Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WBC super welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather will embark on a whirlwind tour of Washington, D.C. this weekend. Mayweather arrives Friday morning with long time advisor Leonard Ellerbe and will immediately head to Capitol Hill where he will visit the offices of Senator Harry Reid [D-NV], Senator Debbie Stabenow [D-MI], Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton.[D-Washington, D.C.], and Congresswoman Shelley Berkely [D-NV]. Team Mayweather will then proceed to local government offices to meet with District council members. Later that evening, Floyd will attend ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" at the D.C. Armory, sitting ringside with D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty, NBA stars Steve Francis and Caron Butler and other local celebrities. Mayweather will spend the remainder of the weekend with inner-city youth and amateur boxing programs by day, then attend attend VIP receptions in his honor at area nightclubs.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. will be in the audience at the D.C. Armory in the nation's capital Friday when brothers Lamont and Anthony Peterson make their televised hometown debut on ESPN2's Friday Night Fights (9 p.m. ET).
The Petersons, since being rescued off the streets by mentor and trainer Barry Hunter, have become two of boxing's fastest-rising stars. Both are unbeaten and will be putting titles on the line.

Younger brother Anthony, the North American Boxing Organization lightweight champion (22-0, 16 KOs) will face Luis Ernesto Jose (27-4-2, 24 KOs) of the Dominican Republic in the 10-round main event, while Lamont, the WBC United States light welterweight champion 20-0, 8 KOs), will square off against Atlantic City's John Brown (23-13-2, 11 KOs).

Since turning pro in 2004, the Petersons have fought mostly out of Memphis, but have longed to show off their stuff at home.

"I can't wait to make my hometown debut in front of my family and friends who won't have to travel to see this one," says Lamont, 23. "The place is going to be packed with our fans whom have been waiting to see us fight at home."

FIND MORE STORIES IN: ESPN2 | Floyd Mayweather Jr | Pound | Fights
Anthony, 22, agrees: "Ever since my brother and I turned pro we have wanted to fight at home. With both of our careers on the brink of national success and world championships, the hometown crowd and fighting on national television brings us one step further to realizing our dreams."

Mayweather, fresh off capturing the WBC super welterweight title May 5 in Las Vegas against Oscar De La Hoya, will attend the fight with friend, adviser and D.C. native Leonard Ellerbe as guests of Mayor Adrian Fenty.

Mayweather also plans to visit with military men and women and their families as part of an ESPN tribute to the armed forces for the Memorial Day weekend matchup.

"D.C is a great city, and I am excited to be able to visit and support the Peterson brothers on their big night," said Mayweather. "It makes it even more special that I get to be here on such an important weekend to honor the troops and to celebrate with Leonard Ellerbe who is coming home to visit his family and friends."

This will be one hell of an ESPN fight lineup.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
petterson bro's are very good fighters, hopefully floyd joins atlas and tessitore and comments on the fighters. Maybe he'll even chat with pavlik in studio a little.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts