Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Fightnews.

When unbeaten super featherweight phenomenon Yuriorkis Gamboa (9-0, 8 KOs) steps into the ring against Darling Jimenez (23-2-2, 14 KOs) this Saturday in Primm, Nevada, it will not only be the HBO debut of the Cuban Olympic gold medallist, but also his chance to win the WBC international championship, the title laid down by Manny Pacquiao before "Pacman" seized the WBC world title from Juan Manuel Marquez on March 15th. "Of course, it is a great honor to fight for this belt," states Gamboa. "Especially as this in only my tenth professional fight. I am glad that my performances so far have convinced the sanctioning bodies to put me very high in the ratings and I am willing to prove that I am the best boxer in the world." Gamboa is rated #3 in the WBA and #4 in the WBC rankings. "I know that Jimenez is a tough opponent," continued Gamboa, "but I also know that to be the best you have to beat the best. And that is what I will do. After winning the WBC international title I will try to get my hands on the belt Pacquiao's wearing right now. Though I hope that he doesn't put it down so I will have the chance to take it from him in the ring."

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
That's the spirit :thumbsup:! If they fought now Pac would demolish this kid but at least he's not afraid of calling out big names.
I'm gonna have to disagree. I think it would be a great fight and as great as I think Pacman is, Gamboa has a great chance to upset if he lands a couple of those huge shots he's known for.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Dont get me wrong I think Pacman would stop him I just think Gamboa is one of the very few guys who could stop him even with his inexperience. I think we are looking at the next Pacquiao.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Dont get me wrong I think Pacman would stop him I just think Gamboa is one of the very few guys who could stop him even with his inexperience. I think we are looking at the next Pacquiao.
Gamboa's style is nothing like Pacquiao. If it was I wouldn't like him as much as I do. Gamboa is a slickster.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I think Pacquiao would pretty much dominate if this ever happened soon. Too much high level expercience as a profesional. Maybe in a year or two gamboa beats him.

G

·
Too early for Gamboa to take this fight but he'll not have to wait too much longer if he keeps progressing at the rate he has been.

·
Registered
772 Posts
this is a great opportunity for Gamboa, with only nine fights in the proffessional ring he has come so far already, but again he has yet to be tested, but as he progresses his opponents wil start to get better and better and we will know more of what he can do, but from what i've seen so far he has got very fast hands with alot of power for a fighter in the SFW division. just like khan his defense has yet to be tested yet.

its good to see a cuban move out of the amateur ring as well, alot of cuban fighters have massive futures ahead of them but tend to stay at amateur and clean up at the olympics.

Gamboa is 26 i believe and had a successful amateur career before stepping up to professional, so he is quite experienced considering he has only fought in 9 fights at professional.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I'm gonna have to disagree. I think it would be a great fight and as great as I think Pacman is, Gamboa has a great chance to upset if he lands a couple of those huge shots he's known for.
Pac has too much for Gamboa at this point. It would be entertaining while it lasts but Pac wouldn't let him drop his hands without checking that chin.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
The only thing that worries me is Gamboa letting the money and fame come to his head the wrong way.. Last pic I saw from him he was wearing a gold watch and signing a contract with a cigar company. I hope he doesnt become another Jorge Luis Gonzalez

Anyways, his skills and speed are superb so he should keep winning

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
The only thing that worries me is Gamboa letting the money and fame come to his head the wrong way.. Last pic I saw from him he was wearing a gold watch and signing a contract with a cigar company. I hope he doesnt become another Jorge Luis Gonzalez

Anyways, his skills and speed are superb so he should keep winning
yeah, he should keep winning as long as he stays disciplined

1 - 20 of 33 Posts