Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WBC Welterweight champion and pound-for-pound kingpin Floyd Mayweather, Jr. has discussed recent rumors of his return to the ring. Mayweather, fresh off a tenth round stoppage over Briton Ricky Hatton, had previously announced a lengthy hiatus from the sport - possibly as long as two years.

Citing a recent spate of fighters moving down in weight as their careers progressed, the "Pretty Boy" speculated that he may consider future fights at a lower weight class, possibly junior welterweight or lightweight. "Shane came back down. Oscar is going down. Winky just fought Bernard at 170, but he wanted to fight Oscar at 154. Ricky Hatton went back to junior welterweight, and he weighs more than me. I've always said that weights don't win fights. Skills pay the bills. When I come back, it will be for the biggest fights and the biggest names. It it don't make dollars, it don't make sense."

"Money" Mayweather addressed the issue of the challenges of making weight. "For me, it's not an issue. At all. I've always been in great shape. Me and Ricky talked about fighting at 140, but he didn't want to put his belt at risk. I never go above 150. Not even between fights. When I fought Arturo Gatti, he was 158, 159 something like that. I saw Stevie Forbes and Bojado. They were, what, 156 and 159. For a fight that was supposed to be at 140. So, you know, we'll just have to see."

While Mayweather did not specifically discuss future opponents, the indications are that he has an interest in facing current p4p companion Manny Pacquiao. While a size disparity is perceived, the Filipino idol struggled to make weight for his last bout vs. Mexican legend Marco Antonio Barrera. By fight time, Pacquiao had rehydrated to 144 pounds. WBO superfeatherweight titlist Joan Guzman, often mentioned as a potential opponent for Pacquaio, had had similar weight challenges. The Dominican rising star weighed 148 pounds for his bout with hard-hitting Humberto Soto.

Says Mayweather, "I'm going to talk to my team, and talk to Mark Taffet at HBO. We'll give the fans what they want."

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I think mayweathers a better fighter at 135 - 140. Although moving back down i think he would be missing the biggest of fights including cotto, mosley and a rematch with de la hoya. I cant see either of the fighters moving down to 140 they will probs stay at welter.

Pacquiao would be a good match up only if floyd gets to the lightweight or even superfeather weight. Thats a superfight

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
I could see a Mayweather/Pacquiao fight at 140, but not below that.
I'm liking the things that Im hearing from Floyd these days. Taking fights for the fans, stepping up against the best competition...its refreshing that he wants to create a memorable legacy.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
This is great news although its bs but the fact that floyd is talking boxing means he'll be back. although it'll still be at 147. Mayweather may be able to make 140 but man it would be hard. He is a naturally lightewight but the kind of muscle he put on to be a welterweight isnt going anywehre easy. Thats hard stuff to get off, its not bulk muscle, its lean muscle. He'll be fighting cotto at 147 after cotto beats oscar.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Oh boy , anyways Momoneymay shouldn't risk his strenght by going back down to 135 that's crazy ,at his age he shouldn't push his luck ,the match between him and Pacman can easiely be made at 145 if paciao really wants it ,that would be the only fight out there worth going down for ,there's still fortunes to be made at 147-155 ok no?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think it's a good thing Mayweather is looking for the best fights as he says and if the fans want him down in weight class then thats what he will do..... I just hope it is not an easy way out for him to duck the rest of the guys in his class, such as a big fight with Miguel Cotto, Antonio Margarito, Paul Williams...etc. I think he should finish off the Division and then make a change in weight. Go out like a P4P champ would.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
He'll fight cotto next, no doubt, but i would personally love to see him vs pac at 140. Its actually fairly fiar in weights, although mayweather would win, it would still be the first time p4p 1 and p4p 2 fight each other. It would be another historic event to add to the mayweather legacy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
He'll fight cotto next, no doubt, but i would personally love to see him vs pac at 140. Its actually fairly fiar in weights, although mayweather would win, it would still be the first time p4p 1 and p4p 2 fight each other. It would be another historic event to add to the mayweather legacy.
your right! I think also that the next fight will have to be Cotto, 1. to set his legacy in stone as one of the greatest P4P fighters in History. 2. i think everyone wants to see a Cotto Mayweather fight take place it's what the fans want for sure. A Pac man, Mayweather showdown will have to be the biggest fight out there as far as status goes can't wait to see that match up.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
WBC Welterweight champion and pound-for-pound kingpin Floyd Mayweather, Jr. has discussed recent rumors of his return to the ring. Mayweather, fresh off a tenth round stoppage over Briton Ricky Hatton, had previously announced a lengthy hiatus from the sport - possibly as long as two years.

Citing a recent spate of fighters moving down in weight as their careers progressed, the "Pretty Boy" speculated that he may consider future fights at a lower weight class, possibly junior welterweight or lightweight. "Shane came back down. Oscar is going down. Winky just fought Bernard at 170, but he wanted to fight Oscar at 154. Ricky Hatton went back to junior welterweight, and he weighs more than me. I've always said that weights don't win fights. Skills pay the bills. When I come back, it will be for the biggest fights and the biggest names. It it don't make dollars, it don't make sense."

"Money" Mayweather addressed the issue of the challenges of making weight. "For me, it's not an issue. At all. I've always been in great shape. Me and Ricky talked about fighting at 140, but he didn't want to put his belt at risk. I never go above 150. Not even between fights. When I fought Arturo Gatti, he was 158, 159 something like that. I saw Stevie Forbes and Bojado. They were, what, 156 and 159. For a fight that was supposed to be at 140. So, you know, we'll just have to see."

While Mayweather did not specifically discuss future opponents, the indications are that he has an interest in facing current p4p companion Manny Pacquiao. While a size disparity is perceived, the Filipino idol struggled to make weight for his last bout vs. Mexican legend Marco Antonio Barrera. By fight time, Pacquiao had rehydrated to 144 pounds. WBO superfeatherweight titlist Joan Guzman, often mentioned as a potential opponent for Pacquaio, had had similar weight challenges. The Dominican rising star weighed 148 pounds for his bout with hard-hitting Humberto Soto.

Says Mayweather, "I'm going to talk to my team, and talk to Mark Taffet at HBO. We'll give the fans what they want."
I'm curious, when and to who did Mayweather say this to. What's your source?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
The only two fights that really make any sense for Mayweather right now is Cotto at 147 and/or Pacman at 140

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Can you imagine the money available for those fights. Bad thing is they are both arum fighters, hopefully mayewather can get past that.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Pac might not be able to bang with the guys at 135, and now he might go up to 140?????? Booo to this fight! This is a joke.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
floyd is no legitimate welterweight, hes only a little bigger than pac naturally, a few pounds now adays. Pac walks around bigger than floyd, and pac isnt fat when he walks around either.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts