Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Danny Green won every round to beat Stipe Drews and be the WBA light heavy champion tonight.

It sets up another rematch with Anthony Mundine. A fight Mundine will win even easier this time around and will likely leave him as a two division world champion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,505 Posts
Mundine hasnt proved anything to me, all hes done since beating Green is look good against terrible competition. Green looks to be alot better at 175 than 168, but i think Mundine might still win.

It will be nice to see Mundine actually beat a champion to gain a title, rather than been given one or winning a vacant one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,505 Posts
Oh boy, would i love that. I just wish Calzaghe was 5 years younger and had time to give Mundine a royal spanking:laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mundines 2008 is going to be big.

Technically hes going to take the title away from Danny Green.

As to fighting Kessler and Calzaghe. Not yet. Still hes giving it some more time. P.S it was Kesslers closest fight other than the fight against Calzaghe. And Mundine has improved since then.

Hes an improving fighter. The guy had no amateur record. I think hes hitting his peak within the next couple of years.

His 2008 looks like this:
-Green
-Bika
-Lacy

A largely improving fighter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,505 Posts
Kessler has improved a tonne since then too, and he supposedly had a bad back that fight. Kessler would beat him again IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,210 Posts
Yup Kessler should beat him pretty bad in 08. If Mundine will fight Kessler its gonna be a bad year for aussies with katsidis fighting Juan Diaz and everything :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
i thought kessler won nearly every round against mundine in there fight.

if mundine beats green for the title at 175 he must go down as the worst 2 weight champion in history. :laugh:

i'll be shouting for danny if they fight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think you have seen Mundine at his best. Since that last Kessler fight he has improved a lot. You guys need to take into account he is still developing in the game. Vs Kessler he had nothing other than straight punches and combinations. Now he possesses some vicious hooks uppercuts and other counter combinations and a near perfect defence.

I know im not going to change your minds. But Mundine vs Kessler this year would be very very close.

As for the last reply not giving Mundine a round. I don't want to reply to that. Thats disgusting judging. He clearly won the 1st. And most likely the 3rd, 5th and 8th. It was closer than many people give him credit for.

I know you guys hate Mundine. But hes a well improved fighter. And sooner rather than later he will silence you, the last of his critics.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
Ultimateboxa said:
I don't think you have seen Mundine at his best. Since that last Kessler fight he has improved a lot. You guys need to take into account he is still developing in the game. Vs Kessler he had nothing other than straight punches and combinations. Now he possesses some vicious hooks uppercuts and other counter combinations and a near perfect defence.

I know im not going to change your minds. But Mundine vs Kessler this year would be very very close.

As for the last reply not giving Mundine a round. I don't want to reply to that. Thats disgusting judging. He clearly won the 1st. And most likely the 3rd, 5th and 8th. It was closer than many people give him credit for.

I know you guys hate Mundine. But hes a well improved fighter. And sooner rather than later he will silence you, the last of his critics.
i said nearly every round dude, there were a coulpe of close ones though.

the 3 judges scores.

referee: Luis Pabon | judge: Hubert Earle 112-116 | judge: Henk Meijers 108-120 | judge: Takeshi Shimakawa 113-117 ~

one of the judges actualy did give kessler every round. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,210 Posts
Yup imo Kessler won it pretty clearly and easily, i remember Kesslers jab was pretty awesome in that fight.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
Brutus said:
Yup imo Kessler won it pretty clearly and easily, i remember Kesslers jab was pretty awesome in that fight.
i thought mundine was on more of a survival mission than anything else in that fight.

kesslers far too good.
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
I'm very happy for The Green Machine... such a dominant performance! HE BEAT A WORLD CHAMPION FOR A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP... he didn't win a Vacant Title against somebody who was fed to him, or was terrible or overrated! Danny Green deserves that so much... so the rest of The Light Heavyweight Division better watch out for THE GREEN MACHINE! :laugh: Anthony "The Man" Mundine? Again... just another Rugby League THUG (so many of them wanna do boxing... well... not really... there is a difference in Brawling Boxing like George Foreman and just being a Sloppy Brawler like that John Hopoate... that other guy with the stupid tattoo across his chest and that Willie Mason idiot who was thinking of boxing as well) who doesn't always back up his mouth! He only beet The Green Machine last year because Danny was in the wrong weight division and looked flushed (trying to get down to the weight limit)! If Green went back down to Super Middleweight to fight Mundine... I don't think he'd win! If Mundine went up to Light Heavyweight to take on Green... I SWEAR THAT THE GREEN MACHINE WOULD WIN! They're 2 completely different fighters who are suited to 2 different weight divisions... the only reason they crossed paths was because Mundine was constantly teasing him in their little feud! Mundine may be a 2 Time World Champ... but so what? It was against a guy who just got off a court case and another guy who was very overrated (Sam Soliman)! Sam Soliman may be fit, strong and fast... and a great athlete... but his stance was all wrong! He was way too much of a Kickboxer to take on Mundine... his stance was all wrong! That's why Mundine won! Sorry Sam... I'm sure you're a nice guy... but you were never really that good! Remember how they made that big deal about Soliman throwing oh so many punches against Winky Wright? Over 1000 or something! Yeah... great... good! But how many of them actually connected? Also... who won the bout by Unanimous Decision? Mundine won both of his titles in vacant bouts with assistance of Politics and everything! He is yet to beat a legitimate opponent! The guys he has lost to weren't even that good either! If he's gonna beat Calzaghe or whoever else he wants to run his mouth off at... he can try... but he won't! Plus... he wants to win World Championships in other Weight Divisions! What the hell? Mundine... SHUT UP... PLEASE! You're overrated... you were lucky to get those World Championships... once you start having more fights overseas in the real big time against real opponents... the men will be sort from the boys! This has probably been without a doubt my most angry and aggressive post that I've ever produced and I'm sorry about that... but Mundine couldn't even beat Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy... I BETCHA! One more thing... WELL DONE TO "THE GREEN MACHINE" DANNY GREEN... YOU ARE A TRUE CHAMPION, ROLE MODEL AND A VERY GOOD MAN AND FAMILY MAN! Oh... AND I KNOW MUNDINE HAS IMPROVED AS A FIGHTER... YES... I ADMIT THAT... but he is still MORE ASS THAN CLASS! THANK YOU!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
Larry Holmes said:
I'm very happy for The Green Machine... such a dominant performance! HE BEAT A WORLD CHAMPION FOR A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP... he didn't win a Vacant Title against somebody who was fed to him, or was terrible or overrated! Danny Green deserves that so much... so the rest of The Light Heavyweight Division better watch out for THE GREEN MACHINE! :laugh: Anthony "The Man" Mundine? Again... just another Rugby League THUG (so many of them wanna do boxing... well... not really... there is a difference in Brawling Boxing like George Foreman and just being a Sloppy Brawler like that John Hopoate... that other guy with the stupid tattoo across his chest and that Willie Mason idiot who was thinking of boxing as well) who doesn't always back up his mouth! He only beet The Green Machine last year because Danny was in the wrong weight division and looked flushed (trying to get down to the weight limit)! If Green went back down to Super Middleweight to fight Mundine... I don't think he'd win! If Mundine went up to Light Heavyweight to take on Green... I SWEAR THAT THE GREEN MACHINE WOULD WIN! They're 2 completely different fighters who are suited to 2 different weight divisions... the only reason they crossed paths was because Mundine was constantly teasing him in their little feud! Mundine may be a 2 Time World Champ... but so what? It was against a guy who just got off a court case and another guy who was very overrated (Sam Soliman)! Sam Soliman may be fit, strong and fast... and a great athlete... but his stance was all wrong! He was way too much of a Kickboxer to take on Mundine... his stance was all wrong! That's why Mundine won! Sorry Sam... I'm sure you're a nice guy... but you were never really that good! Remember how they made that big deal about Soliman throwing oh so many punches against Winky Wright? Over 1000 or something! Yeah... great... good! But how many of them actually connected? Also... who won the bout by Unanimous Decision? Mundine won both of his titles in vacant bouts with assistance of Politics and everything! He is yet to beat a legitimate opponent! The guys he has lost to weren't even that good either! If he's gonna beat Calzaghe or whoever else he wants to run his mouth off at... he can try... but he won't! Plus... he wants to win World Championships in other Weight Divisions! What the hell? Mundine... SHUT UP... PLEASE! You're overrated... you were lucky to get those World Championships... once you start having more fights overseas in the real big time against real opponents... the men will be sort from the boys! This has probably been without a doubt my most angry and aggressive post that I've ever produced and I'm sorry about that... but Mundine couldn't even beat Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy... I BETCHA! One more thing... WELL DONE TO "THE GREEN MACHINE" DANNY GREEN... YOU ARE A TRUE CHAMPION, ROLE MODEL AND A VERY GOOD MAN AND FAMILY MAN! Oh... AND I KNOW MUNDINE HAS IMPROVED AS A FIGHTER... YES... I ADMIT THAT... but he is still MORE ASS THAN CLASS! THANK YOU!
welcome back dude.

i agree with you on green being better at 175 too. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,505 Posts
TommyGunn said:
i thought mundine was on more of a survival mission than anything else in that fight.

kesslers far too good.
Yeh, the first 4 rounds were fairly close but once Mundine felt Kessler's power he was in survival mode for the rest of the fight. Kessler will beat Mundine again, i had the first fight 118-111 and wouldnt be surprised if the second fight was the same. Kessler has the much superior jab and this will stop Mundine using his speed advantage fully. Kessler will control the fight with his jab and when Mundine gets reckless Kessler will catch him with big right hands. Then we'll either see Mundine go into survival mode again... or get KO'd:cheeky4:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Larry Holmes said:
I'm very happy for The Green Machine... such a dominant performance! HE BEAT A WORLD CHAMPION FOR A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP... he didn't win a Vacant Title against somebody who was fed to him, or was terrible or overrated! Danny Green deserves that so much... so the rest of The Light Heavyweight Division better watch out for THE GREEN MACHINE! :laugh: Anthony "The Man" Mundine? Again... just another Rugby League THUG (so many of them wanna do boxing... well... not really... there is a difference in Brawling Boxing like George Foreman and just being a Sloppy Brawler like that John Hopoate... that other guy with the stupid tattoo across his chest and that Willie Mason idiot who was thinking of boxing as well) who doesn't always back up his mouth! He only beet The Green Machine last year because Danny was in the wrong weight division and looked flushed (trying to get down to the weight limit)! If Green went back down to Super Middleweight to fight Mundine... I don't think he'd win! If Mundine went up to Light Heavyweight to take on Green... I SWEAR THAT THE GREEN MACHINE WOULD WIN! They're 2 completely different fighters who are suited to 2 different weight divisions... the only reason they crossed paths was because Mundine was constantly teasing him in their little feud! Mundine may be a 2 Time World Champ... but so what? It was against a guy who just got off a court case and another guy who was very overrated (Sam Soliman)! Sam Soliman may be fit, strong and fast... and a great athlete... but his stance was all wrong! He was way too much of a Kickboxer to take on Mundine... his stance was all wrong! That's why Mundine won! Sorry Sam... I'm sure you're a nice guy... but you were never really that good! Remember how they made that big deal about Soliman throwing oh so many punches against Winky Wright? Over 1000 or something! Yeah... great... good! But how many of them actually connected? Also... who won the bout by Unanimous Decision? Mundine won both of his titles in vacant bouts with assistance of Politics and everything! He is yet to beat a legitimate opponent! The guys he has lost to weren't even that good either! If he's gonna beat Calzaghe or whoever else he wants to run his mouth off at... he can try... but he won't! Plus... he wants to win World Championships in other Weight Divisions! What the hell? Mundine... SHUT UP... PLEASE! You're overrated... you were lucky to get those World Championships... once you start having more fights overseas in the real big time against real opponents... the men will be sort from the boys! This has probably been without a doubt my most angry and aggressive post that I've ever produced and I'm sorry about that... but Mundine couldn't even beat Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy... I BETCHA! One more thing... WELL DONE TO "THE GREEN MACHINE" DANNY GREEN... YOU ARE A TRUE CHAMPION, ROLE MODEL AND A VERY GOOD MAN AND FAMILY MAN! Oh... AND I KNOW MUNDINE HAS IMPROVED AS A FIGHTER... YES... I ADMIT THAT... but he is still MORE ASS THAN CLASS! THANK YOU!
I read the first paragraph and it wasn't worth reading the rest of your quote. I think you need to remember one thing here, " Mundine destroyed Danny Green last year". It was a wide UD. Nearly stopped him in the 11th. Even at light heavy Mundine still kills Green. Even Greens fans have acknowledged that, except you.

Back on the Kessler fight people. I agree he was on a survival mission. But if Mundine fights aggressive he can cause Kessler a few problems. Hes got to proove that though. And im sure by the end of 2008 he will.

As for the titles. Well he beat Echolls and he was paying $4.40 head to head so thats some kind of acheivement. Soliman, well he was over rated. But my point about this is, if you don't recognise top contenders fighting for vacant titles, then boxing history is illegitimate. And every boxers record will most likely be redundant. You have to follow boxing rules and fighting for a vacant title is still a title, the champion can not be there forever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TommyGunn said:
i thought mundine was on more of a survival mission than anything else in that fight.

kesslers far too good.
But he looked good at times in the fight. Sometimes you see something in a fighter. Mundine has the tools to cause Kessler problems, he needs to be more aggressive. Since the last fight he has developed so much more as a fighter, im sure Kessler has, but just not as much as Mundine. Mundine having no amateur career has allowed for this rapid progress. He needs to fight Green, Lacy and Bika this year. Three fights i will put my house on he wins comftorably.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,505 Posts
NADER HAMDAN received some strange glances as he changed a flat tyre yesterday afternoon.
"My smile is so wide, people probably think I'm on drugs, grinning like this changing my tyre," he said.
Hamdan had just received a phone call - the one he'd been waiting for ever since he pulled on gloves and threw the first of a million punches.
The 33-year-old boxer will finally fight for a world title. And he doesn't have to worry about whether Australia will be paying attention, because his opponent, charismatic world champion Anthony Mundine, brings the eyes with him.
An official announcement of the bout will be held this morning at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, and the venue should live up to its name if both men are in their usual high spirits and firing oral uppercuts.
Hamdan has already started: "I'm going in there with a knock-out-or-be-knocked-out mentality. I can't stand there and try to out-box the guy, I admit he is a superior boxer - but not a superior fighter. I have two hands and a heart, and anyone can be beaten, can be hurt.
"I'm going to make this ugly and rough."
That, surprisingly, will be music to Mundine's hip-hop tuned ears. The reason Hamdan has been given a crack at the WBA super-middleweight belt is because he is so tough, durable, ugly and rough.
With big fight plans for next year, including a rematch with arch-rival Danny Green, Mundine wants a stern challenge first-up. No unknown South Americans who will fall within four, thanks.
He will view Hamdan as the right candidate, but a speed bump nonetheless. Mundine will be the heavy favourite; he has quicker hands, slicker defence, and is in his prime. The weary body of Hamdan, a veteran of 45 fights, is wearing the inner scars of a long ring career and he is not the same fighter he was four years ago with a 32-0 record.
His first loss was inflicted by Sam Soliman, and Hamdan has been beaten another four times since.
However, he approached most of those fateful encounters with limited preparation and in a less than ideal physical state, given he has undergone a complete shoulder reconstruction recently.
This time, he will have plenty of training time, with the fight scheduled for late February. "My shoulder is fine, I feel good and I'm going to train my heart out for this fight," he said.
"This is the opportunity I have waited for so long and I still can't believe it has come. I am almost jumping out of my skin."
Hamdan, the speed bump, plans to become a hurdle Mundine can't climb, boasting: "I will happily give him a rematch when I win."
Mundine is looking for a toilsome time, he needs someone to expose any flaws before the punishing Green does.
 
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Top