Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Great First Hand Look at Pavlik Pre/Post-Fight

866 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Kozie 
#1 ·
I would've posted it, but it was too many characters. As a Pavlik fan, I found this article to be very hopeful and uplifting. Props to Thomas Hauser for his continued great work.

Boxing - Columns - Thomas Hauser

#2 ·
good read. In all honesty the fight should of been postponed. that was stupid on team pavlik's part. the warning signs were there, especially a doctor's shot 4 days before the fight. probably wouldn't of mattered as Bernard looked damn near perfect but I believe the fight would of been at the very least closer. Kelly will come back strong next fight.

#3 ·
Very good article. Kelly is right, Hopkins has lost five times and he's regarded as one of the greatest of this era. Kelly needs to bounce back and show the world he can still do it. He should stick to Middleweight because also like Hopkins said that is his legacy.

#5 ·
Pavlik was going to lose that fight at any weight regardless of any health issues. I'm still killing myself over picking Pavlik because I watched Pavlik-Taylor II and thought to myself that Pavlik was going to get taken to schoo, but I stuck with what I originally thought and picked Pavlik. As you all know with about a minute left in round one I made a thread stating that Pavlik was going to lose. It was evident within 30 seconds. I should have known when Hopkins was being so nice during the pre-fight happenings that he was going to murder Pavlik, but I didn't flip my pick. I can't wait to see Hopkins fight again. I hope Calzaghe decides to fight him again. If that fight comes off I will bet every point I have on a Hopkins victory. Seriously.

EDIT: Unless the fight is in the UK.

#8 ·
Echoing everyone else's sentiments, I feel that whether Kelly was sick or not, he wasn't going to be getting a win over Hopkins on that night. It does sort of make me feel better to know that he was ill, though. I think he would have at least looked like himself at times and made it a little closer, if only winning three more rounds. A healthy Pavlik can still dominate at 160 and I think has a future at 168 if he fights the right guys in the right sort of progression.

#9 ·
looking at the up coming competition in the 160-168 divisions... then i'd say pavlik has got a great chance of dominating those weights for sometime...

but its not as if the mw and smw divisions are full of benn's, eubanks, mcclellans, watsons or collins any more so the competition isn't going to be too much for him...

but kessler... abraham... bute and andrade are the biggest threats out there for pavlik right now, however i think he beats andrade and bute easily... but kessler and abraham are the bigger threats

but i still think pavlik and his camp made the wrong decision of moving up 2 weights to fight someone like hopkins...

people forget pavlik is just 26 and he has little experience compared to hopkins especially at a weight pavlik never fought at before, and especially with the amount of smarts bernard hopkins uses in the ring. he rushed into things to quickly and paid the price... i just hope pavlik can bounce back well from this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.