Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did this guy have the potential to be a great fighter if he hadn't been rushed along so much? I remember how damn good he looked when he was coming through the ranks, and the fact that he managed to get decision victories over both Ike Quartey & Winky Wright (both very close).

Had he not been thrown in at the deepend with a monster like Tito, how do you think he would have faired? And could he have been an ATG had he not been caught up an era with the likes of Trinidad, De La Hoya & Mosley?

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Did this guy have the potential to be a great fighter if he hadn't been rushed along so much? I remember how damn good he looked when he was coming through the ranks, and the fact that he managed to get decision victories over both Ike Quartey & Winky Wright (both very close).

Had he not been thrown in at the deepend with a monster like Tito, how do you think he would have faired? And could he have been an ATG had he not been caught up an era with the likes of Trinidad, De La Hoya & Mosley?
Vargas ultimately would have ended right where he is now, a grade below Tito, Oscar, Shane, and Winky. He'll be rating alongside fighters like Quartey, Forrest, and Hector Camacho. His career would be elongated spreading out his tough fights better, but the ends would have been the same.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts

He could have become great if he wasn't rushed...however he was always below Tito, Oscar and Mosley IMO.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
I've always liked Vargas, but like has been said.. he was always a step below Tito, Oscar & Mosley.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts