Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I regularly spar with a friend of mine that has been boxing for 5 years. He is much more experienced and though I can keep up with him when throwing punches from a distance he always gets the better out of it when fighting from the inside...

I jab a lot with him to keep him from coming in but at times you know it will happen...

He is a couple inches shorter than me and I feel very uncomfortable when he puts his head to my chest as I feel he will get the better. Is it possible to hit someone shorter with body punches as I could not hit properly since all I see is his back!?

What do you recommend I do to start giving him a tough time...? Is pushing a good idea. When I push with my hand and lean over him an uppercut from him always seems to be the answer. Thanks mates for any help...

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
If you're the taller guy then you should throw uppercuts when he gets inside. If he's slipping your jab then double it, tripple it and mix it up with some hard right hands.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man! In fact the uppercut just comes naturally..

when he starts slipping jabs to get inside...thanks again

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
It's the rope a dope. It's when you lay back against the ropes covering up and letting your opponents punch himself out. Then when he's tired you start firing back. Watch Ali vs Foreman.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I think he meant "Rope-A-Dope", one of Ali's signature moves. Its basically a defensive tactic where you let your opponent go to work on you while your on the ropes, making him miss, wearing him out, and countering. Stick with giving your friend a barrage of uppercuts when he comes in. Try jab-uppercut, jab-R uppercut-L uppercut. Give him some hooks while he's inside too and when he raises his gloves put your uppercuts in. You can also double your jab up if he's slipping your shots like balistik said, jab-jab-straight right etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks ;-). Yeah I do note the rope a dope in Muhammad Ali's (along other boxers) fights and I think it makes a lot of sense...

I also use the momentum gained from the rope to pounce onto the opponent once the attack slows down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts