Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
In the UK how do you compete in matches if you're local clubs do not organise fights?

Thanks,
Scott.
why wouldent the club organize fights? the trainers have to get the fights so unless you dont have a trainer i dont understand why ur club doesnt organize fights

·
Registered
20 Posts
Go to fights in your area and find out who is promoting them, what gyms do the fighters come from? In the US and in my native Germany, boxing promoters are licensed so you can look up who is putting on events and find out what's coming up. the problem is these will likely be prefessional fights. to get amateur fights you need to seek out a team that goes to tournaments. Having an experienced trainer take you to amateur fights is key, as experience varies and you can easily get a fighter with an empty book and 100 fights in another area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go to fights in your area and find out who is promoting them, what gyms do the fighters come from? In the US and in my native Germany, boxing promoters are licensed so you can look up who is putting on events and find out what's coming up. the problem is these will likely be prefessional fights. to get amateur fights you need to seek out a team that goes to tournaments. Having an experienced trainer take you to amateur fights is key, as experience varies and you can easily get a fighter with an empty book and 100 fights in another area.
Would I still be allowed to fight in a professional fight even though I am an amateur?

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
^^^ Yep and I wouldnt advise you go pro unless you've spent at least a couple years trianing practicing and refining your technique and lots of sparring. As an amatuer sparring can be a pretty good replacement for fights, because everything is the same except the crowds and the level of nervesnous you will inevitably feel.

Yes look for an amatuer trainer or another boxing club that schedules fights and ask their trainer to put you on their next card that you will be available for any tournament or amatuer fight card that they go to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts