Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What potential HOF'ers should hang em up before 2009?

My list:

Roy Jones - Calzaghe tore him to shreds. When Roy Jones is getting outclassed in the speed department, you know it's time ot hang em up. It was sad to see really.

Oscar De La Hoya - Something tells me that DLH may be back to fight again but I sure hope not. It's becoming a bit of a joke, fighters are just using him as a springboard to the big day.

Bernard Hopkins - Anything that B-Hop does next year couldn't rival what he did against Pavlik. He's 43 years old. How many guys can say that the last fight of their career was their best?

Antonio Tarver - He's done being a legitimate contender in the light heavyweight division. Dawson made sure of that. It's time to move on to other things such as endorsements or Rocky VII.

Evander Holyfield and Hasim Rahman should have retired years ago but at this point neither one is really even worth mentioning. Hopefully they both get ushered out the door this month by brutal KO.

Agree? Disagree? Anyone to add?

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
On the bolded list only Roy needs to retire, but he won't.

Non-bolded, I'd like to see Holyfield hang em up after he loses his championship fight coming up... He fights much longer and he very well may die in the ring. I'd like to see Toney get his official win over Rahman before he hangs it up. Maybe if Rahman turns back the clock and KOs china chin it will happen :laugh:

·
Registered
224 Posts
add

All fighters over 35
Judah
Arce
Morales + Barrera (heard a rumour they may fight again)
Calzaghe

Badger In Asia

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Bernard Hopkins should stay man..cmon now. He has a couple more fights in him and i can't wait to see him in the ring again no doubt i'll be buying it if its pay per view. Hopkins is here to stay.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Bernard Hopkins should stay man..cmon now. He has a couple more fights in him and i can't wait to see him in the ring again no doubt i'll be buying it if its pay per view. Hopkins is here to stay.
I agree with you 100%, but the main question though is who else is out there (next to Cal) that can quench Hopkins thirst for supremacy? Some may say Dawson, but I don't believe that beating him will improve his legacy that much. RJ is washed up, Cal is running from a rematch. The only thing I can think of is Hopkins moving up to crusierweight and obtain a title there (highly unlikely), or fight Jermain Taylor @ LHW. I would love to see Hopkins fight JT again.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Unfortately Hopkins is in a horrible division. He can either move down in weight or move up. Theres really no one he can fight...Hopkins Vs. Jones II would make money but i dont wanna see Jones get his ass whooped again. I don't wanna watch Bernard fight Dawson either. Dawson is overrated and too green. Thinking about it...no one to fight in his division.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
I agree with you 100%, but the main question though is who else is out there (next to Cal) that can quench Hopkins thirst for supremacy? Some may say Dawson, but I don't believe that beating him will improve his legacy that much. RJ is washed up, Cal is running from a rematch. The only thing I can think of is Hopkins moving up to crusierweight and obtain a title there (highly unlikely), or fight Jermain Taylor @ LHW. I would love to see Hopkins fight JT again.
JT got 2 wins over him, why in god's name would he fight him again? I know you want Hopkins to get those losses avenged but it's not a smart decision for Taylor to make.

As for Dawson, you can't be serious. Beating Pavlik and Dawson back to back and he's become the next Archie Moore. It's nearly a guarantee these kids go on to dominate the MW and LHW divisions. The issue isn't not getting legacy from beating Dawson, the issue is he most likely loses to Dawson. Come now, lets be real. He lost to Taylor twice. Dawson is an upgrade from Taylor, and offers the same things that Taylor gave Hopkins problem with, speed and combinations. Dawson actually has better stamina than Taylor, so he can keep on doing what Taylor did well all 12 rounds, or 11, he make take 1 round off.

Hopkins needs to keep hounding Calzaghe. If he can't get him, he can go beat Johnson again since when he beat him the first time Johnson wasn't a great fighter. As for the Cruiserweight division, I don't think it's a good idea, but he'll definitely get any fight he wants. Problem is the ring champ is going to be Cunningham, and that's a problem 82 inches in reach long. I'd give him the nod over Cunningham tho, that fight would have to happen in Philly. I'd be in attendance. I'd really like to see Hopkins go out like that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not saying Hopkins doesn't have any more fight in him. It's quite the opposite. I just think that anything he does from here on out will pale in comparison to the Pavlik fight and theres always a chance he loses and some of that luster from the Pavlik fight get lost. That would be a shame.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jones needs to retire, no question about that. Maybe Oscar has one fight left in him at 154, even if it's a win against JCC Jr. to go out on (if he can even beat him now). Hopkins should retire unless he's up for handing Dawson his first defeat or Calzaghe offers him a rematch (unlikely). It would be great for Hop's legacy if he went out on the Pavlik win. Tarver is a washed up C level fighter now, he should probably retire now too because he's not getting any better.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Oscar de la hoya should retire immediately. He did just as worse as Roy Jones. Roy Jones lasted 12 rounds and you're saying Roy should retire but Oscar may have one fight left in him? No way..they both should retire and Oscars the one who should be the first one to do so.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oscar de la hoya should retire immediately. He did just as worse as Roy Jones. Roy Jones lasted 12 rounds and you're saying Roy should retire but Oscar may have one fight left in him? No way..they both should retire and Oscars the one who should be the first one to do so.
Fighters don't just fall off the rails so quickly like that, alot had to do with him being weight drained and weak. He might still have some fight left in him at 154 but then again he might not. I can almost garantee he won't retire on the back of a whooping like that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hopkins will be fighting til he's too old. He has too much fight in him left.
Yea and that's unfortunate. Just another reason I'd love for him to retire on top. Bernard's got a couple more great fights left in him but so did Lennox Lewis and Lennox has immortalized himself, being one of three 3 Heavyweights in history to retire on top.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Yea and that's unfortunate. Just another reason I'd love for him to retire on top. Bernard's got a couple more great fights left in him but so did Lennox Lewis and Lennox looks like a genius, being one of three 3 Heavyweights in history to retire on top.
History does not care if you retire on top... you get no criticism for retiring after you're no longer capable of beating quality opposition. Other way around however, you will be criticized. Hopkins doesn't have to do anymore to be greater than anyone fighting today, but if he's chasing higher ATG status there is more work to be done.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
What potential HOF'ers should hang em up before 2009?

My list:

Roy Jones - Calzaghe tore him to shreds. When Roy Jones is getting outclassed in the speed department, you know it's time ot hang em up. It was sad to see really.

Oscar De La Hoya - Something tells me that DLH may be back to fight again but I sure hope not. It's becoming a bit of a joke, fighters are just using him as a springboard to the big day.

Bernard Hopkins - Anything that B-Hop does next year couldn't rival what he did against Pavlik. He's 43 years old. How many guys can say that the last fight of their career was their best?

Antonio Tarver - He's done being a legitimate contender in the light heavyweight division. Dawson made sure of that. It's time to move on to other things such as endorsements or Rocky VII.

Evander Holyfield and Hasim Rahman should have retired years ago but at this point neither one is really even worth mentioning. Hopefully they both get ushered out the door this month by brutal KO.

Agree? Disagree? Anyone to add?
Same exact list for same exact reasons :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts