Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

when Iam watching boxing I have always wondered thy the gloves are 12 oz big. I mean this is huge(it still hurts though). In mma there are only 4 oz big. In k1 they are also 12 oz. I dont want to say mma is better or boxing, but one main reason why I watch mma is the glove size. Iam doing karate with 4 oz gloves, so this will be a factor too. But I think its just so much more fun to watch a fight with small gloves then with big gloves. Watching a fight with 2 big chunks just doenst do it for me. Why are the gloves 12 oz big, was it always taht way? Do you think it would be better with 4 oz gloves, and how much would this change affect the game?

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Hi,

when Iam watching boxing I have always wondered thy the gloves are 12 oz big. I mean this is huge(it still hurts though). In mma there are only 4 oz big. In k1 they are also 12 oz. I dont want to say mma is better or boxing, but one main reason why I watch mma is the glove size. Iam doing karate with 4 oz gloves, so this will be a factor too. But I think its just so much more fun to watch a fight with small gloves then with big gloves. Watching a fight with 2 big chunks just doenst do it for me. Why are the gloves 12 oz big, was it always taht way? Do you think it would be better with 4 oz gloves, and how much would this change affect the game?
1) Depending on weight division, pro boxers use either 10 oz or 8 oz gloves.

2) The size of the glove affects fighting styles, length of fights, and pace of fights. More cushioning make for a better fight because fighters have much less of a problem letting their hands go. In a MMA fight you've never seen 1675 punches thrown by one fighter in your life, and you never will, in boxing it has been done. You get to see fighters take heavy punches and keep coming. In MMA, a really good punch lands and that's pretty much it. Fight is over.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
less padding is also more babaric in my opinion. Boxing is considered an artform in many regards, all that goes out the window with less padding. Several attempts have been made to ban boxing, so the more safety precautions the better.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
less padding is also more babaric in my opinion. Boxing is considered an artform in many regards, all that goes out the window with less padding. Several attempts have been made to ban boxing, so the more safety precautions the better.
I agree 100%. I doubt you'll find any real boxing fans that would even want 4 oz gloves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

In my opinion oz gloves are better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts