Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Ron Jackson
fightnews.com

In a sensational night for South African boxing South Africa’s Ali Funeka stopped the highly rated Zahir Raheem of the US in the fourth round in an IBF lightweight title eliminator at the Jan Smuts Stadium on Saturday night.

After a quiet opening round the superbly condition Funeka (61,10kg) surprised the tricky Raheem (60.60kg) with his hand speed when he dropped him on the seat of his pants with a right to the jaw. Soon afterwards the American had to take a second count when another right to the jaw put him on the canvas again.

After the disaster in the second round it appeared if Raheem was boxing his way back into the fight but once again he had no answer to the South African's big right hand and took his third count in the fight.

It was a supremely confident Funeka who came out for the fourth round as he used his long reach to out jab the American before a left hook and a copybook right hand to the jaw dropped Raheem onto his face at the bell, where he was counted out by the referee.

This was a major upset and with his punching power Funeka would be in with a great chance of victory against the 36-year-old IBF lightweight champion Nate Campbell.

However, Campbell is scheduled to defend his world belts against the highly rated and unbeaten Joan Guzman on September 13.

Irrespective of what happens in the Guzman fight Funeka is the IBF mandatory challenger for the IBF lightweight belt and his promoter Branco Milenkovic of Branco Productions will insist that his fighter is given first crack at the belt whatever happens in the Guzman fight.

On the same card in an outstanding performance and against the odds South Africa’s Moruti Mthalane (50.45kg) completely outclassed Hussein Hussein (50.80kg) of Australia to win a unanimous points decision over 12 rounds to become the IBF mandatory flyweight challenger.

The scores were 119-109 and 118-110 twice all in favor of Mthalane.

The shorter South African came out fast at the first bell and took the fight to his more fancied opponent as he scored with shots to the head and body.

This was the pattern throughout the 12 rounds as the South African punched a shutout on my card.

Hussein seemed to be boxing in slow motion and lunged at the South African at times and in the later rounds he had slowed down to a walk and resorted to holding,, which indicated that he possibly had to pull weight.

The referee was Deon Duarte from South Africa who had an easy nights work in a clean but disappointing fight.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess Raheem won't be getting another big opportunity like the night he upset Erik Morales. I'm surprised. I actually thought Raheem might make some noise in the jam-packed lightweight division.

As for Hussein Hussein, I'll always have a special place in my heart for the guy due to his awesome war with Jorge Arce on the Morales/Barrera undercard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts