Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are good boxers naturally talented or are they products of the gym??? In other words, can a person with no boxing talent whatsoever go to a renound gym with proven trainer(ie, manny stewart, angelo dundee, floyd maywether snr) and become a world champion?? My personal feeling is that you would need a little of both but it has been proven and admitted that some champions are what they are because of the gym and setup!

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Are good boxers naturally talented or are they products of the gym??? In other words, can a person with no boxing talent whatsoever go to a renound gym with proven trainer(ie, manny stewart, angelo dundee, floyd maywether snr) and become a world champion?? My personal feeling is that you would need a little of both but it has been proven and admitted that some champions are what they are because of the gym and setup!
I'd say you always need a bit of natural talent, but if you start in the gym at a young age you can make it that way as well :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I would say the younger you start the more (it is possible) your probabilities can go up dramtically. 60% natural talent (speed, power, chin, heart) and 40% gym work (dedication, stamina, technique).

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I believe everything is possible if you start at a young age in the gym. Of course there are limitations such as speed, reflexes and knockout power. But skills is something you can develop with experience, you can learn how to punch hard, relexes can also be worked on...
Let's say you might be born without any real phisical gift, but you can get your attributes to their best in the gym, and you're only gonna be superated in those departments by someone who worked as hard as you, but born more talented(wich is rare btw, and these are the top fighters in the planet).

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I think they are more world champs with little talent and a lot of dedication than the other way around. The greatest fighters are a combination of both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts