Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

By Jake Donovan

Boxingscene.com has been informed that undefeated former two-division titlist Joan Guzman is set to return to the ring on December 20. The location, opponent and weight have all been named, though manager Jose Nunez is in the process of putting the final touches on a big show in Guzman’s hometown of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

Plans call for Guzman (28-0, 17KO) to return to the ring against Ameth Diaz of Panama, in a WBA lightweight title elimination bout, in addition to Diaz’ regional title.

It has yet to be determined whether the winner will become the mandatory challenger, or if it’s an eliminator for the number two ranking.

Guzman’s proposed opponent is the latest – and least popular – in a long line of lightweights named Diaz. The Panamanian fell short last November in efforts to obtain a junior welterweight title shot, losing in a fourth round stoppage against former titlist Souleyman M’Baye.

He’s since won two straight and carries a record of 25-7 (19KO). At stak

The bout will be Guzman’s first since last November, when he outlasted Humberto Soto en route to a decision win in a junior lightweight bout on HBO. The Dominican has been inactive throughout 2008, despite having two scheduled bouts.

Injuries and lack of alternate television dates killed his plans to travel to Scotland for an alphabet title defense against Alex Arthur earlier this year. He would ultimately vacate the title in pursuit of lightweight glory, as he was able to land a title shot against multi-belted Nate Campbell, which was scheduled for last month on Showtime.

That bout hit the scrap heap after Guzman failed to make the lightweight limit, coming in more than three pounds over at the weigh-in, leaving Campbell without a fight or payday and the network without a viable main event.

Despite his inability to make weight for that fight, Team Guzman insist that are no plans in the works to move up beyond the 135 lb. division. They also ensure that the fighter will make weight, as they realize the generous opportunity being granted, having avoided suspension, major fines and legal action from last month’s debacle.

Though currently promoted by Sycuan Ringside Promotions, Guzman was given permission to fight in Dominican Republic on a show to be presented by Jay Boxing Promotions. It will be the same promotional arrangement as Guzman’s last fight in Dominican Republic, which will be almost two years to the date by the time he steps into the ring for this bout.

There is no word yet on whether the bout will air in the states, though attempts to work out a deal with TV Azteca America are in place.

Jay Boxing Promotions is still putting together the undercard, with assistance from noted matchmaker Sampson Lewkowicz. One fighter whose appearance has been confirmed is undefeated welterweight prospect Norberto Gonzalez of Mexico.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hope this is aired in the U.S. I can always get a stream, but I want to see it on the plasma.

No need to bitch about things like, "Guzman should be banned." He wasn't, so it is irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I can't wait either. The crap he pulled with Nate is what it was. It is in the past, and has no effect on the future of his career. I can't wait to see Guzman fight again. I've always enjoyed his fights.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
He's brilliant. I can't fualt a man because of his body. I just can't do it. After draining myself to make weight the many times I did, I won't critisize someone else for it.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Before anything else, I don't blame Guzman for what he did. It was understandable. This said, his stock as a fighter has plummeted real down to places where I doubt he can rebound from. His actuations may have been forgivable for an average boxer, but not for someone you would call a great champion. For example, Pacquiao was just as sick before JMM I and Morales III, yet he proceeded to face these fearsome HOFers right in the eye. Now Nate Campbell isn't exactly as skilled as JMM or Morales, nor is he a HOFer like them. Yet Guzman forfeited on his appointment with destiny.

I'm just saying this because some people have been touting Guzman to be a great boxer, with some even making comparisons to Pacquiao. Tell me, how can you be a great anything when on the night of your biggest fight you do not show up? Boxing is a spectator sport, and the adage "the show must go on" holds truer here than in any other forms of entertainment. Pacquiao understood this, as any other great boxer should, that's why he never balked out in any of his fights against a lot more formidable warriors than Campbell. So there is a really HUGE difference between these two fighters, and I hope I don't get to hear accusations like Guzman is better than Pac or Pac is ducking Guzman again when we have seen that Guzman does not even have the balls to face someone like Nate Campbell with the whole world watching. Let no one talk about him anymore in the same breath as Pacquiao's.

Joan Guzman held the spotlight as the whole boxing world took precious time off and awaited his performance in a fight that was to define his career. He came up short, and failed to impress. Worse, he did not even show up. The world of entertainment and its audience is an unforgiving and exacting lot. With so many entertainers and athletes to choose from, it does not give second chances for stardom.

G

·
If he couldn't make weight to fight somebody like Campbell how's he going to make weight for somebody like Diaz?
It's not that he couldn't make the weight for Nate, he just rolled the dice and came in to his training camp at a ridiculously high weight and couldn't shed the last few pounds in time without draining himself. I'm sure he's learned from that.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
I hope this is aired in the U.S. I can always get a stream, but I want to see it on the plasma.

No need to bitch about things like, "Guzman should be banned." He wasn't, so it is irrelevant.
Doesnt alter the fact that the jerk SHOULD have been banned and heavily fined too. At the very least he should be forced to turn over his purse to Nate Campbell to offset Nate's expenses in preparing for the fight.
Guzman knew long before fight night he couldnt make weight. Its scum like him that give boxing a bad name

·
8,579 Posts
He's brilliant. I can't fualt a man because of his body. I just can't do it. After draining myself to make weight the many times I did, I won't critisize someone else for it.
Nate Campbell made weight Lance, so do the vast majority of fighters. Why should Guzman be any different. I'm sure if Hatton doesnt make weight for Malignaggi you'd be all over him like a cheap suit

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Doesnt alter the fact that the jerk SHOULD have been banned and heavily fined too. At the very least he should be forced to turn over his purse to Nate Campbell to offset Nate's expenses in preparing for the fight.
Guzman knew long before fight night he couldnt make weight. Its scum like him that give boxing a bad name
Nate Campbell made weight Lance, so do the vast majority of fighters. Why should Guzman be any different. I'm sure if Hatton doesnt make weight for Malignaggi you'd be all over him like a cheap suit
You just can't be positive can you. The negatively you bring to the forum is becoming a seriously problem. Your worse than mma trollers. I'll ask you nicely, please stop the negativety towards boxing in general or something will have to be done.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts

Damn CJ, every post is complaining about something, why do you feel the need to do this every thread? If you dislike soo many aspects of the sport of boxing, why not just switch to MMA or something?

·
8,579 Posts
Damn CJ, every post is complaining about something, why do you feel the need to do this every thread? If you dislike soo many aspects of the sport of boxing, why not just switch to MMA or something?
I never watch MMA Rawly, but I've been part of or watching boxing for over 30 years. I have my own opinions like you and everyone else does. This is a boxing forum where such opinions can be discussed or at least it should be. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me.
I LOVE the sport Rawly boxing has been good to me and I've tried to give something back in a small way myself.
I merely posed the question, Why did team Pavlik demand the change of officials

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
Im gonna agree with CJ on this Guzman should of made weight and it was his faught for not doing so, he cost a lot of people money by doing it too, should of been fined and 6 month ban

People have been banned for less

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I never watch MMA Rawly, but I've been part of or watching boxing for over 30 years. I have my own opinions like you and everyone else does. This is a boxing forum where such opinions can be discussed or at least it should be. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me.
I LOVE the sport Rawly boxing has been good to me and I've tried to give something back in a small way myself.
I merely posed the question, Why did team Pavlik demand the change of officials
Only a [STRIKE]retard[/STRIKE] would ask that question in a Guzman thread.

C'mon man -Balistik

·
8,579 Posts
Only a [STRIKE]retard[/STRIKE] would ask that question in a Guzman thread.
Are attempted insults all you've got to offer wicked?? If so try them on someone else you just make me laugh

G

·
i like Guzman, hes exciting and i like to watch him fight, but it wasnt just as simple as that for the campbell fight lance,he fukked up. didnt make the effort, plain and simple.

that said i looking forward to seeing him fight again aswell.

·
8,579 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.