Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Johnny Benz, DoghouseBoxing (Nov 6, 2008)

In the past I have been vocal with my criticism of Floyd Mayweather Jr, but I have also heaped tons of praise on him as well. I believe my praise for Mayweather Jr. has far outweighed any negative feeling I have for him. That being said... I miss him.

I miss Mayweather Jr' fights. I miss watching him in action and being in awe of his skills. I miss the level of game he brought to the sport. I miss his popularity within the sport and how his name grabbed
headlines outside of the sport, such as his stint on Dancing with the Stars and Wrestlemania. I miss the lovers and the haters who would flood forums with every subject related to Mayweather Jr. I even miss his trusty advisor, Leonard Ellerbe.

It seems like eternity since Mayweather Jr. announced his retirement. It was a retirement none of us believed would last, and as time goes on, it's something we hope isn't going to remain true.

Love or hate Mayweather Jr., he brought a lot of attention on the sport. He was a good ambassador for Boxing. Mayweather Jr. known for giving back to the community, a man who made the sport look good inside as well as outside the ring. Who organized annual Turkey drives, so people in his community would not go hungry over Thanksgiving dinner. Who organized entertainment events so everyone could experience a good time on his dime. No one ever told Mayweather Jr. to do those things, but when you have as much heart in the ring as you do outside of it... it's not hard to understand why Mayweather Jr. does what he does.

I believe the sport is suffering without him. Boxing can not afford it's biggest talent to just up and leave in his prime. Mayweather Jr. was gaining some impressive momentum, and along with his rise to the top, the sport also prospered. Of course I am not saying Boxing is dead without Mayweather Jr... but it's certainly not the same. It's not been the same fight scene since Mayweather Jr's departure.

I am going through "Money" Mayweather withdraw! Unlike other Boxing scribes... I am not afraid, and certainly not ashamed to admit it. In fact, it's beyond me that I am not reading any other writers calling for Mayweather Jr. to come back or at least admitting they miss the talented fighter's absence from the game.

I hope Mayweather Jr. comes back, because it could be generations before we see his level of talent again. He "was" awesome...but I'd like to see him return, so I can say he 'is" awesome, once again. I'd like to see him return, because when people ask me what's missing from boxing these days? The answer is simple... Floyd Mayweather Jr. is missing. Source: Floyd Mayweather Jr. is missing - Boxing Forum

G

·
Floyd won't come back because he's not willing to fight anyone at his skill level. Dela Hoya had no shot agaist Floyd and neither would Pacquaio. Those are the only two guys I could see him coming back to fight. It's a shame because I think he'd beat Margarito, Mosley and Cotto. I'd love to see him come back and fight my man Paul Williams but that's not happening either.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Boxing don't need Floyd. Boxing needs more guys like DLH, Mosley, Barrera, Pac, Hop. Guys that are willing to stick around and fight. Guys that are willing to fight the best. Not guys that walk out when the competition starts to get tough.

G

·
That little bitch retired because the pressure was mounting for him to fight a top WW. Boxing is better off without primadona's like him ducking top challengers and using money as a smokescreen.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Thats a great article, boxing needs Floyd:thumbsup:
Boxing does NOT need that whining little prima donna. We have a great WW division with great fighters in it. Some great fights are in store.
I agree with Ben that M********r will never get in the ring with Tony ,Paul or Miguel because he knows he'd get his ass kicked.
Let him stay with Dancing with The Big Show thats about all he's good for

·
Registered
81 Posts
That little bitch retired because the pressure was mounting for him to fight a top WW. Boxing is better off without primadona's like him ducking top challengers and using money as a smokescreen.
OMG PRETTY BOY FLOYD DESTROYS ALL THE TOP WW OUT THERE A CANNOT BELIEVE SOMEONE WHO AS BEEN ARGUING ABOUT CALZAGHE NOT GETTING CREDIT CAN EVEN SAY THIS ABOUT SOMEONE WHO DESERVES THE RESPECT FOR BEING THE GREATEST FIGHTER OF THE PAST 4 OR 5 YEARS I AGREE BOXING IS SUFFERING WITHOUT PRETTY BOY JUST WORIED CAUSE AS SOON AS HE ANNOUNCES A FIGHT HE BECOMES P4P KING AGAIN TAKING IT FROM JOE

·
8,579 Posts
Neither Calzaghe nor prima donna will ever be #1 P4P again

G

·
OMG PRETTY BOY FLOYD DESTROYS ALL THE TOP WW OUT THERE A CANNOT BELIEVE SOMEONE WHO AS BEEN ARGUING ABOUT CALZAGHE NOT GETTING CREDIT CAN EVEN SAY THIS ABOUT SOMEONE WHO DESERVES THE RESPECT FOR BEING THE GREATEST FIGHTER OF THE PAST 4 OR 5 YEARS I AGREE BOXING IS SUFFERING WITHOUT PRETTY BOY JUST WORIED CAUSE AS SOON AS HE ANNOUNCES A FIGHT HE BECOMES P4P KING AGAIN TAKING IT FROM JOE
PBF destroys no top WW. :laugh: The odds are with him to beat any one of them head to head, but they'd be very difficult fights. If they weren't then can you explain why he retired twice from the division, the first time to come back and fight a blown up LWW who looked terrible in his previous fight at 147, and then talk about a remtach with him when he could fight the LEGIT opponents in his division. LMFAO!! Who did Calzaghe duck in his division? Very bad comparison you just made. :thumbsup:

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
PBF destroys no top WW. :laugh: The odds are with him to beat any one of them head to head, but they'd be very difficult fights. If they weren't then can you explain why he retired twice from the division, the first time to come back and fight a blown up LWW who looked terrible in his previous fight at 147, and then talk about a remtach with him when he could fight the LEGIT opponents in his division. LMFAO!! Who did Calzaghe duck in his division? Very bad comparison you just made. :thumbsup:
You hate on Mayweather too much. Mayweather had no weight division, Calzaghe did. If there's any weight division Mayweather can claim was his, it's Super Featherweight. And who exactly did he duck there?

·
8,579 Posts
You hate on Mayweather too much. Mayweather had no weight division, Calzaghe did. If there's any weight division Mayweather can claim was his, it's Super Featherweight. And who exactly did he duck there?
Prima Donna picked the weakest spots in every division He never faced one legit challenger. Let him ride off into the sunset with The Big Show maybe they could make a comedy duo ROFL

·
Registered
81 Posts
floyd does not need to prove anything to anyone 5 weight world champ says it all i never said calzaghe ducked anyone as i think joe has done everything to prove himself if you dont respect and admire joe now your just biased the same with floyd weather you like him or not he is one of the greatest of all time he made corrales look stupid he had a hard fight with castillo which i think he lost and had a rematch and proved himself he made good fighters like gatti baldomir look amatures he beat zab judah went up to de la hoyas weight and won he then fought one of the biggest modern day fights against hatton he is great for the sport as he atracts different walks of life into the sport he is a gentleman after the fights giving respect to the other fighter like the hatton fight even if he dont receive it back

G

·
Casamayor and Freitas. I'm sick of the Mayweather had no weight division crap, the truth is he's a duck. He claimed to be the best WW there was after beating Baldomir, Judah and Hatton. LOL

Now if he was so good why didn't he just fight on and clean up argualbly the strongest division in boxing? Then maybe he could live up to those SRL comparisons. He'll never live up to his self proclaimed SRR comparisons though, that's beyond reaching.

G

·
floyd does not need to prove anything to anyone 5 weight world champ says it all i never said calzaghe ducked anyone as i think joe has done everything to prove himself if you dont respect and admire joe now your just biased the same with floyd weather you like him or not he is one of the greatest of all time he made corrales look stupid he had a hard fight with castillo which i think he lost and had a rematch and proved himself he made good fighters like gatti baldomir look amatures he beat zab judah went up to de la hoyas weight and won he then fought one of the biggest modern day fights against hatton he is great for the sport as he atracts different walks of life into the sport he is a gentleman after the fights giving respect to the other fighter like the hatton fight even if he dont receive it back
Listen, I'm not blind. I know what a great fighter Mayweather was. I've never questioned how gifted he was, I just don't like the man personally. He has a good resume that could have been much much better, especially as he would have most likely beat everyone he ducked/avoided.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Casamayor and Freitas. I'm sick of the Mayweather had no weight division crap, the truth is he's a duck. He claimed to be the best WW there was after beating Baldomir, Judah and Hatton. LOL

Now if he was so good why didn't he just fight on and clean up argualbly the strongest division in boxing? Then maybe he could live up to those SRL comparisons. He'll never live up to his self proclaimed SRR comparisons though, that's beyond reaching.
First Bold:

But he beat Corrales, who KOed Popo and had a trilogy with Casamayor. Casamayor also lost to Castillo, and Popo. If these guys did a little less losing in their big fights (against guys Mayweather beat), the fights prolly would have been signed. Mayweather and Tszyu was going to be signed until he lost to Hatton, Floyd is just chasing the money.

Second Bold:

SRL came out of retirement to beat Hagler, Duran again, and ultimately win titles in the Middleweight, Super Middleweight, and Light Heavyweight divisions. Had Sugar not come out of retirement to do this he wouldn't be recognized as the same fighter he is today. Mayweather is in retirement now, he's already way ahead of Leonard in his current progression.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Listen, I'm not blind. I know what a great fighter Mayweather was. I've never questioned how gifted he was, I just don't like the man personally. He has a good resume that could have been much much better, especially as he would have most likely beat everyone he ducked/avoided.
how can mayweather be accused of ducking anyone omg you admit you dont like him personally so you are just making excusses floyd to me has done plenty to prove his worth until tony beat cotto what did he do to derserve a fight mosley passed on the fight as he was not ready and let oscar challenge him cotto proved to be overrated paul williams not a big enough name you can look at every fighter and find guys they did not fight calzaghe glen johnson, jones, hopkins in prime de la hoya tsyzu trinidad quartey

G

·
Second Bold:

SRL came out of retirement to beat Hagler, Duran again, and ultimately win titles in the Middleweight, Super Middleweight, and Light Heavyweight divisions. Had Sugar not come out of retirement to do this he wouldn't be recognized as the same fighter he is today. Mayweather is in retirement now, he's already way ahead of Leonard in his current progression.
Glad you edited the part were they weren't SFW's. ;)

Second part, if Floyd comes out and fights the top WW's then he'll get all the respect in the world from me. And I mean that. But he'll come out and fight a shot DLH or a shot Hatton.

How can people complain about Calzaghe not getting the credit he deserves and then trash Floyd's career? That's beyond me.
Floyd had alot more options than Calzaghe. You know this and I know this. I'm not exactly trashing his career either.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First Bold:

Casamayor and Freitas were Lightweights, not Super Featherweights.

Second Bold:

Dude, they were super featherweights too and they unified their 130 WBO and IBF titles against each other. SRL retired because of a detached retina and had just fought Hagler when he was Mayweather's age.

I will post this because it is another point of view on this matter from a respected boxing scribe.

From Dougie's Massive Monday Mail Bag -

(Doug Fischer): I give a lot of kudos to Mijares for facing Darchinyan, because he didn’t have to. Most observers didn’t think Darchinyan had a chance in hell of beating him, so many would have given him a pass if the Australia-based Armenian’s challenge was rejected by Mijares the way Roy Jones Jr. dismissed so many badasses in the 160-, 168- and 175-pound divisions during his athletic prime, and the way Floyd Mayweather pooh-poohed proposed matches Joel Casamayor at 130 (and 140 pounds), Stevie Johnston at 135, and with Antonio Margarito and Miguel Cotto at 147 pounds.

Too many folks said “Well, he would have beat him had they fought”. But the truth is we don’t know what will happen until those two fighters step into the ring. Even when we are dealing with extremely skilled and talented boxers, we don’t know how they will react to bone-breaking power punches, awkward/unorthodox styles or immense physical strength and pressure until we actually see them deal with it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts