Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who is the greatest middleweight of all time?

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Robinson wasnt really a mw imo, Hagler is imo the best MW of all time, altho i think Monzon and Hopkins are the runners up.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
A serious case could be made that Ruben "HURRICANE" Carter would have gave them all a run for their money......he was a smaller version of Joe Frazier only this guy did not stop trowing punches...

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
The list is lacking many great middleweights, but the main guy is up there, hagler, and thats all that really matters.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
The list is lacking many great middleweights, but the main guy is up there, hagler, and thats all that really matters.
Hagler was good no doudt about that, but great I don't know, he blew his defining moment with you know who..and he was'nt a devastator, simple Vito Antuofermo hung in there for 15 rounds giving as good as he took... Great no way....

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Hagler was good no doudt about that, but great I don't know, he blew his defining moment with you know who..and he was'nt a devastator, simple Vito Antuofermo hung in there for 15 rounds giving as good as he took... Great no way....
Thats your opinion. 6 out of 8 people already disagere with you though. Thats fine. Hagler lost his last fight. Other than that, he never really lost a fight. Yeah he had losses on his resume from early on in his career but at his peak, he was devastating. People remember him for his brutal fight with hearns, but what they forget is he was a masterful boxer with one of the most beautiful jabs I've ever seen. Hagler is Majestic. One of the greatest, ever.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Thats your opinion. 6 out of 8 people already disagere with you though. Thats fine. Hagler lost his last fight. Other than that, he never really lost a fight. Yeah he had losses on his resume from early on in his career but at his peak, he was devastating. People remember him for his brutal fight with hearns, but what they forget is he was a masterful boxer with one of the most beautiful jabs I've ever seen. Hagler is Majestic. One of the greatest, ever.
I sumitt Antuofermo held him to a tight draw, willie the worm and Bugaloo watts both from philly beat him, Bennie Briscoe took him to old philadelpia school, hearns fought the wrong fight, sugar ray embarresed him, like I said GREAT no way, top 10 maybe :laugh:

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I sumitt Antuofermo held him to a tight draw, willie the worm and Bugaloo watts both from philly beat him, Bennie Briscoe took him to old philadelpia school, hearns fought the wrong fight, sugar ray embarresed him, like I said GREAT no way, top 10 maybe :laugh:
Let me go down this list.

He beat antuofermo both times. Ask anyone, I dont care what the records say.

Willi and Watts did beat him, early in his career. Means little, if nothing.

Briscoe didnt take him to school.

Hearns faught the wrong fight? BS, Hagler was going to mess hearns up no matter what fight he faught.

Leonard embarrassed him? Then why is it still one of the most controversal bouts to this day. Do I think Leonard won. Sometimes. I've seen it so many times and scored it so many ways. But would you like to discredit all fighters who lost their last fight. Because you would be discredit about 99 percent of all boxers. Hagler was way past his best at this time and Leonard faught I believe at least 7 more years after that fight.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
And why do you allways have to bring reenforcement ,with the 8 people dissagree with you deal , the only one I hear crying out for his greatness is you...

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
And why do you allways have to bring reenforcement ,with the 8 people dissagree with you deal , the only one I hear crying out for his greatness is you...
Theres only 5 people online Hugo. Dont hate that I have reinforcement to use. Great arguments are backed by reinforcement and facts. You sir, at the moment, have zero reinforcement.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Theres only 5 people online Hugo. Dont hate that I have reinforcement to use. Great arguments are backed by reinforcement and facts. You sir, at the moment, have zero reinforcement.
Why would I need reinforcements when I have the real facts, it never fails with you every time we dissagree you star with the hostilities..

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
There's no point in arguing with you since you don't seem to care what the records say, I sumitt to you that Mike Tyson devastated twice the amount of guys hagler did in a more brutal fashion and he'll never see the inside of the BHOF......

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Why would I need reinforcements when I have the real facts, it never fails with you every time we dissagree you star with the hostilities..
No hostility hugo. Can't you just have a good debate with someone without trying to turn it into a personal battle? Thats not my intentions at all no matter what you believe. Let me let you in on something. Facts are reinforcements. But I dont see you providing any facts. None what so ever. This is a fact. 6 people have voted for hagler, 2 for robinson and 1 for grebb. Thats a fact. Saying "Hagler isn't great" Thats not fact, thats opinion. Show me your facts.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
There's no point in arguing with you since you don't seem to care what the records say, I sumitt to you that Mike Tyson devastated twice the amount of guys hagler did in a more brutal fashion and he'll never see the inside of the BHOF......
Why won't you debate with me about this issue? I don't understand why your getting so upset or whatever. How does Mike Tyson have anything to do with this discussion? But for the record, Tyson will definently be a HOF. There isn't one doubt about that. Hagler already is.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
No hostility hugo. Can't you just have a good debate with someone without trying to turn it into a personal battle? Thats not my intentions at all no matter what you believe. Let me let you in on something. Facts are reinforcements. But I dont see you providing any facts. None what so ever. This is a fact. 6 people have voted for hagler, 2 for robinson and 1 for grebb. Thats a fact. Saying "Hagler isn't great" Thats not fact, thats opinion. Show me your facts.
I'll give you a real fact, I'm willing to bet you what ever that out of those 6 people all of them are half my age and none of them including your self actually saw those early fights as I did and I'm telling you Bennie Briscoe was almost if not 40 years old when he fouhgt hagler and yes he lost but I tell you what , he took Hagler to school, and thats a fact....

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I'll give you a real fact, I'm willing to bet you what ever that out of those 6 people all of them are half my age and none of them including your self actually saw those early fights as I did and I'm telling you Bennie Briscoe was almost if not 40 years old when he fouhgt hagler and yes he lost but I tell you what , he took Hagler to school, and thats a fact....
I'm probably half your age, but I have in my possession and have seen all the fights you're talking about and more. If you really have seen the first Autoenfermo fight, then you would not say anything but Hagler was robbed. Except for a small late round surge at the end of the fight, it wasn't even close. Marvin casually out boxed from both stances, without even turning up the heat. If winning a couple rounds is schooling then, yeah, Briscoe schooled him. Hagler was the greatest and most dominant middleweight champion, hence people being afraid for Leonard's life.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I'm probably half your age, but I have in my possession and have seen all the fights you're talking about and more. If you really have seen the first Autoenfermo fight, then you would not say anything but Hagler was robbed. Except for a small late round surge at the end of the fight, it wasn't even close. Marvin casually out boxed from both stances, without even turning up the heat. If winning a couple rounds is schooling then, yeah, Briscoe schooled him. Hagler was the greatest and most dominant middleweight champion, hence people being afraid for Leonard's life.
That's your opinion, I seen that fight about 4 times, Antofuermo was defending the title, and Hagler play it safe , and while I'll give you that Hagler had a slight edge, I sumitt he did'nt do enough to merit winning the title ,therefore he got a draw whish was fair since Antofuermo kept the pressure the entire fight, and your 100% correct , Hagler did fight casually and it was that casualness that cost him the win, CCCAAANNNNNN YOUUU DDDDIIIIGGGG IIITTTT...:laugh:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Let me go down this list.

He beat antuofermo both times. Ask anyone, I dont care what the records say.

Willi and Watts did beat him, early in his career. Means little, if nothing.

Briscoe didnt take him to school.

Hearns faught the wrong fight? BS, Hagler was going to mess hearns up no matter what fight he faught.

Leonard embarrassed him? Then why is it still one of the most controversal bouts to this day. Do I think Leonard won. Sometimes. I've seen it so many times and scored it so many ways. But would you like to discredit all fighters who lost their last fight. Because you would be discredit about 99 percent of all boxers. Hagler was way past his best at this time and Leonard faught I believe at least 7 more years after that fight.
I agree that Hagler clearly beat Antuofermo both times. The draw should of been a W for Marvin

1 - 20 of 139 Posts