Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is in the right forum, my question involves the health risk of equipment in our facility. Hope someone can help.

I am not a boxer but I work in a recreation facility which has both a heavy bag and speed bag for our users. We've had this equipment for several years and it has been increasing in popularity every year, so much so that we replace the speed bag several times per year and the heavy bag almost yearly. Recently I have notice people using the speed bag without gloves or hand wraps of any kind. The last guy I saw had ripped his knuckles to shreds and was getting blood all over the speed bag. We made him put the bag in a hazardous bag, then we had to clean it.

Here's my question. Should we be requiring all users to wear gloves or hand wraps? Besides the blood factor, this also appears to put excessive wear on the bags.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
bdb300 said:
Not sure if this is in the right forum, my question involves the health risk of equipment in our facility. Hope someone can help.

I am not a boxer but I work in a recreation facility which has both a heavy bag and speed bag for our users. We've had this equipment for several years and it has been increasing in popularity every year, so much so that we replace the speed bag several times per year and the heavy bag almost yearly. Recently I have notice people using the speed bag without gloves or hand wraps of any kind. The last guy I saw had ripped his knuckles to shreds and was getting blood all over the speed bag. We made him put the bag in a hazardous bag, then we had to clean it.

Here's my question. Should we be requiring all users to wear gloves or hand wraps? Besides the blood factor, this also appears to put excessive wear on the bags.

Thanks in advance!
its your establishment so its your choice, these idiots obviously have knowledge of boxing if there hitting the bags without any protection though.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Since its your place, the nice thing is you have the say. I would require hand protection for both of the bags (minimum of handwraps on the speed bag, and bag gloves on the heavy bag.
The idiot hitting the speedbag with bloody knuckles should know better. The other thing you could do is keep the speed bag behind the front desk and when a member wants to use it you just clip it right back on there (after you see they have hand protection on). I'm sure your spedbag swivel has a quick disconnect if you replace it that often.
Also, speedbags tend to die quicker when over-inflated, so make sure it isnt "rock" hard like some gyms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! (And I loved the sarcasm!)

The idiot was also kind of a jerk when I suggested he use gloves or hand wraps. Go figure. Although I'm not a boxer I do have the common sense to figure out that if your knuckles are bleeding then maybe you are doing something wrong!

We do keep the speed bag in our equipment room and require it to be checked out. Got smart when the bladder in the first one we purchased popped the second day we had it. Found out it was being used as a kicking bag by a martial arts guy.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts