Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Buboy's Trainer
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a favourite nickname of a boxer? Or do you guys have any nicknames in the ring? What are the good or bad nicknames in boxing or in sports in general.

lol Ali "The Greatest" is so cheap. lol.. but in a good way.. thats like the superhero name Superman.. You know you can't be beat if your super.. and supposedly you can't be beat if your the greatest

·
Registered
198 Posts
My favorite is "The Real Deal" Holyfield. just sounds kooler than H-E- double hockey sticks.

Others that just sound great

Bonecrusher -- Intimidating as hell..

Light Outs

Big Daddy -- does kinda of sound like a pimp

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
1,000 Posts
I don't know what my favorite one is... but the stupidest ones are...

Carl The Truth Williams (The Truth? What does that mean? That doesn't sound cool or intimidating at all!)

Jermain Bad Intentions Taylor (Great boxer... really stupid and over the top nick name... and too long!)

I reckon the most commonly used one is "The Hurricane"... I could be wrong about that... but I know a lot of 'canes!

·
Buboy's Trainer
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
White Tyson said:
I don't know what my favorite one is... but the stupidest ones are...

Carl The Truth Williams (The Truth? What does that mean? That doesn't sound cool or intimidating at all!)

Jermain Bad Intentions Taylor (Great boxer... really stupid and over the top nick name... and too long!)

I reckon the most commonly used one is "The Hurricane"... I could be wrong about that... but I know a lot of 'canes!
lol i dont think the nickname "The truth" can work in any sport, probablly a trivia game.. ahaha now that would sound intimidating.

I like The Golden Boy, sounds cool, doesn't sound intimidating but it just rolls off the tounge

·
Registered
132 Posts
Larry "the Legend" Donald. Where is this guy a legend? In his own mind maybe.

I like sugar but a lot of people have that. Sugar Shane, Sugar Ray. The Golden boy is good. Also Iron Mike Tyson.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I like anything that is intimidating in the nick-names. I like James "Lights Out" Toney, James Bonecrusher" Smith, "Iron" Mike Tyson, "The Easton Asassine" Larry Holmes, and "The Brockton Blockbuster" Rocky Marciano is all right, it can sort of be a tongue twister though. I don't like the nicknames Michael "The Spinks Jinx", Carl "The Truth" Williams, "Pretty Boy" Floyd Maywhether jr.

·
1,000 Posts
My favorite of all time would have to be "The Raging Bull" or "The Bronx Bull" from the boxer I try to imitate... Jake LaMotta. I love his style... and I loved the movie! :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like Arturo "Thunder" Gatti even though "thunder" is right up there with "hurricane".

My favorite is probably Nigel Benn - The Dark Destroyer.

I don't know why some boxers would let a nickname that comes from a flippin' cereal box or a cartoon character stick

Tony "The Tiger" Lopez or
Eric "Mighty Mouse" Aiken.

Fortunately, Kermit Citron was smart enough to stay away from that crap.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
I like names that the fighters live up to. Like "Lights Out" and The Golden Boy.

·
1,000 Posts
I like the nickname Winky... whick prompts me to ask a question!

On all the posters and advertisements for a Winky Wright fight... it is always written as... for example...

John Smith vs. Winky Wright

Now... I've never seen the announcers before a Winky Wrights fight but when they introduce him... do they say...

Ronald "Winky" Wright

OR

Winky Wright

Is it like Clubber Lang (Mr. T's character from Rocky III) in which they use his nickname and his Christian name and that's it?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Worst nickname is "The Truth". This makes no sense what so ever. The best is "Lights Out" and "Hands of Stone".

If I had a nickname it would be "The Cerebral Assassin" that sounds intimidating and fits into boxing as a sweet science. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tua has two nicknames, one that is really stupid "THe TUAMAN"

and one that I thought was very fitting "The Terminator"

Also Lance Whitaker is another with 2 nicknames of with one is really stupid (Goofi), and one that sounds kinda of cool. (Mount Whitaker)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I kind of like Manny's; "Pacman," "The Destroyer", and ang Pambansang Kamao ( the national fist) which is favorite.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
White Tyson they intro him as Ronald "Winky" Wright. And when I compete I have 2 names one is "The Prince Of Power" and the other is "The Unbeatable" I never got feed back on the names so what do you think?

·
Buboy's Trainer
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
prettyboywho said:
White Tyson they intro him as Ronald "Winky" Wright. And when I compete I have 2 names one is "The Prince Of Power" and the other is "The Unbeatable" I never got feed back on the names so what do you think?
What's your whole name, it has to connect fluently to sound good. lol First Name, Nick Name, Last Name

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
It goes well. "The Unbeatable" Ron Fields or Ron "The Prince Of Power" Fields?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ron "The Prince Of Power" Fields is the better of the two nicknames. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Yea I kinda like that one better to. Thanks Kameleon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts