Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Could it happen? I know ABC teams up with ESPN to do basketball telecasts, so why not do this? Friday nights are usually reserved for dying shows anyway.

I just think boxing really needs to have a network TV presence. It would be even better if champion fighters did tune-up fights there as 'appetizers' for the general public before their big PPV fights.

Discuss.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why not? Would champion fighters not be willing to be on 'free' TV? Would contracts with HBO and Showtime get in the way? Would networks not be willing to take the chance?

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
why not? Would champion fighters not be willing to be on 'free' TV? Would contracts with HBO and Showtime get in the way? Would networks not be willing to take the chance?
Networks know its risky to put on unknown boxers in there, and to put A-level athletes in there they would have to top HBO and Showtime budgets, wich makes it a very very expensive and tehrefore risky investment. So, as for championship fights its a little complicated to make it happen, PPV is a selective but lucrative market.

Events like friday night fights would be more likely I think. Whats holding on still is boxing's credibility, anyways, depending on how versus gets its return, you might see a bigger tv trying it, but I dont expect it to happen very soon.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
ABC would have a way bigger budget than ESPN2 ever could, so they could probably put on a good card. The thing is that most of the top boxers would not accept the offer ABC would be willing to allow, it probably cost them way less to put on a solid MMGay card. I can't see Mayweather or Pacquiao fighting on regular cable like Anderson Silva. Boxing promoters and boxers alike need to consider exchanging money for popularity, for at least a couple fights. Pacquiao-Diaz, Mayweather-Mitchell, Pavlik-Lockett, etc. are all fights that would have been better served on one of the major networks on basic cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.