Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever there is an important fight on nowadays, Freddie Roach is always in the corner of one of the fighters. Roach did not do that well in boxing, so I am wondering, why is Freddie Roach such in important man to have in the corner?

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Whenever there is an important fight on nowadays, Freddie Roach is always in the corner of one of the fighters. Roach did not do that well in boxing, so I am wondering, why is Freddie Roach such in important man to have in the corner?
His actual boxing career really isn't that important when evaluating his training abilities. Most great boxers turn out to be average trainers at best. The guys who really study the sport turn out to be the best trainers for the most part. In my opinion Roach is so popular because he trains Pacquiao and is always in the spotlight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Roach is more like a dad to pac than trainer he justs keeps him focused manny goes on his natural ability to win fights roach just gives him a nudge every now and then, he said it himself on the HBO thing one time that manny can be stubborn at times and goes out to party and neglects training sometimes it true I not making this up :)

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roach is more like a dad to pac than trainer he justs keeps him focused manny goes on his natural ability to win fights roach just gives him a nudge every now and then, he said it himself on the HBO thing one time that manny can be stubborn at times and goes out to party and neglects training sometimes it true I not making this up :)
Thanks for the reply, Neji. I geuss you are right. btw, remember to reply to the Marciano's defense thread ;)

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Yeah I remember watching a few of Roaches fights, he used to block most of the punches with his face, by the end of the matches his face was allways red as a tomato, but he seems to have picked up quite a few skills as atrainer and when you have talented fighters in your stable, it can help but rubb in, and that's the way I see him as an average trainer who's gotten lucky with certain fighters allowing him to train them....

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
The best trainers were always decent fighters at best, it seems the fighters that never were that great loved the sport the most and learned alot abut it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts