Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His opponent for this month’s Wrestlemania 24 is 7 feet tall and weighs 441 pounds, but welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. has other big things on his mind.

“Lately I’ve been upset with my uncle Roger,” Mayweather said Thursday on a conference call promoting the March 30 wrestling extravaganza. “My uncle Roger has been training Steve Forbes. That’s taking money out of my pocket.”

Forbes is the 31-year-old former junior lightweight titlist handpicked to face Oscar De La Hoya this May on HBO. Forbes’ trainer, Roger Mayweather, is also the longtime chief second to nephew Floyd.

De La Hoya hired Freddie Roach to train him for his May 2007 split decision loss to Mayweather. Now, though, he is working once again with Floyd’s father and Roger’s brother, Floyd Mayweather Sr.

To De La Hoya, Forbes is a smaller, quicker boxer who will help get him prepared for a September rematch with Mayweather. But that’s not how Mayweather sees things. Rather, he believes Roger is jeopardizing the best-laid plans – a Forbes victory could cost De La Hoya his shot at revenge, in turn costing both Mayweathers lucrative cuts of the pay-per-view take.

“Right is right and wrong is wrong,” Floyd Mayweather said. “He must realize this. With him training Steve Forbes, he’s taking a ton of money out of his own mouth.

“I told him on numerous occasions, ‘Do not train Steve Forbes,’ ” he said. “And he’s training the guy at my boxing gym.”

Mayweather said he hasn’t spoken with his uncle in nearly a month, when they saw each other at one of Floyd’s many birthday parties. There’s been no falling out, he said, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be a change in his corner.

“If it’s not done within a couple of weeks, then I’m going to get a new trainer,” Mayweather said. “I may have to pay my dad more than what Oscar De La Hoya is paying him.”

Now, I dont know if this is hype for the rematch or if he's serious. But Floyd has no business getting upset at roger. Forbes doesnt have a chance anyways, Roger is just trying to make some money of his own. If Floyd dumps roger I'm going to be disappointed. If forbes beats oscar, then its an upset and then that definently means floyd shouldnt be fighting oscar. Floyd lost a little of my respect with this. I understand wheres he's coming from but come on now.........

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I don\'t see Floyd\'s point. Roger isn\'t solely contracted to Floyd. He\'s just doing what he does. Train fighters. Anyway, once De La Hoya takes care of Forbes this will be a dead issue

·
Registered
472 Posts
if forbes does acctually beat oscar, itll be a HUGE upset and i would rather watch a huge upset rather then floyd and oscar robbing the fans...again

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
What surprises me is that his only other option is his father. I guess only these two can provide with the kind of training regimen he needs. This doesn't sound like it's a big issue but they all got a lot of pride in this family so it could be enough for them to split. Floyd would be greatly diminished without Roger training him and working his corner...

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If forbes beats oscar there will be no floyd vs oscar fight. And if flody would most likely just have leonard ellerbe run camp and floyd would train on his own. Its not like he really needs roger. I would much rather see floyd vs cotto but as long as the floyd vs arum scuffle is going on, I doubt that until next year sometime.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Boxer's get in trouble when their ego's get in the way. If Floyd dumps Roger he will only be hurting himself. Let the guy train Steve Forbes. Forbes at that weight has not the slightest chance in hell at beating Floyd. Just kick back and make the money, May. No need to start acting like a childish biotch now.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
No, I mean, this is what you wrote. ^ You meant Oscar, I know.
I followed you. I just decided to play around with my screw up rather than edit it. I'm half asleep and way high...

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
If forbes beats oscar there will be no floyd vs oscar fight. And if flody would most likely just have leonard ellerbe run camp and floyd would train on his own. Its not like he really needs roger. I would much rather see floyd vs cotto but as long as the floyd vs arum scuffle is going on, I doubt that until next year sometime.
Looks like it's not an issue anymore. But if Floyd trained on his own he wouldn't be as sharp as usual.

1 - 20 of 262 Posts