Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...for the first time and I have to say wtf??? There's no question that his guy is definitely lacking in boxing ability. I don't even understand how he managed to attain the Super Middleweight title, let alone hold it for 10 years. I guess it's true what they say about him, having not fought anybody. Jeff Lacy was over-rated to all hell, and I guess Kessler isn't much different considering he couldn't beat Calzaghe.

I'm really surprised people even think that Calzaghe could come close to Jones in his prime. That is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Anyway, if Calzaghe and Jones were to fight now, who do you think would win?

I can say, without a doubt in my mind, that Jones would still win now against Calzaghe. Probably by knockout.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
...for the first time and I have to say wtf??? There's no question that his guy is definitely lacking in boxing ability. I don't even understand how he managed to attain the Super Middleweight title, let alone hold it for 10 years. I guess it's true what they say about him, having not fought anybody. Jeff Lacy was over-rated to all hell, and I guess Kessler isn't much different considering he couldn't beat Calzaghe.

I'm really surprised people even think that Calzaghe could come close to Jones in his prime. That is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

I can say, without a doubt in my mind, that Jones would still win now against Calzaghe. Probably by knockout.

ha, Cynosure, i admire your loyalty to rjj but he's not on joe's level.

Calzaghe not skilled? :confused:

Watch more of his fights. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
And lets say that Calzaghe would outpoint Jones jr. like 75% of people who know boxing and are experts at that particular sport. What would you say? yeah i guess Jones was coming in weight drained, broke his right hand, had a flue, was still tired after the tito match, Arum payed him to lose, Roy really did win that fight the judges were just stupid and british altough 2 of them were from Thailand.

There is a reason why Joe is a top p4p fighter and Roys not (today). Joe never lost (and he has faced better competition then Tarver and Johnson), he has been active, and hes not fightin ww hasbeens, hes fighting champions at his weightclass.

In their prime Jones would had tkoed Joe imo. But its time to get out of the past, if Jones vs Calzaghe happens and Roy wins i will apolagize for my post and truly put Roy jones in my top 10 p4p fighters of all time.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

Hey man i take it you seen lacy and kessler. How the hell can you say calzaghe is lacking ability :confused:

Lacy was abit hyped but was storming through everyone at supermiddle, Joe ruined him.

And kessler unbeaten in 39, could bang, good all round fighter.

I have seen so many great performances of calzaghe. Like gun said watch more of him. Hes awesome

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
You cant really compare Roys career to Joe's, comon.
Joe is obviously a very skilled boxer. But he hasnt had nearly the career of Roy Jones Jr.
It would be an interesting fight at thi spoint in their careers, but in RJJ's prime, he would rock Joe.
Joe's punching power is nowhere near RJJ's and his handspeed isnt either.
Although he is a better technical boxer I must say

·
Registered
424 Posts
the thing i find with Calz, is that his fights arn't pretty. Which a lot of people see and then think that he is sloppy and bad. Calz fights look sloppy because he has a very awkward style (not to mention he's a southpaw) compared to a boxer like Mayweather whose fights are very pretty and neat (or least his side of it is) Calz is a boxer, but not a boxer like Mayweather. Calz foot work is a little dirty, he throws punches at weird ugly angles. BUT Calz is a GREAT fighter, i dont think there is a guy in SMW or Light Heavy that can take him, or least i dotn think there is a guy that would embarress him, he'd give anybody a very close fight.

-metly

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure about that third post with Jones being tired after the Trinidad fight and being paid to lose...I mean, come on? I'm just saying that, right now, if Calzaghe and Jones were to fight Jones would win a close fight either by KO or close UD.

Anyone is a better "technical" fighter than Jones. But, that's because Jones doesn't fight conventionally (mostly because he doesn't have to). I'm sure that if he was less athletic he would have conformed to conventional boxing technique.

Jeff Lacy was blowing through the division because he could punch. He couldn't box at all. He was lucky enough to face people that were either a) terrible boxers or b) couldn't take his power. As is well known, Joe Calzaghe has a pretty decent chin and despite a sloppy style supposedly it's "good". I don't think he's a good boxer, but it doesn't take much to be a better boxer than Jeff Lacy. I haven't seen Kessler fight, but knowing he lost to Calzaghe makes me question his ability. I definitely don't consider Calzaghe a "great" fighter. Looking at his record and opposition I guess he could be "good", but definitely not "great".

·
Registered
830 Posts
the thing i find with Calz, is that his fights arn't pretty. Which a lot of people see and then think that he is sloppy and bad. Calz fights look sloppy because he has a very awkward style (not to mention he's a southpaw) compared to a boxer like Mayweather whose fights are very pretty and neat (or least his side of it is) Calz is a boxer, but not a boxer like Mayweather. Calz foot work is a little dirty, he throws punches at weird ugly angles. BUT Calz is a GREAT fighter, i dont think there is a guy in SMW or Light Heavy that can take him, or least i dotn think there is a guy that would embarress him, he'd give anybody a very close fight.

-metly
You know your stuff mate...hats off and:thumbsup:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Roy beats a past his prime welterweight at light heavyweight and now he beats Calzaghe.....LMAO!!

he's not in joe's league, he would not last 6 rounds!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Um...what? You guys are serious haters. First of all, I said this before the Trinidad fight, but that fight just re-affirmed what I thought.

Jones has adapted to Winky Wright's style, but he's better at it than Winky is. I'm a firm believer that if he chooses to continue to fight the top competition in the divisions that he fights in, he may very well rise up to be king of the P4P list once again. If not, he'll definitely be holding titles. Probably walking over that lack-talent Calsissy.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Um...what? You guys are serious haters. First of all, I said this before the Trinidad fight, but that fight just re-affirmed what I thought.

Jones has adapted to Winky Wright's style, but he's better at it than Winky is. I'm a firm believer that if he chooses to continue to fight the top competition in the divisions that he fights in, he may very well rise up to be king of the P4P list once again. If not, he'll definitely be holding titles. Probably walking over that lack-talent Calsissy.

Cmon u can do better than that.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Cmon u can do better than that.
Titos a past his best blown up welterweight who had not fought in 2 years and had lost 2 of his last 3 fights.....dont get to excited about that win.

Any the top light heavyweights would have stopped Tito inside 6 rounds!

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I think Roy is in position to get a top fight next, and seems to be willing it...He clearly wants Joe next.. I think Roy will be able to give Joe a good fight

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yup even Pavlik at 160 wouldave murdered Tito, let alone Calzaghe, Dawson, Kessler and Hopkins who are all bigger than Tito.

Hopkins won Tito more convincing when Tito was 2nd p4p fighter in the world.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
I'm not sure about that third post with Jones being tired after the Trinidad fight and being paid to lose...I mean, come on? I'm just saying that, right now, if Calzaghe and Jones were to fight Jones would win a close fight either by KO or close UD.

Anyone is a better "technical" fighter than Jones. But, that's because Jones doesn't fight conventionally (mostly because he doesn't have to). I'm sure that if he was less athletic he would have conformed to conventional boxing technique.

Jeff Lacy was blowing through the division because he could punch. He couldn't box at all. He was lucky enough to face people that were either a) terrible boxers or b) couldn't take his power. As is well known, Joe Calzaghe has a pretty decent chin and despite a sloppy style supposedly it's "good". I don't think he's a good boxer, but it doesn't take much to be a better boxer than Jeff Lacy. I haven't seen Kessler fight, but knowing he lost to Calzaghe makes me question his ability. I definitely don't consider Calzaghe a "great" fighter. Looking at his record and opposition I guess he could be "good", but definitely not "great".
I think both of those points are very valid.

I would recommend taking alook at the Kessler vs Calzaghe fight when you get a chance though. Kessler is a nice fighter (conventional style with a powerful right hand, and decent handspeed).

Good stuff :thumbsup:

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Roy beats a past his prime welterweight at light heavyweight and now he beats Calzaghe.....LMAO!!

he's not in joe's league, he would not last 6 rounds!
Joe slap punches. I dont see him KOing Roy anytime soon. It would at the very least go to the cards. I think it would be a close fight, tough one to call.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Tommy made a good point about Tito. He was coming back after a LONG hiatus, and stepping up in weight. I knew this would not be a great matchup, and I actually thought Roy might get the KO. Tito has a very good chin. He gets knocked down, but not knocked out.

I still think a Roy vs Joe fight would be a very good matchup and hope that it gets made.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I can't believe more hasn't been made about how rediculous a mis-match the Tito-RJJ fight was. They should never have fought, full stop. It was absolute farce from start to finish.

If he was looking for a payday with another HOFer ,Tito-De La Hoya 2 at 154/160 would have made perfect sense instead of that circus show last night.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts