Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By James Blears

World Boxing Council President Jose Sulaiman says that Floyd Mayweather Jr. will stay in place as the welterweight champion until he himself personally confirms his retirement to the sanctioning body.

The Floyd camp has already put out a press statement announcing his retirement in which he’s quoted, but Don Jose insisted: “Floyd Mayweather has not informed the WBC of his retirement from boxing. Therefore the WBC cannot consider him as retired. He will be kept as the welterweight champion of the world until such time when he comes and lets us know that he’s not continuing in boxing.”

Don Jose wants the personal confirmation from Floyd to properly clarify the situation, because: “I believe his retirement and I don’t. I believe it because he’s a multi millionaire, and he’s the best boxer in the world, he’s won all of his fights, he’s won five world championships of the WBC, which are the most respected in the world.
He’s also become a VIP in the world of entertainment. So considering all of these circumstances, he has a reason for retirement.

“But I have a little doubt, because Oscar De La Hoya and his people were negotiating for a fight this year. And perhaps Oscar was negotiating on the premises of wanting to make the same money as the first time, when he made two-thirds, and Floyd made one third. But by retiring, he (Floyd) would make Oscar come back to earth and negotiate much better circumstances with Floyd. That might be one possible ending.

Editor's Note: If the WBC stays true to their word, it would mean that Andre Berto and Miguel "Mikki" Rodriguez, the highest ranked WBC welterweight contenders who collide on Saturday for the vacant title, would instead box-off for the "interim" title. The winner would also become the mandatory challenger to welterweight title. It really makes no difference because the winner will become the full champion in a few months when Mayweather fails to make the mandatory defense of the title per the WBC rules and regulations. The WBC should strip Mayweather on pure merit. Since winning the title in 2006 from Carlos Baldomir, he's failed to make a single defense of that title against a welterweight ranked by the WBC.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Floyd is still going to end up fighting Oscar.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If he ain't retiring, than he needs to fight my boy Cotto

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
If he ain't retiring, than he needs to fight my boy Cotto
i'd love to see it too.

Shane you're right about Floyd though. Without a title defense since Baldy, he should have been stripped already.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Well I dont think hes going to fight Oscar again but I agree that he should be back in some time...

whoever gets the wbc belt, it wont mean much

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
He does generate more talk than anyone else by miles.
he generates it because half of the things talked about is him throwing money around, having beef with 50 and dad , going clubbing, wwe, dancing etc etc...

a quarter of it is about his boxing and ability

the other quarter is about him retiring and him ducking.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Even the Wbc think his retirement is a joke.
the wbc just want to keep him there because mayweather is like an adverstising board. notice how suliman mentioned how the wbc was the most prestigious and flyold took 5 at dif weights. he's using floyld to hype the wbc, and also he wants to get the fees from floyld!.

if mayweather comes abck within 2008 and says only joking, i will dislike him to a point that i would be hater. he has had enough time to come out and clear the issue up.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Well I dont think hes going to fight Oscar again but I agree that he should be back in some time...

whoever gets the wbc belt, it wont mean much
Ecxactly thats why Suliman hasn't allready line up a fight with his two top dogs in the division, he probably figures Mayweather is full of hot air and there's more money to be made when he comes back....

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
he generates it because half of the things talked about is him throwing money around, having beef with 50 and dad , going clubbing, wwe, dancing etc etc...

a quarter of it is about his boxing and ability

the other quarter is about him retiring and him ducking.
Talk is talk. Those same people buy his fights hoping he loses.
That's what I thought. I don't believe Floyd is retired until I hear these words coming out of his mouth.
Yep yep. Can't wait for his next fight.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
By James Blears

World Boxing Council President Jose Sulaiman says that Floyd Mayweather Jr. will stay in place as the welterweight champion until he himself personally confirms his retirement to the sanctioning body.

The Floyd camp has already put out a press statement announcing his retirement in which he’s quoted, but Don Jose insisted: “Floyd Mayweather has not informed the WBC of his retirement from boxing. Therefore the WBC cannot consider him as retired. He will be kept as the welterweight champion of the world until such time when he comes and lets us know that he’s not continuing in boxing.”

Don Jose wants the personal confirmation from Floyd to properly clarify the situation, because: “I believe his retirement and I don’t. I believe it because he’s a multi millionaire, and he’s the best boxer in the world, he’s won all of his fights, he’s won five world championships of the WBC, which are the most respected in the world.
He’s also become a VIP in the world of entertainment. So considering all of these circumstances, he has a reason for retirement.

“But I have a little doubt, because Oscar De La Hoya and his people were negotiating for a fight this year. And perhaps Oscar was negotiating on the premises of wanting to make the same money as the first time, when he made two-thirds, and Floyd made one third. But by retiring, he (Floyd) would make Oscar come back to earth and negotiate much better circumstances with Floyd. That might be one possible ending.

Editor's Note: If the WBC stays true to their word, it would mean that Andre Berto and Miguel "Mikki" Rodriguez, the highest ranked WBC welterweight contenders who collide on Saturday for the vacant title, would instead box-off for the "interim" title. The winner would also become the mandatory challenger to welterweight title. It really makes no difference because the winner will become the full champion in a few months when Mayweather fails to make the mandatory defense of the title per the WBC rules and regulations. The WBC should strip Mayweather on pure merit. Since winning the title in 2006 from Carlos Baldomir, he's failed to make a single defense of that title against a welterweight ranked by the WBC.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Floyd is still going to end up fighting Oscar.
To me this is disgusting typical WBC shennanikins. Mayweather hasnt defended the title since he won it from Baldy how many years ago was it? Now even when the con artist claims to be retired they wont get rid of him. Stuff like this is BAD for boxing

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
The one thing I regret I'm never gonna see is Floyd Sr training some one to deliver the ass whooping he would want to give his son personally :laugh:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts