Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Middleweight Joey Gilbert, who was a participant on the first season of "The Contender" reality series in 2004, was suspended Tuesday by the Nevada State Athletic Commission after testing positive for six banned substances, executive director Keith Kizer said.

Fighting in his hometown of Reno, Gilbert (16-1, 12 KOs) scored two knockdowns and stopped Charles Howe in the first round on Sept. 21 in the main event of a card his own company promoted.

According to the commission complaint against Gilbert, who provided pre-fight and post-fight urine samples, he tested positive for stanozolol metabolite (an anabolic steroid), methamphetamine (better known as the recreational drug c.meth), amphetamine, nordiazepam, oxazepam and temazepam.

"I don't think we've ever had anyone test positive for that many things," Kizer told ESPN.com. "Six things? I don't remember anyone who had more than, say, three in their system in my 10 years [of being involved with the commission]. This is one of the least fun parts of the job."

Kizer said Gilbert, who is a practicing attorney in addition to being a boxer, was placed on temporary suspension pending a review at the regular commission meeting later this month. After that, Gilbert will have a hearing in front of the commission. Gilbert faces additional suspension time or the revocation of his boxing license and a fine of up to his entire $25,000 purse, Kizer said. The result of the fight could also be changed to a no-decision.

Kizer said Gilbert had been notified of the positive test.

"We're looking forward to hearing from him," Kizer said. "We will give him a full and fair hearing, but this is not good."

Gilbert, 31, could not be reached for comment.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts