Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite weightclass to watch and why?

Obviously the Welterweight division is clearly at the forefront because of all the talent currently flooding it, but other than welters I would have to say that my favorite class to watch is the Lightweights. In a good lightweight fight you really get boxing in its purest form. No over the top hammer throwing. Scoring with jabs, strong combos, and technique is what I like in a fight, and Welterweights and Lightweights get me my boxing fix.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
All time favorite is problaby MW, u get to see some beutiful boxers and some killer knockouts aswell. Right now its ofc ww with like u said LW and jr.lw coming second.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
147 then 130.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
135, 147, 160. In that order. Boxing is so much better at the lesser weights. I don't think I will ever be a heavyweight fan again.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I guess I like all good boxing. The weight doesn't really matter as long as the guys can actually move around on there feet and execute all sides of the game.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
If talent were the same in all divisions, and all things were equal...I think I would say middleweight as well. The balance of speed and power at that weight is great.

But for the current setup, without a doubt 147. LOADED with great boxers.

The lighter weights have been extremely entertaining in the last 5 years.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Im going to say middle weight. Sometimes at the lower waits it kind of takes the nerves off when you know the fighter your rooting for isn't going to get knocked out with one punch. Most of the lower weight classes its harder to find a boxer with that sort of power (i'm not saying they cant, just a lot less fighters have it) I feel in middle weight you have a great mixture of raw power but its much harder for fighters to rely on that power becuase middleweights still are pretty fast. You don't have many Shannon briggs type characters in the MW division, but you do have Pavliks and Miranda's.

MW because its diversity of fighters and styles while still having the feeling that one punch reverses the entire fight.

-Melty

·
Registered
830 Posts
It is all about the boxers.

If the best boxers are at welterweight then that is my favourite, if the welterweight class then goes down hill because of retirements and fighters ageing then it might be that we have a great era of middleweights or super middleweights or heavyweights etc...

It is ALL about the boxers out there at the time, the competition they have at the time and the fighs that get made and how good they are...

So it is NEVER one weight class over another IMHO, at least it isn't for me.

I can say that I loved the welterweights when we had Ray Leonard, Duran and Hearns. But when they moved up to middleweight and joing Hagler, then it was middleweight. During the 70s one of the best divisions was the heavyweights. In the mid 90s the one of the best weights was super middleweight for me. Cruiseweight used to be a graveyard weight, it was for fighters that couldn't get down to middleweight or more likely couldn't get up to heavyweight...without getting tanked at least. So Cruiserweight used to be a rubbish weight class, but that is not the case at the moment is it?

For me it just all depends on the people in a division and certainly great fights make great fighters and that makes a great division...

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Basically anything above 118... I usually end up watching lower weight bouts but its not the same thing, I mean I never expect something great to happen and it doenst bring me so much hype once those guys dont look like any threat, I mean they're so small when the referee is close to them..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts