Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i had a few concerns. i want to start boxing. I just wanted to know where i should search to start boxing. i have had a love for the sport ever since i was younger and this summer i'll be in albany, ga and i wanted to start training. not to go into the amateur circuit but as a physical fitness (i've been into weight training for about 6 yrs) and a form of self defense. i was in kung fu for about 2 years but found it to be way too impractical. is there any tips on where i should go or approach the local boxing gyms in the area? i know there's a place called phantom boxing gym but i don't want be someone's punching bag for 2 months before i actually get any work in. when i used to take kung fu we would have class for about 30 min then we would break into pairs and work with each other. is this how some gyms work? will boxing gyms offer any form of guidance into the sport of boxing? I checked the neighborhood YMCA and doesn't look like they offer any classes. any help as of now would be great. thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Oh crap, missed the thread, sorry.

It depends on the gym. What I would do is go to the nearest boxing gym, and tell the trainers that you only want to stay in shape, and have no particular goal involving competition. My gym isn't really a class, it's a type of thing where you get into your own schedule after you get started, and the trainers work with you when they watch you screw up a lot, or are teaching you something new/perfecting it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
how long do you think someone work on stamina and technique before sparring?
i've been training/going to classes for about a month and a half and am getting conflicting answers from different instructors.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
It all depends on how far along you are. Once you get basic technique, footwork, and defence down, you should spar someone better than you, but who will take it easy and work with you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts