Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Rick Reeno
BoxingScene.com has been advised by more than one source that hot featherweight Yuriorkis Gamboa (11-0, 9 KOs), who won a gold medal in the 2004 Olympics, signed a promotional deal with Don King. Gamboa was being co-promoted in America by Arena Box, based in Germany, and Gary Shaw.

When contacted for comment, Gary Shaw told BoxingScene that he heard the same information. He was baffled as to why Arena Box and Gamboa would make such a move.

"I heard the same thing, that Ahmet Öner [Arena Box head] made a deal with Don King for Gamboa. I did everything right by the kid. I put him on HBO. I'm putting him on HBO again in October," Shaw said.

Both BoxingScene, and Shaw, also heard that King contacted HBO to inform them that he signed Gamboa. Don King was unavailable for comment.

According to Shaw, Gamboa will still appear on his HBO date of October 4, facing Marcos Ramirez (25-0, 16 KOs) as part of a televised triple-header.

The signing of Gamboa would be King's second high profile signing in less than a month. He picked up free agent, and former three-division champion, Marco Antonio Barrera a few weeks ago.

Source: Yuriorkis Gamboa Reportedly Signed By Promoter Don King - Boxing News

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Just look at what he's done (or hasn't) for Devon Alexander. Look at how happy Juan Diaz was with him when he basically blamed him for his loss to Nate Campbell. Look at Steve Cunningham who can't even get a fight stateside.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't see why Gamboa needs to change myself :confused::dunno:.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems like he's just following the recent trend. Everyone is fleeing Gary Shaw like a sinking ship.
Haha I see your point, however I still don't really see what he thinks Don King will do with him.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Don guarentee's fighters a ton of money and then never delivers. Some love him most hate him. This is a bad move. He would of been better off going with lou dibella, top rank or GBP. At least three are the least crooked.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Well I think this is a good move on both of their parts. As Lance said, King always delivers and he will also make him a household name. As we all know Gamboa will fight his ass off for a big paycheck or not so again, I think it was a great move.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Don't know what to make of this i'm a fan of gamboa. At least it should get his name out there hopefully don doesn't rape him to bad financially

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Just look at what he's done (or hasn't) for Devon Alexander. Look at how happy Juan Diaz was with him when he basically blamed him for his loss to Nate Campbell. Look at Steve Cunningham who can't even get a fight stateside.
Diaz needs to blame Diaz for that loss. King didn't have anything to do with Campbell kicking his ass

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Diaz needs to blame Diaz for that loss. King didn't have anything to do with Campbell kicking his ass
I totally agree, but it had to be mentioned since they wouldn't stop mentioning it before, during, and after the fight. They were embroiled in some pretty nasty back and forth jabs and litigation.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Don guarentee's fighters a ton of money and then never delivers. Some love him most hate him. This is a bad move. He would of been better off going with lou dibella, top rank or GBP. At least three are the least crooked.
Yeap ,that old sly fox DK probably waved his famous sign on the dotted line wad of cash bonus, in front of Gamboas face, that poor kid probably never seen that much money in his life,in Cuba they get their monthly coupons, he could'nt grab the pen fast enough:laugh:

Well I think this is a good move on both of their parts. As Lance said, King always delivers and he will also make him a household name. As we all know Gamboa will fight his ass off for a big paycheck or not so again, I think it was a great move.
Hey man did you read that correctly???

Don't know what to make of this i'm a fan of gamboa. At least it should get his name out there hopefully don doesn't rape him to bad financially
Well even if he gets three hots and a cod it will be more than what ever he would have gotten in Cuba, but your right he's defenetly in trouble specially if he's got some cuban ganster as a manger, him and DK will strip him to the bone...:laugh: the boy looks like he's got all the talent in the world but only two brain cells up stairs:laugh:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Here are some examples from Wikipedia:

Controversies

Don King has been a lightning rod for controversy throughout his career. Ironically, he has actually been struck by lightning three times in his life. He has been the subject of several lawsuits by boxers he managed who alleged that they were forced to hire King's relatives and cronies. He has faced charges of tax evasion by the IRS. Rumors of jury-tampering have swirled around him. And it also became known that the rights to pay-per-view fights he promoted were awarded to organized crime figures, some of whom may have known King from his book-making days.

King has been investigated for possible connections with organized crime. During a 1992 Senate investigation King pleaded the Fifth Amendment when questioned about his connection to mobster John Gotti. In public, however, he has responded to mob allegations by calling them racist.[citation needed]

Lawsuits and fraud prosecutions filed against King

King has been involved in a several litigation cases with boxers that were focused on fraud. They include a 1980 trial in which Muhammad Ali sued King for underpaying him $1.2 million for a fight with Larry Holmes. Ali settled for $50,000. Tim Witherspoon sued King and won $900,000. Mike Tyson sued King for $100 million. It was settled out of court for around 10-14 million.

In May 2005, King was sued by Lennox Lewis, who wants $385 million from the promoter, claiming King used threats to pull Tyson away from a rematch with Lewis. Terry Norris settled a lawsuit out of court against Don King for breach of contract for 7.5 million dollars. In early 2006, Chris Byrd sued Don King for breach of contract and the two eventually settled out of court under the condition that Byrd would be released from his contract with King.

Lloyd's of London

Insurance company Lloyd's of London sued King for $350,000, claiming insurance fraud in a Julio Cesar Chavez fight that was canceled. King was charged with insurance fraud by the U.S. Justice Department. The judge declared a mistrial after a hung jury in 1995, and he was acquitted on a retrial in 1998.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Here are some examples from Wikipedia:

Controversies

Don King has been a lightning rod for controversy throughout his career. Ironically, he has actually been struck by lightning three times in his life. He has been the subject of several lawsuits by boxers he managed who alleged that they were forced to hire King's relatives and cronies. He has faced charges of tax evasion by the IRS. Rumors of jury-tampering have swirled around him. And it also became known that the rights to pay-per-view fights he promoted were awarded to organized crime figures, some of whom may have known King from his book-making days.

King has been investigated for possible connections with organized crime. During a 1992 Senate investigation King pleaded the Fifth Amendment when questioned about his connection to mobster John Gotti. In public, however, he has responded to mob allegations by calling them racist.[citation needed]

Lawsuits and fraud prosecutions filed against King

King has been involved in a several litigation cases with boxers that were focused on fraud. They include a 1980 trial in which Muhammad Ali sued King for underpaying him $1.2 million for a fight with Larry Holmes. Ali settled for $50,000. Tim Witherspoon sued King and won $900,000. Mike Tyson sued King for $100 million. It was settled out of court for around 10-14 million.

In May 2005, King was sued by Lennox Lewis, who wants $385 million from the promoter, claiming King used threats to pull Tyson away from a rematch with Lewis. Terry Norris settled a lawsuit out of court against Don King for breach of contract for 7.5 million dollars. In early 2006, Chris Byrd sued Don King for breach of contract and the two eventually settled out of court under the condition that Byrd would be released from his contract with King.

Lloyd's of London

Insurance company Lloyd's of London sued King for $350,000, claiming insurance fraud in a Julio Cesar Chavez fight that was canceled. King was charged with insurance fraud by the U.S. Justice Department. The judge declared a mistrial after a hung jury in 1995, and he was acquitted on a retrial in 1998.
I stand corrected... Still promotes one hell of a fight ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts