Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My coach wants me to buy 14 oz. gloves for sparring.. What do I get? Do I get Sparring gloves or Training Gloves? Thanks.

·
Registered
841 Posts
My coach wants me to buy 14 oz. gloves for sparring.. What do I get? Do I get Sparring gloves or Training Gloves? Thanks.

Same thing

If your looking for punchers gloves and have tough sparring partners go with some grants or cletos if you want to spend that much. Everlast, title, and ringside have good training gloves as well but tend to have more padding if you want softer gloves. I guess it all depends on how much you wanna spend and who your gonna be hittin bud.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Aaaahhh, G&S, nice choice.
They are very popular in upstate New York and on the east coast.
One of my best buds swears by them.
Nice to see that they've upgraded to their shock absorbing foam- your sparring partners will be glad too. hehe
Which pair did you get?

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I'm sorry but those gloves don't look like 50 bucks however I'm just going by looks. They look exactly like cheap title knock offs. I would recommend Everlast pro sparring gloves. Feels more like pro gloves.

·
Registered
15 Posts
well I have those gloves in my hands and i can tell you they are no cheap title knockoffs they are a good quality glove and the company has been around forever. But so has everlast so that is a good choice as well.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I'm sorry but those gloves don't look like 50 bucks however I'm just going by looks. They look exactly like cheap title knock offs. I would recommend Everlast pro sparring gloves. Feels more like pro gloves.
No, G&S are legit, old-fashioned, hand-stitched gloves with a modern fill.
They were just small enough a company to get ignored by the mass commercialization of boxing, but large enough to survive (mainly by word of mouth) to these days.

My old coach swore by 'em and everyone in his boxing gym in upstate new york had 'em.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just checked out both sites and i am going to be using Everlast i think, TJ seems to rate them highly and the stuff that i am thinking of getting (Gloves and Punch Mits) are a little cheaper on there.....

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Posted a long reply to this ranting about Everlast "High Performance" versus Everlast "Professional"; not exactly what happened to it.

In a nutshell: "high performance" gear's pretty much garbage, while "professional" gear's good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
G&S is awesome gear, not too much variety though. I use their focus mitts, and their 16oz pro trainer. Some of their gear (double end bag) reminds me of Lonsdale Gear from the UK.
I have mixed feelings about Everlast. A lot of pros and pro trainers use them because of sponsorship. I have seen a boxer at a big name gym change gloves during a workout when photographers where there.
As for Everlast gear, I like their fight gloves and their pro trainers feel good on the hand, but I am not too happy with the workmanship and quality of the leather. I am talking about their pro gear not the lower end stuff. I got a pair of the Everlast Professional Mantis Punch Mitts, and was not impressed with the quality for the price. I like the innovation of everlast though, I wish they would put out a retro line of handmade gear like Ultimate classic by ringside but without the tacky lables. BTW Everlast's Super Leather Training Heavy Bags are my favorite, I like it as much as the Reyes Bags I have used, and that's saying something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts