Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who was that US commentator with a white bow tie that kept saying Antuofermo was one tough cookie?

That was without a shadow of a doubt some of the worst commentary ever to go along with one of the worst decisions ever.

I scored 12 out of 15 rounds to Hagler oddly because I wasn't impressed with Vituofermo leading with his face and then cut to bits face for 15 rounds.

Every time Vituofermo rushed in and got his face cracked with a jab a cross and two uppercus etc and landed one ugly glancing blow that commentator said great work from Vito.

I thought is that commentator smoking crack or does he not like black people or what?

Insane commentary and scoring....same everytime I watch the fight hehe

What do you guys know about that idiot commentator?

What was the reaction in the US at the time and how did you guys score the fight?

P.S

He made Hatton look like the definition of educated pressue against Mayweather. Bulls in Spain use more educated when they are running at a matador with knifes trailing out of them.

That commentator saying Vito took most of the rounds after the 8th.......yea sure mate and the Titanic came out winning against that iceberg afer a bad start......... sick.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Im pretty sure it was Howard Cossel Chris. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea it looks like the guy....nice one Tommy.

How did such a big US commentator (looks like he was) call a fight that one sided in that way?

Staggering.

Vito looked embarrassed at the end of that fight and seemed to talk about what he didn't do and about a re-match, I would have thought he knew he lost.

And the judges unreal.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I dont remember much of the comments during the fight bro its been years since i saw it. It sounds like Howards way off the mark with that one though because Hagler won that fight clearly. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
It was Cossell, but what's weird is when I watched Legends of the Ring on Versus I don't remember it being him:dunno:. Anyway, since I'm not sure it was him, I'm not going to say anything. The Pacheco-Darchinyan commentators are disgraceful as well and I'm sure if we knew different languages we'd hear some horrific commentating.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I thought Vito fought a good fight and that Hagler could have done more. Cossell is a pretty awful commentator tho, always has been.
Ok... So that's why he's the most popular and recognizable announcer, commentator:rolleyes:. Is that why he's most of today's announcers and commentators inspiration and most of them are able to mimic his style?

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Ok... So that's why he's the most popular and recognizable announcer, commentator:rolleyes:. Is that why he's most of today's announcers and commentators inspiration and most of them are able to mimic his style?
I'm entitled to think Cossell is a terrible announcer. He never knew much about boxing and he'd constantly call the opposite of what was actually happening in the ring.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All I know is I thought that comentator did a terrible job on that fight. I must have heard the guy lots of times before as I have watched loads of fights he has been covering, but I never heard him talk so much rubbish or saw him, so I didn't put the name to the face.

P.S

I'm not sure what Hagler could have done more. I had him winning 12 rounds to 3...

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
I thought Vito fought a good fight and that Hagler could have done more. Cossell is a pretty awful commentator tho, always has been.
I definitely agree with you on that one. Hagler is one of my all time favourite fighters but he should not have tried to play it safe.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Even when he tried to play it safe he obviously won the fight. The fight upset Hagler's co-trainer so much that he went behind the stands and threw up, because "we just didn't do right that night."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts