Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here are arguably the top two hardest punchers of all time, but they both lack a very good chin. So obviously this would be a very exciting fight. Cooney had IMO the hardest left hook of all time, and Shavers had IMO the hardest right of all time. Cooney stood at a towering 6'6, and Shavers stood at an average heavyweight height of 6'1.

Who wins this exciting, but more than likely short lived slugfest?

·
Banned
100 Posts
Ok, here are arguably the top two hardest punchers of all time, but they both lack a very good chin. So obviously this would be a very exciting fight. Cooney had IMO the hardest left hook of all time, and Shavers had IMO the hardest right of all time. Cooney stood at a towering 6'6, and Shavers stood at an average heavyweight height of 6'1.

Who wins this exciting, but more than likely short lived slugfest?
It depends on if you mean pre or post-Holmes Cooney. After Holmes, Cooney was left to rot in a mire of poor self-esteem. He never got his confidence back. However, even so, he gave the comebacking Foreman a pretty hard go before crumbling. I think the circumstances - having the entire nation rooting for him, and then betraying him and labeling him a bum - really sent him crashing harder than just losing ever would have.

In fact, come to think of it, an early shoot-out with Earnie Shavers either would have given Cooney the kind of stern test he would need later in his career, or crushed him early and have saved himself and the rest of us a lot of trouble.

Given the Holmes and Foreman fights, I think the pre-Holmes incarnation had enough stamina, skill, and heart to out-gut Shavers. I don't even really see it being a shoot-out. Cooney could box if he needed to; just ask Larry Holmes! He would use his size and reach to wear Shavers down, and then come in (relatively) fresher and finish his man off in a short, closer of a shoot-out.

Cooney TKO8 Shavers

Unless, of course, Shavers lands the puncher's shot. Given his formidable power, it would be easier for him than most. Still, Cooney beats Shavers 8 times out of 10.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm talking the Cooney of the Holmes fight, and the Shavers of the Norton fight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cooney/Shavers, wow. Both could hit!
In all boxing comparisons timing is everything, unless they are the same exact age and coming off of similar fight histories it can be hard if not impossible.

A millwright I worked with was in Golden Gloves with Earnie Shavers, he said he was an unreal puncher then! I've always believed he needed a better corner (and maybe attitude to win).
TRUE STORY - He was there when Shavers hit a guy, one punch, and knocked his mouthpiece 4 rows into the crowd.

Didn't Cooney bleed? Of course bleeders can still last a few rounds with a great cut-man.

I guess it's who lands the best first bomb.....and finishes!

Earnie Shavers would have been "The Champ" over Ali, he had him out but didn't finish quick, Ali came back and won.

"The Acorn" as Ali taunted him almost chopped the tree down.

OK, Cooney/Shavers, Cooney has heart. Shavers could punch anyone out -but- if he slips up he could go.

I'd take Shavers, by one more punch.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cooney/Shavers, wow. Both could hit!
In all boxing comparisons timing is everything, unless they are the same exact age and coming off of similar fight histories it can be hard if not impossible.

A millwright I worked with was in Golden Gloves with Earnie Shavers, he said he was an unreal puncher then! I've always believed he needed a better corner (and maybe attitude to win).
TRUE STORY - He was there when Shavers hit a guy, one punch, and knocked his mouthpiece 4 rows into the crowd.

Didn't Cooney bleed? Of course bleeders can still last a few rounds with a great cut-man.

I guess it's who lands the best first bomb.....and finishes!

Earnie Shavers would have been "The Champ" over Ali, he had him out but didn't finish quick, Ali came back and won.

"The Acorn" as Ali taunted him almost chopped the tree down.

OK, Cooney/Shavers, Cooney has heart. Shavers could punch anyone out -but- if he slips up he could go.

I'd take Shavers, by one more punch.
Cooney wasn't really a major bleeder until Holmes busted his nose and face up. After that his skin had a lot of scar tissue so he got cut a little more.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Yes, but that was no accident. Shavers had Ali hurt, but he played it up as much worse, so much so that Shavers thought he was playing possum and let him off the hook. Ali suckered him.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, but that was no accident. Shavers had Ali hurt, but he played it up as much worse, so much so that Shavers thought he was playing possum and let him off the hook. Ali suckered him.
There's a reason Ali was "The Greatest", he could do it all including stay in with Frazier, Foreman, et. al.

Shavers did have Ali glazed over but I was watching and wondering why no killer instinct right there!

Where was his corner? I think he could have finished Ali.....but didn't.

·
Banned
100 Posts
It was good acting on the part of Ali, couple with the legend. Ali was hurt, but he played it up. Shavers couldn't believe he had hurt Ali that badly and let him off the hook. If his corner had told him to go jump on Ali, by then it was too late.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts