Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this will be the official thread for the football prediction league. I've started it now because there's now a few competitive matches going on, so why not do it now? Basically I'm looking for the league to last 10 weeks. Doing one league for the whole season would be too much, people leaving, people joining, it would all get too complicated. So it's ten weeks. I'll put up matches for you to predict from all around the world, so that that way every match is a big one. For example, one week there might be Arsenal vs. Man U and Milan vs. Inter, so it makes sense to have the big games. How many games there are to predict will depend on how many big games there are. I'll also let you nominate matches to predict on if I've missed them. Champions League will be included in this. The scoring system will be the one used for the Euro Prediction League, unless anyone has any better ideas :dunno:. Happy predicting guys! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
772 Posts
who's playing in the emirates cup, i can't say i've even heard of that one before.

but we have the charity shield coming up and champions league qualifiers.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
who's playing in the emirates cup, i can't say i've even heard of that one before.

but we have the charity shield coming up and champions league qualifiers.
Arsenal
Hamburg
Juventus
Real Madrid

It's on Saturday and Sunday at the Emirates.

G

·
What way does the scoring work? How many points was it for a W/L/D?

And how many points did we get for predicting goals/clean sheets?

I didn't know the rules for the Euro's, I was just predicting scores. LOL

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Week 1:
2/8/08:
Real Madrid vs. Hamburg - Emirates Cup Match
Venue: Emirates Stadium. KO 14:00 BST.

Arsenal vs. Juventus - Emirates Cup Match
Venue: Emirates Stadium. KO 16:15 BST.

3/8/08
Juventus vs. Hamburg - Emirates Cup Match
Venue: Emirates Stadium. KO 14:00 BST.

Arsenal vs. Real Madrid - Emirates Cup Match
Venue: Emirates Stadium. KO 16:15 BST.

If there are any games (competitive) you think should be up here let me know.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What way does the scoring work? How many points was it for a W/L/D?

And how many points did we get for predicting goals/clean sheets?

I didn't know the rules for the Euro's, I was just predicting scores. LOL
Rules:
Predict the scorelines. A bit like the boxing one. 10 points for guessing the correct team winning. Then there's the scorelines. 10 Points for guessing the correct scoreline, additional 10 points (for the right team). For every goal out you are you lose one of the additional 10 points.

Example:

I predict Arsenal to beat Man U 1-0. Arsenal win 4-1. I get 10 for correct outcome, then, out of the additional 10 for the scoreline, Arsenal score 3 more than I thought, so I lose 3 points. Man U score 1 more than I predicted so i lose another. So overall I lose 4 points off the correct scoreline, which makes 16 points overall. OK? Guess a certain team to win on pens (in knockout games), then it's 20 points full stop. Sound good? Feedback appreciated.

G

·
So if I pick United to beat Arsenal 1-0, and Arsenal beat United 1-0, I get the 10 points for picking the correct scoreline still?

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if I pick United to beat Arsenal 1-0, and Arsenal beat United 1-0, I get the 10 points for picking the correct scoreline still?
No. Man this is complicated :laugh: You would get 8 points. 0 for predicting the right team to win, as you got that wrong. Then out of the ten bonus points, you lose two, which makes eight.

You get those 8 bonus points by:
Predicting Man U 1-0 Arsenal. The score was Man U 0-1 Arsenal. So you were one goal out on Man U (you predicted they'd score 1 instead of 0). You were also 1 goal out on Arsenal (you predicted they'd score 0 instead of 1). So you lost 2 out of your 10 bonus points. So you get 8 bonus points overall. Make sense? I hope so.

G

·
No. Man this is complicated :laugh: You would get 8 points. 0 for predicting the right team to win, as you got that wrong. Then out of the ten bonus points, you lose two, which makes eight.

You get those 8 bonus points by:
Predicting Man U 1-0 Arsenal. The score was Man U 0-1 Arsenal. So you were one goal out on Man U (you predicted they'd score 1 instead of 0). You were also 1 goal out on Arsenal (you predicted they'd score 0 instead of 1). So you lost 2 out of your 10 bonus points. So you get 8 bonus points overall. Make sense? I hope so.
I glad it's you keeping the scores and not me. :laugh:

I get it now man. :thumbsup:

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As well I think each week will be like Tuesday-Monday, because often there's a normal Saturday fixture that is put back for television. So week 1 will end Monday if you get what I mean. Just wanted to clear that up now.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts