Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alfredo Angulo vs Richard Gutierrez

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my vote goes for Israel Vazquez vs. Rafael Marquez...... there are no 2 guys better suited in the ring for each other.......

close second would be Miguel Cotto vs. Anotnio Margarito.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I voted Cotto vs Margy, altho i think Casamayor vs Katsidis should be there instead of Casa vs Marquez

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I don't want to gat on your poll but, some of the picks are a no go. Pacquiao-Diaz was a one sided beatdown, no way it's even close to FOTY. Casamayor-Marquez was a great boxing match with a great ending, but that doesn't qualify it for FOTY. And Torres-Holt might have been too short, I watched that one a couple days ago and noticed it was over in a 1 minute and 2 seconds, it might be round of the year or knockout of the year against Prescott-Khan.

Casamayor-Katsidis, Pacquiao-Marquez II, Luevan-Santiago, Arce-Concepcion, Chavez-Vanda, Angulo-Gaccia, Duddy-Smichet, are good candidates, to add to the first 2 or 3.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Yeah, the poll kind of sucks, but I think it's pretty obvious which 3 fights were really foty worthy and they are listed.

·
Blood Clot Jungle Techno
403 Posts
Obvious really.

Nothing this year compares to the war of Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito back in July. It's a shame that Arturo Gatti is retired as all his fights were a right action slugfest! Gatti and Ward say no more!!!

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I went with Margarito-Cotto. Vasquez-Marquez III was great with a lot of back and forth action but not as dramatic as watching Cotto outboxing Margarito with ease and then getting hurt gradually it was like watching a guy getting slowly crushed by a brick wall. And the outcome makes it great.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I went with Margarito-Cotto. Vasquez-Marquez III was great with a lot of back and forth action but not as dramatic as watching Cotto outboxing Margarito with ease and then getting hurt gradually it was like watching a guy getting slowly crushed by a brick wall. And the outcome makes it great.
The 12th round of Marquez-Vazquez 3 was way more dramatic than Cotto-Margarito. It's easily the fight of the year. With Casamayor-Katsidis as the runner up.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
It's basically a two horse race between Vasquez/Marquez and Margarito/Cotto. I went with the former based upon the drama that had been building thanks to their first two epic clashes and the unfinished business, plus the twelfth round was one of those unforgettable "willing ones self to a win" type performances by Israel Vasquez, pound-for-pound the toughest man in the sport. That being said, I wouldn't take any issue with anyone who would go with Margarito/Cotto. Definitely as important a chapter in the Mexico/Puerto Rico rivalry as any other. Any year that has Paquiao/Marquez II coming in as the third best fight of the year is a good year in my book.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
It's basically a two horse race between Vasquez/Marquez and Margarito/Cotto. I went with the former based upon the drama that had been building thanks to their first two epic clashes and the unfinished business, plus the twelfth round was one of those unforgettable "willing ones self to a win" type performances by Israel Vasquez, pound-for-pound the toughest man in the sport. That being said, I wouldn't take any issue with anyone who would go with Margarito/Cotto. Definitely as important a chapter in the Mexico/Puerto Rico rivalry as any other. Any year that has Paquiao/Marquez II coming in as the third best fight of the year is a good year in my book.
The year ain't over yet ;)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The year ain't over yet ;)
Haha, I almost forgot. So which fight do you think has the best chance to overtake Vasquez/Marquez III for FOY honors? I'm expecting big things from Mijares/Darchinyan despite all the Vic naysayers as well as the Taylor/Lacy bout. Maybe Oscar and Manny can produce one for the ages...

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I think Oscar Pacquiao will be ALOT better than people think. I think Hatton Malignaggi may be one hell of a fight as well because both can most likely take the others best shot which will give us a ton of action since they both have had some disappointing performances. Taylor/Lacy may be boring, but it definently has the possibility to be a gunfight. I think Jones/Calzaghe will be interesting, Bhop/Pavlik will be a little better than bhop/winky and mijares/vic will be great while it last.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
My top 3 list so far

1. Margy vs Cotto
2. Casa vs Katsidis
3. Marquez vs Vazquez III

I watched Casa vs Katsidis last night and i totally forgot how competitive that match was, Katsidis was winning the majority of the rounds and the ending was sick, Juan Diaz wouldave had much more problems with Katsidis if he had fought Diaz like he fought Casamayor altho the outcome wouldnt change.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
The 12th round of Marquez-Vazquez 3 was way more dramatic than Cotto-Margarito. It's easily the fight of the year. With Casamayor-Katsidis as the runner up.
It was a great fight no doubt but the fact that Cotto was undefeated and the betting favorite and all the talk about Oscar or Floyd fighting the winner just added to the drama.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts