Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys first time blogger!! Anyway I have my first amatuer match in a week and I am looking to improve!! Been boxiung for a few years and I am 75kg about 5.7 and a box in a mixed stance and Im a bit of a brawler. At the moment I am working on my speed and techinque as power isnt really and issue for me. Now I have a problem!! I have developed a tell! My left drops slightly beofe every jab I do and I am having problems pivoting of my left foot while I am throwing my left hook!!

Now I am boxing 5-6 times a week (1-2 hours min) doing push ups (1 set of wide hands, one set of diamond stars, one set of close and one set each hand of one hand push ups) and sit ups (crunches, leg raises, braces, rowes extra) every night I am on multivitmans and Nutritional balance pills but i cant run cause I get killer pians of the front of my calves.

Eating big breakfast (multigrian, toast and a banana) pretty decent lunch (Rice and meet) and salad for dinner. Also cut out alchoal completly

Any advice on how to fix my technique or trianing regime would be great!

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like everyone else said, focus on hard cardio right up until 2-3 days before the fight, and focus on fixing up those little things that'll help you during your fight.

As for the fight itself: Stay relaxed. The biggest reason that most first-timers gas is because of nerves. They get so wound up that when fight time comes they're already exhausted, their movements come out stiff and awkward, and sometimes they even freeze up and just forget everything. Be comfortable. Tell yourself that it's no big deal, you're gonna kick his butt, you're totally ready, ect. Also, in my experience fights between new fighters usually have a stud and a bitch. Don't be the latter. Be aggressive, set the pace, fight your fight, whatever. Just make it clear to him from the getgo that YOU are the boss and that it's YOUR fight to win.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, that was really well said DempseyRoll thank you lol. Hopefully I'll be having my first bout in about a month.

Oh and hello everyone I'm new to this forum. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whoa Thanks guys

I'm really impressed by the advice and the number of responses I have been given so thanks to all who posted!

So got a few new questions quick update fight is on friday and it is monday night in australia. Today i took myself and really tested my fitness capacity and I am happy! I think I am fit enough (amatuer fight is only three rounds)! At 2.30 I went to my gym and managed to do a non stop hard run and bike for forty minutes without being really tired. I then went at 6 and did a hard cardio boxing session for an hour and a half before doing 2 x 3 minutes rounds going pretty intense before doing additional sit ups and push up bag trianing!!

Now all the guys at my gym give me the same advice I got here namely take it easy for a few days before your fight. But what does easy mean? Do i continue lightly trianing and still do my sit ups (Im afriad my abs will go if I dont work on them daily) or do I just stop flat?

Also whats the best meal before the fight poeple tell me low gi and lots of carbs but to be honest Im a pretty **** cook and I dont really know what has low gi.

Anyway thanks for the help thus far!

p.s its not that Im afriad of getting hurt, its that I am terrified of losing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Now all the guys at my gym give me the same advice I got here namely take it easy for a few days before your fight. But what does easy mean? Do i continue lightly trianing and still do my sit ups (Im afriad my abs will go if I dont work on them daily) or do I just stop flat?
Don't do any hard sparring or anything that could lead to you injuring yourself, and don't do any difficult workouts. Do some light stuff if you feel that you have to, but the 2-3 days are supposed to be used as recovery days so that your body's in tip-top shape for the fight.

Also whats the best meal before the fight poeple tell me low gi and lots of carbs but to be honest Im a pretty **** cook and I dont really know what has low gi.
What to eat before a fight kind of differs between different people. I can eat just about anything before a match and I'll be fine, just as long as I've got something in my belly. On the other hand, some people can't eat anything at all without getting sick. Outside of that, some kind of pasta or something with a lot of complex carbs would be good. Failing that, something with a lot of protein.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It doesn't really matter either way. Going cold turkey is fine, as long as you warm up properly and shake the rust off before your fight. I prefer to do a little bit of exercise just because my body's so used to it that I get really restless if I don't. Nothing big, just the sort of nice, easy stuff that you'd normally do as a warmup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright guys I have a not so funny story to tell. So I come in on wednesday for my final light trianing session before my match and my coach tell's me the fight has fallen through and he can't find somone for me to fight He says hes sorry and i say I understand. I dont get angry I just tell him im really dissapointed because
I put alot of hard work in and I feel like its all for nothing. So we trian then as Im about to hit the showers he goes and gets this other guy and puts him in the ring with me puts him on head gear and 16 ounce gloves on us tapes us up and tells us he is going we are going to have a fight. I kind iof think he was tryign to make up for the fact my match got cancelled but its not the same

So this other kid is not a great boxer and he hasnt been trianing like I have been trianing so its not really fair and my coach gets us to go 3 x 3 minute rounds and I just tear the kid up, which aint somethign im really proud off I was just really pissed off and i kind of lost control and now Im really annoyed at my coach one cause he sent somone else he was meant to be trianing in to get hurt and two i think he sees me as just a thug who wants to hurt people.

I mean i like to fight but i liek to fight poeple who are as good if nto better than me or atleast a challange i dont want hurt somone if i wnated that Id go and pick fights at a bar's.

Anyway thats my story thanks for all the advice guys

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Something similar happened to me fight wise. I was told I had a fight, so I drove an hour and a half away to go to it. When I got there, the person said "Oh, you don't have a fight I was just hoping the other people would show up even though they weren't told to." I was furious.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts