Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, since I'm planning on joining a gym in a few months, I've got a quick question about nutrition. I work as a tile setter, so on some days I have to drive 2 hours both ways to get to a job site, and then work an 8-10 hour day. So after a quick breakfast and a packed lunch, I sometimes don't have time to have a proper dinner, and often just grab some takeout on the road. What I was wondering, is fast food every once in a while going to completely destroy a training regiment? In these situations would it be better to skip dinner altogether?

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Its never better to skip dinner altogether. You need to get some nutrients in you.

While fast food isnt a good idea (it usually contains ALOT of calories and fat) if there isnt another option, than its ok to do every now and again. I would at least mix it up. Go to a WAWA or 7eleven or Sheetz or equivalent in your location, and get a fresh sandwich made instead of a greasy burger and fries. Most of these places have egg salad, tuna fish, chicken salad, etc which can all deliver some better protein and nutrients. Plus you can grab some fruit or a health bar for a snack there.

In short though, it wont kill your workout regimen, but one thing you WILL notice, is that eating fast food provides you with less energy. I've noticed this in my workouts and sports sessions. When I eat healthier, Im able to perform at a higher level and more consistently.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Most fast-food places have alternatives now to their usual greesy menu. Look into those. I have the same problem, and I have found stuff just about everywhere that you can eat without plunging your arteries with fat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll try to stick to the healthier choices such as Subway, Tim Hortons, and stuff like that.

Since I'm in this thread anyway, I might as well propose another quick question. Would BBQ'd food like steak be considered bad? I figured it couldn't be too harmful because of the protein, and because of the way it's cooked (Not fried or anything like that). Steak done on the BBQ is one of my favorite foods and it would be a drag to half to cut it out of my diet, haha.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It depends. If you don't mind a little fat in your diet then you are good to go. If you are on a strict diet then you need to look for lower fat cuts of meat. Get the most red you can find, the more white the more fat.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Your body is a machine, you have to put the right fuel in your body for it to function properly.

Yes Fast Food can defeat the purpose of a high intensity workout or training session.

I suggest packing dinner too or stopping somewhere else to get a better dinner. You could just stop into outback steakhouse and order a steak and potatoes. It's not too expensive but it's better than a big mac and greasy fries.

I sometimes need to pack dinner if I'm out all day.

For example I'll pack some Lean Ground Beef (already cooked with seasoning) stir fry vegetables and maybe bring an apple with water.

I eat it cold but it's all the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am a low-carb nut, so I would reccomend that if you have to eat fast food, drink water or at worst diet soda, and eat sandwhiches or hamburgers without the bread and fries. And they often have salad at fast food places, so concentrate on the vegetables and meat. Greasy isn't good, but it is refined sugar and starch that really packs on the weight.

Just my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts