Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who should Cotto fight next in his debut with Roach?

• Paul Williams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shane Mosley vs. Ricardo Mayorga winner

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the aftermath of one of the best fights of the last past decade there is a lot of speculation as to where the newly defeated [but not finished] Miguel Cotto will look to man his corner. After a couple years of troubled relations between Miguel and his uncle/trainer Evangelista Cotto apparently a new man will be guiding the Puerto Rican star in his comeback to the top of the welterweight division. Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach has expressed interest in Cotto and will begin working with him for his next bout.

Roach believes he can and will further develop Cotto into a fighter that can not only beat Margarito in a rematch but also the retired Floyd Mayweather Jr. should he opt. to end his “retirement.” While Cotto has maintained his camp will stay in tact after Saturday nights knockout loss to Antonio Margarito insider's have revealed that a change is the making bringing Roach into his corner.

In a recent visit to the Wild Card Gym Roach was quoted saying, “I would love to work with Cotto. He's a great fighter. Even better than what happened to him at the end of Saturday's fight with Margarito. My agent has already called [Bob] Arum to let him know we're interested in training him. It looks like we'll start making preparations for his next fight as soon as he's ready.”

Roach went on to say, “I have fighters that have sparred with him all the up to middleweight. He’s a great young fighter with all the tools. He fast, quick, a technician of the ring and has great power.” Roach believes Cotto may have been winning, while fighting the wrong fight plan, going into the 11 round saying, “The kid fought his heart out. He stood in there like a champ and fought a great fight. He just didn’t make the necessary adjustments and came in with the wrong fight plan against Margarito.”

Roach also stated he would like to train Ricky Hatton for his upcoming bout with IBF light welterweight title holder Paul Malignaggi after the retirement of Hatton’s long time trainer Billy Graham. According to Roach, “Hatton should not have much trouble with Malignaggi if he doesn’t struggle with weight. He [Malignaggi] is a slick fighter but we can put together a fight plan with Ricky’s talent to put Malignaggi away early.”

Roach does not see training Hatton as a conflict of interest for Pound for Pound best Manny Pacquiao as they are not scheduled for a head to head bout. Nonetheless Roach made it clear the PacMan is his number one guy, "Manny is the best fighter in the world. We have a special relationship that goes beyond just boxing. I'll always be in his corner no matter what."

Courtesy of CHICAGO BROWN

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I think Cotto may leave his uncle but i think Hatton will work with Lee Beard who worked with him and Billy before the Lazcano fight.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Ricky should hook up with Enzo Calzaghe id say...Enzo will get him shape and both have personalitys that would gell.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I think Cotto may leave his uncle but i think Hatton will work with Lee Beard who worked with him and Billy before the Lazcano fight.
Hatton should work with some close by, Beard or Enzo would most likely accomodate him, the distance with Roach and the fact that he's stated Paquiao is his priority, would eventually lead to comflicts, on the other hand Cotto would do well to move to california for a while, where he could be pushed a little more, in PR he's just a little too relax and comfortable and pretty much trains at his own pace, he needs some one a bit more authoritive at the moment.....

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Hatton should work with some close by, Beard or Enzo would most likely accomodate him, the distance with Roach and the fact that he's stated Paquiao is his priority, would eventually lead to comflicts, on the other hand Cotto would do well to move to california for a while, where he could be pushed a little more, in PR he's just a little too relax and comfortable and pretty much trains at his own pace, he needs some one a bit more authoritive at the moment.....
Great post Hugo, I agree totally. No way can Roach have both of them and Pacquiao on top. Just won't happen.

G

·
I haven't heard this anywhere, is it from a reliable source? If it's true I think it would be great for Cotto. Roach would do a good job with him.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I was talking with a guy on another board this morning and i agreed 100% with his point.

He said with Hatton and Pacquiao looking to make a fight it would be a bad idea for Ricky to work with Roach. Roach will see all his weaknesses and strenghs and will educate Pacman on them.

Enzo would be a great choice.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I was talking with a guy on another board this morning and i agreed 100% with his point.

He said with Hatton and Pacquiao looking to make a fight it would be a bad idea for Ricky to work with Roach. Roach will see all his weaknesses and strenghs and will educate Pacman on them.

Yeah I said something similar on here this morning. Roach has his hands full anyway now.

G

·
Enzo would be a good choice for Hatton. I never took that news seriously, I could see Roach making time for Cotto but not Ricky.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I think Cotto should stay out of the ring for a good 7 or 8 months but out of the guys mentioned the Judah/Clottey winner makes the most sense. If Cotto shows he's ready for a rematch with Margarito then bring on the Tijuana tornado.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I'd like to see Cotto in with Berto. Then again, I'd like to see Margarito in with Berto. Basically what I'm saying is that I want to see Berto tested. But back to Cotto, Berto would be a good way to gauge how he recovered from the Margarito beating. Berto is nowhere near as physically imposing or aggressive as Margarito, but he has fast hands, pretty good power, and it would be a good match-up of two boxer-punchers.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts

ecxatly, a terrible comflict of interest, at this point in his career Ricky might as well stay in england, and get himself ready for Paquiao

I think Cotto should stay out of the ring for a good 7 or 8 months but out of the guys mentioned the Judah/Clottey winner makes the most sense. If Cotto shows he's ready for a rematch with Margarito then bring on the Tijuana tornado.
what makes sense ? are you saying he should fight one of those guys after 6 or 7 months of inactivity, your kidding right, he needs to come back slowly if you put in there with a hungry guy it might just be his doom, you have to take into account that the man might be shellchocked....

I'd like to see Cotto in with Berto. Then again, I'd like to see Margarito in with Berto. Basically what I'm saying is that I want to see Berto tested. But back to Cotto, Berto would be a good way to gauge how he recovered from the Margarito beating. Berto is nowhere near as physically imposing or aggressive as Margarito, but he has fast hands, pretty good power, and it would be a good match-up of two boxer-punchers.
your right while Berto does not poses the height or perhaps the power that Margarito does, he would bring a different set of difficulties to the table, he's some one I would have Cotto steer away from, unless it's for a title,not a come back fight, he just might catch Cotto with something and give him a flash back...

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Cotto needs someone to train him for real now, he needs instructions. No fighter is entirely auto-suficient. Roach would be a terrific choice for him

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
what makes sense ? are you saying he should fight one of those guys after 6 or 7 months of inactivity, your kidding right, he needs to come back slowly if you put in there with a hungry guy it might just be his doom, you have to take into account that the man might be shellchocked....
Hey I wouldn't put him in with any of these guys for a comeback fight but if he had to fight one of them the Clottey/Judah winner would be the best choice. He is more than shellshocked he must be devastated. His physical and mental wounds need a lot of time to heal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts