Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Jake Donovan.

The decision was made by Guzman’s manager, Jose Nunez, after a series of events left the fighter in unfavorable circumstances. Team Guzman has been trying for the past few weeks to expedite the process of the WBO rescheduling his mandatory defense against Alex Arthur.

The bout was originally scheduled for April 26 before being pushed back a week to May 3. The May 3 date was lost after a misunderstanding over the timing of Guzman’s visa being issued. With the WBO and Warren unable to come up with a May date, and now possibly talking July, it was decided that another two months of shrinking down to 130 wasn’t quite worth the effort for a bout that wouldn’t even air in the states.

The decision was that much easier to make once Guzman recently learned of his mother developing a head tumor. It was upon hearing that news that Nunez advised his fighter to break camp and spend time with his mother.

No word on when Guzman plans to return to the ring, or who will be his next opponent. Arthur’s next fight will presumably be for the vacant title sometime this summer.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
By Jake Donovan.

The decision was made by Guzman’s manager, Jose Nunez, after a series of events left the fighter in unfavorable circumstances. Team Guzman has been trying for the past few weeks to expedite the process of the WBO rescheduling his mandatory defense against Alex Arthur.

The bout was originally scheduled for April 26 before being pushed back a week to May 3. The May 3 date was lost after a misunderstanding over the timing of Guzman’s visa being issued. With the WBO and Warren unable to come up with a May date, and now possibly talking July, it was decided that another two months of shrinking down to 130 wasn’t quite worth the effort for a bout that wouldn’t even air in the states.

The decision was that much easier to make once Guzman recently learned of his mother developing a head tumor. It was upon hearing that news that Nunez advised his fighter to break camp and spend time with his mother.

No word on when Guzman plans to return to the ring, or who will be his next opponent. Arthur’s next fight will presumably be for the vacant title sometime this summer.

My thoughts and prayers are with Joan Guzman and his family on hearing the sad news of his mothers illness. He needs to be with his Mother and the family not worrying about a title defense

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sad news....Hope she recovers well.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope all is well. Who pushed for the title to be relinquished?
Nobody "pushed" for it to be relinquished his manager made the decision to move to 135.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Damm what a tough break , My heart goes out to his mother I hope they caught it soon enough to help her recover, I'm sure he'll be by her side no matter what...

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Great Lightweight Division now:
Joel Casamayor
Nate Campbell
Manny Pacquiao
Juan Diaz
David Diaz
Juan Manuel Marquez
Michael Katsidis
Amir Khan

Great division! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I aggree my heart goes out to the Guzman family. He shouldnt have to worry about a title defense at this time, sad news.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thoughts with Guzman and his family, hope to see him fight again soon.

From a personal standpoint, very disappointed i wont be seeing a world class boxer in my home city anymore, would have been great to see Guzman aswell ;)

At least i will get my live boxing fix in a big way from the Pacman Diaz fight.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Boxing is irrelevant when something like that happens. Hopefully Guzman will be back and better than ever at 135lbs when all is well at home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts