Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be having my first amateur fight on the last week of next January and am very excited!

I have been boxing for almost a year now but have been weight training and running for 5 years so though my technique it still not so advanced my fitness level is very good!

I am of medium build. Stand at 5'10 and weigh 76kg at the moment. When I diet down for summer months (no extreme rip just to reduce a bit my body fat) I get down to 72kg. At this weight I can run faster and for longer but then my strenght decreases in the gym. What would be my best body weight to fight with guys? Should I lose some weight to increase stamina or what guys?

Also I will be weighed in 2 days (approx. 48 hours) before the fight night. I know that many people stay dehydrated to lose water weight and be in the lowest possible weight class. How is the procedure to do this? Thanks for your help:thumbsup:!

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
You got a dilema in which your going to have to find a neutral ground as for Stamina and power are equally important in Boxing, for now I would advice you to concentrate on stamina as most amateurs go for broke in the first round, so it would be to your advantage to be able to hold their initial surge off, but have enough left to finish strong, as far as thecnique keep it simple, master the jab as this will be your primary weapon, it hast to be fast and acurate, and learn to move your body and head out of the way , a still fighter is an easy target, if you have a coach alternate rounds were you simply concentrate on avoiding punches, also learn to tie up just in case, some times seconds to clear your head make all the difference good luck...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man! Much appreciated advice you gave me...

As for sparring I already do some rounds where I am focused on defense and only throw one or 2 jabs at a time ;-)...

Also at the time I am running 30 minutes twice a week at a light-medium jogging pace with a heart rate of approx. 150-160 BPM (dist. of approx. 6 kms). Should I up the time or the pace of my jog? Thanks team!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts