Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gamboa to return in June!

Tuesday, May 20 2008

After his impressive win over Darling Jimenez on Saturday night in Primm, Nevada, unbeaten WBA #3 Yuriorkis Gamboa (10-0, 8 KOs) is eyeing a June 27th showdown with the #2 rated Jose Cheo Rojas that would take place in Miami and be televised on ESPN2. Should Gamboa get past Rojas, a mouth watering collision with WBA champion Edwin Valero could come in short order. In other Gamboa-related news, his manager Ahmet Öner has terminated Gamboa's trainer Osmiri Gamboa Fernandez, whom he said was too much of a "buddy type." Now training the Cuban Olympic gold medalist will be the highly respected Orlando Cuellar, best known for doing such great work with former world champion Glen Johnson.

Link

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Boy those Cubans are ruthless. Getting rid of the trainer because he was Gamboa's buddy? Who knows, may be a good move on his part. Maybe the new trainer will clean up his game a little.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I love watching this kid fight,the only thing i would like to see him do better is
keep those hands up more.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
true it's a good thing he was'nt in there with a puncher.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Valero might lack defense but if he catches Gamboa it would be over. He better learn VERY quick that he has to keep his hands up.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Its waaay too early for Gamboa to fight Valero. Especially with his defensive flaws. Valero throws short accurate punches and his only target is your chin. Dangerous fight for Gamboa.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its waaay too early for Gamboa to fight Valero. Especially with his defensive flaws. Valero throws short accurate punches and his only target is your chin. Dangerous fight for Gamboa.
I totally agree. Plus to bring up the fact that he has a new trainer again... I don't know who it will be but you know he is gonna be in the middle of molding him to his own. Just not sure if the moons will all line up for him with all this stuff going on.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I totally agree. Plus to bring up the fact that he has a new trainer again... I don't know who it will be but you know he is gonna be in the middle of molding him to his own. Just not sure if the moons will all line up for him with all this stuff going on.
They say Gamboa fights like Roy Jones but he's gonna end up like him in the 2nd Tarver fight if they bring him along too quickly

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Gamboa is getting pushed along to quickly. If he goes and gets stopped the mystique of Yuriorkis Gamboa goes right out the door. Hell, it's already creeping out the door after him getting dropped for the second time against Jimenez. We've seen this from these Cuban amateurs over and over again. They turn pro and still fight like an amateur. After 425 amateur fights if you aren't even attempting to put your hands up you will never learn. Also, if you get dropped because your hands are down and you continue to keep you hands down that just shows pure ignorance. Gamboa will get stopped in a year or so.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Gamboa is getting pushed along to quickly. If he goes and gets stopped the mystique of Yuriorkis Gamboa goes right out the door. Hell, it's already creeping out the door after him getting dropped for the second time against Jimenez. We've seen this from these Cuban amateurs over and over again. They turn pro and still fight like an amateur. After 425 amateur fights if you aren't even attempting to put your hands up you will never learn. Also, if you get dropped because your hands are down and you continue to keep you hands down that just shows pure ignorance. Gamboa will get stopped in a year or so.
I hope not. But i agree. Somebody needs to teach him to guard his chin

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I think even if he gets stopped he will continue to be so damn cocky. I love cocky boxers but only those who can back it up. Gamboa can not.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
If they put him in the ring with the likes of Pacquiao, marquez, probably...

I think his talent will overcome adversity but thats just what I think.

·
Baddest Man On The Planet
332 Posts
Boy those Cubans are ruthless. Getting rid of the trainer because he was Gamboa's buddy? Who knows, may be a good move on his part. Maybe the new trainer will clean up his game a little.
in boxing, you can't have no buddy-relationships with any of your trainers, that leads to the boxer loosing focus and dedication for upcoming future bouts.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts