Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
The Hopkins that beat Tito and Oscar would lose to anyone elite his size.

The one that fought Calzaghe would have a better chance to steal a decision.

Hagler beats both versions first one easy second one in a tough boring hug fest.

·
Registered
830 Posts
IMHO Hagler win such a hypothetical fight 90+ times out of a hundred.

Hagler for me was probably THE all time great middleweight alongside Sugar Ray Robinson.

I also think that the generation of fighters that Hagler had for opposition were far superior to that which Hopkins faced.

All opinions though isn't it and no one can be right or wrong no matter how much they might demand that they are, that even goes for me, no scratch that last bit :laugh:

Interesting post :thumbsup:

·
Registered
249 Posts
IMHO Hagler win such a hypothetical fight 90+ times out of a hundred.

Hagler for me was probably THE all time great middleweight alongside Sugar Ray Robinson.

I also think that the generation of fighters that Hagler had for opposition were far superior to that which Hopkins faced.

All opinions though isn't it and no one can be right or wrong no matter how much they might demand that they are:laugh::thumbsup:

There careers are similar in Hearns, Leonard and Mugabi all came up to 160lbs to fight Marvin.

But Hearns went on to hold a title at Cruzerweight and Leonard won a world title at 168lbs so there progress was more a natural move up. Both Tito and Oscar did nothing at 160lbs and only recently did Tito fight at 168lbs and he was battered by a ultra faded Roy Jones (Who i hope Calzaghe does not fight next)

But Hagler for me imo.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I'm not so sure , I wouldn't bet on the Hagler who couldn't catch a Ray Leonard against the Hopkins who boxed circles around Tito......
I wouldn't place Hagler in the same cathegory a SRRobinson, Robinson was a machine in constant motion and he trew way more punches then hagler ever did , and was way better thecnically all around....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Monzon on his day beats both. But Hagler over Hopkins every time.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
This fight maybe closer than people imagine, Hagler would edge it though.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm not so sure , I wouldn't bet on the Hagler who couldn't catch a Ray Leonard against the Hopkins who boxed circles around Tito......
A) You are talking about Sugar Ray leonard, bare that in mind. IMHO Leonard also beats Hopkins hands down, even at middleweight which wasn't Leonards best weight.

B) Hagler won the fight against Leonard by a good two or even three rounds, the judging in that fight was really poor. The idea that Leonard just danced around Hagler bears no truth with most people (least the ones I have spoken to). In that fight the judges were FAR too enamoured with Leonard's flurries in the last 60 seconds of many rounds, Hagler hit with far more scoring punches.

That is how I see it anyway...if you watched the Hagler Leonard fight live as I did and differ then fine, but if you are commenting on what was reported then I would say it is wide of the mark..

·
Registered
830 Posts
You only have to look at Haglers record in his defenses to see the gap in class. Hagler fought in an era of fantastic middleweight boxers and was undefeated from something like mid 70s until the highly questionable split decision loss to Leonard in 1987.

His 2 losses and 2 draws were pretty much dodgy home town decisions when he fought on the road, the Leonard decision just being bad period.

The guy was middleweight champion for a crazy amount of time...but agin look at the guys he fought...and he was a top contender who wasn't given a title shot for years cause he was so feared.

He beat John the beast Mugabi who was 26-0 with 26 kos! He beat Tommy the hitman Hearns in his prime, he beat Roberto Duran! and he did beat Sugar Ray Leonard no matter what those idiot judges said.

I could mention loads more decent fighters....who did Hopkins beat in comparison?

Hopkins was beaten by Roy Jones in his first big middleweight shot, he was beaten TWICE by Jermaine Taylor who has been shown to have been much more limited than people first thought, he has been beaten by Calzaghe albeit at a heavierweight class (has some bearing in terms of legacy) etc....

The records are not even close to being comprable IMHO.

It seems to me that it is just one of those situations where it is easy to forget quite how great Hagler was in comparison to a active or recently retired fighter, a situation where it is easy without closer inspection to the guys they actually fought to leap to the wrong conclusion and a situation where if you didn't see both first hand you could get it wrong.

Whcih is why it is good that most people seem to be on the right side on this one.....

Hagler was a world star, a star in a division and era of stars and Hopkins was a very good fighter in a generaly poor era who lost big fights to quite a few guys..

In the UK outside of the boxing scene Hopkins is hardly known, certainly before the Calzaghe fight, he is a star/legend in the US, but not a worldwide star like Hagler was.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hagler all the way, Hopkins would make it tough and close though.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
A) You are talking about Sugar Ray leonard, bare that in mind. IMHO Leonard also beats Hopkins hands down, even at middleweight which wasn't Leonards best weight.

B) Hagler won the fight against Leonard by a good two or even three rounds, the judging in that fight was really poor. The idea that Leonard just danced around Hagler bears no truth with most people (least the ones I have spoken to). In that fight the judges were FAR too enamoured with Leonard's flurries in the last 60 seconds of many rounds, Hagler hit with far more scoring punches.

That is how I see it anyway...if you watched the Hagler Leonard fight live as I did and differ then fine, but if you are commenting on what was reported then I would say it is wide of the mark..
I seen the fight many times and while I agree Hagler may have won the fight thecnically but got rob, he looked terrible, he was having a bad night, you could make a case that he might have over trained and was just plain out flat that night.
while he did press forward most of the fight it wasn't and effective presure, Leonard looked good dancing around, clownning and closing the round with flurries, I tell you there's this instance during the fight, I can remember which round, but as Leonard flurried Hagler was covering up with both hands at the side of his head the bell sounded and hagler still covering while Leonard made a gesture of dominance by raising his arms and lowering them while staring at Hagler, to me that instance seal Haglers fate it gave the impression of Leonard dominating.. while it may not have seemed fair. Leonard dictated the pace of that fight ......also Haglers attemtps at mocking after the fight was very out of character for him, giving further impressions that even he wasn't sure he won....

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.