Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Floyd offers margarito title shot !!!

4K views 76 replies 17 participants last post by  TysonJones 
#1 ·
Money Mayweather Offers Margarito Title Shot!

Las Vegas - WBC Welterweight champ Floyd Mayweather has announced he will not retire after impressively KOing Ricky Hatton in the 10th round last week in Las Vegas. Mayweather plans to make four title defenses in 2008, with two coming on national television. "We hope to expand the Money Mayweather brand name by capitalizing on existing market opportunities," said Mayweather advisor Leonard Ellerbe. "We have received lucrative offers from ABC, NBC and CBS who would like to invest in the Mayweather brand name in 2008. What that means is Floyd is excited by the idea to make some voluntary defenses of his WBC title on free network TV which would increase his popularity in the U.S."

Initial reports say Antonio Margarito has already accepted the offer before it arrived by fax to fight Mayweather for a flat fee of $1 million on CBS on March 24 at the Rose Bowl in Los Angeles. "I don't care what they pay me, I'd fight Fraud Gayweather for free," said Margarito to El Azatlan newspaper. "I consider one million dollars a bonus to beat Mayweather because I know I will beat him. Then after that, the sky's the limit. IN fact I would pay Mayweather $1 million to get that little chicken in the ring."

With Margarito accepting the $1 million purse, there were no back and forth negotiations ,meaning Mayweather will add perhaps anywhere from $10-25 million to his career earnings. "We are very fortunate Margarito has accepted all terms so quickly," said Ellerbe. "This confirms everything Money Mayweather is about - making the most amount of money as he possibly can. We don't consider Margarito a threat at all and Floyd wants to prove that to boxing fans all around the world. We always respected Margarito but market conditions at the time prevented us from fighting him. Now is the right time for us to fight Margarito. And boxing fans around the world will see it next March."

See less See more
#2 ·
Firstly, 4 times in 2008, what happened to taking 2 years off:laugh: Simply put, Margarito will give Floyd little, if any, problems at all. Margarito is too slow and too wild and will barely land a glove on Floyd all night, id be surprised if he won a round. Floyd UD; 120-108, 120-108, 120-108;)

#3 ·
id give tony the best chance of anyone at beating floyd, im not saying he's going to win but it would't surprise me at all.

it would have been good to see back in 05.

go margie !!!

#5 ·
I think Cotto and Williams both have a better chance. Floyd will circle Margy, step in range throw 2-3 punches then step out before Margarito has time to throw a punch. It will be a boxing lesson.

BTW, where did this news come from?
the articles posted on boxingscene.com, margies got quite fast hands and he hits hard, he can throw more punches than hatton can too.

margie like floyd can fight hard for 12 rounds, he's got great condition so i see a tough fight either way, no way floyd trades with him anyway.

#6 ·
WOW!!!! amazing news if this is true i gotta say that im suprised and really happy with Floyd right now, hes really doing boxing a favour by doing this and ofc hes makikng money but i think this is not aselfish move and this is what boxing needs :D Really made my day, PBF UD.

#7 ·
i think some punk has made this up and its been posted over at that sub-par forum, theres nothing on the internet about this at all and most are agreeing its a BS article.

nice while it lasted though.......:rolleyes:

#11 ·
Its easily seen that its fake, First off, margarito would call mayweather those names, 2nd, the fight would never take place on cbs, hbo ppv only for mayewather, 3rd, 1 million to 20 million difference in paycheck, no happening either. 4th of all, march? Mayweather still needs time to recover from the elbow injury which could take a few months, if he were to fight in march, he would have to start jaining camp january 4th, not going to happen

#14 ·
ch 7 news (sports) out of L.A Ca. is reporting a fight in late march between to former welterweight champions antonio margarito vs. zab judah in an eliminator bout for a future big payday.this was piched by top ranked to showtime. steve kim of maxboxing says judah's current opponent being discussed for the fighter known as the tijuana tornado.

if these sources are correct, margarito-judah would be a co-feature to a tentative bout between wba welterweight champ miguel cotto and joshua clottey ... if margarito and cotto both win they would collide in either june or july of 2008

#16 ·
You got to be kidding me about this fight. How does Margarito deserve a fight with Floyd??? :dunno: I got alot to say about this but I dont feel like getting into that 1 :laugh:

#27 ·
margarito is 20,000,0000 times the fighter baldomir ever was,,,,tonys got all the punches and has a great jab and upercut.

power in both hands and good speed. margie is actualy not to bad a boxer when he puts his punches together.

#40 ·
margies already blasted the frog out in 5 brutul rounds, zab couldn't do that on his best day.

anyway, margie will stop zab in 8 rounds after he catches up with him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.