Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been to a gym before and trained a little bit a few months ago, but I want to get back into boxing in a couple months maybe in the summer.

I have been working out about 5x a week with my friend in his basement--free weights, bench, leg press machine, curl bar, sit up bench etc. Ive also been running alot, I picked up track this year to get back in shape. I feel like I'm in pretty good shape right now, but not boxing shape. Do you guys have any tips or suggestions on training, diet, or other preparation that would better prepare me to box?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm new to boxing myself, actually, I'm still in the process of joining a gym. I would say that if you're already in pretty good shape, the instructors would probably be the ones to get you into 'boxing shape'. I'm assuming you're not going to join a club and get right into amateur bouts, so they'll make sure you're ready before you do. If you're going to pay to join a club, you may as well get your money's worth by getting them to help with the training, haha.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I quote my friend that boxes with me "theres a big difference from being in shape then being in boxing shape". It's true. He joined the academy to become a police officer and they jog and do things in gym but its completely different from being in shape in boxing. I can't really suggest much but to practice a little shadow boxing while training. While running sprint more and work on your calf muscles by walking on your toes once in a while. It works and it'll build up those muscles more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You sound like you've been doing a lot of training specific to this, so you'll be able to focus better on technique. I found sparring was hard when I got tired, it's easier to focus and learn while fresh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts