Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who won?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
It's been a while since I saw this fight, but I felt that Hagler landed the harder and more key shots in the fight. While Leonard had his track shoes on and was hitting and running.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I want to say Hagler, because I thought he won when I first saw the fight back in the day, but I was/am a big Hagler fan, so I was biased and not as knowledgeable as a boxing fan. Like I said in another thread, though, with each additional time I watch that fight, I feel more like Leonard won it. I don't usually let how a fighter feels about their performance affect my judgement, but in this case, it's hard not to. Hagler was obviously so distraught over feeling he got the short end of the stick once again just as he did when he was given a draw in the first fight with Antuofermo. He stuck to his guns and stay retired in protest of this fight. I appreciate his convictions and it's a shame his career had to end that way.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had Leonard clearly winning the fight, and I've had it the same way each time I've watched it.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
It's been a while since I saw this fight, but I felt that Hagler landed the harder and more key shots in the fight. While Leonard had his track shoes on and was hitting and running.
I feel the same way, but it has been a long azz time since I watched it also. Maybe if I get some time this weekend?

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
I feel the same way, but it has been a long azz time since I watched it also. Maybe if I get some time this weekend?
Hagler won 2 1/2 mins of the rounds leonard shoeshined the last 30 secs Therefore Hagler wins the fight

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I had Leonard clearly winning the fight, and I've had it the same way each time I've watched it.
The thing is I remember you saying you scored Cotto-Mosley for Mosley when I couldnt really give Mosley more than 3 maybe 4 rounds and 4 would be me giving him every shadow of a doubt and in my eyes a stretch because even when Cotto was doing his side to side thing and bouncing on his toes he was beating Mosley to the punch time after time with clean hard punches throughout.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I scored it for SRL, Hagler wasnt landing anything clean he was just punching SRL, on the gloves, hands and shoulder and i gave it to SRL from the first time i saw the fight. (off topic i scored Cotto vs Mosley 7-5 for Cotto)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hagler won the fight, Lenard was a better dancer tho

·
Registered
652 Posts
At the time I scored it for Hagler but I was about 10 years old. Since then I have grown up and watched the fight again and Leonard won it.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The thing is I remember you saying you scored Cotto-Mosley for Mosley when I couldnt really give Mosley more than 3 maybe 4 rounds and 4 would be me giving him every shadow of a doubt and in my eyes a stretch because even when Cotto was doing his side to side thing and bouncing on his toes he was beating Mosley to the punch time after time with clean hard punches throughout.
After Mosley started to box he was getting the better of Cotto. A lot of people scored the fight to Mosley.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
After Mosley started to box he was getting the better of Cotto. A lot of people scored the fight to Mosley.
Including me.:) 7-5 Mosely.

But about Hagler-Leonard, I scored it in favor of Hagler. He gave away the first 3 rounds but after he got going and went back to southpaw, he was beating Ray. Ray would do a quick flurries at the end of the round, but Hagler won 2/3 of the round so I gave the round to him. I don't score in favor of just one big flurry unless it drops someone or they get a standing 8.

Hagler landed the harder shots and blocked and slipped a lot of punches. Marvin pounded Ray's body when he was on the ropes or in a corner, and landed telling blows from the outside and shook Ray's world a few times. Ray would fire back with quick flurries that were either blocked or did no damage.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Found a good video with highlites of the fight. It showed more of Leonards than Haglers but that's ok.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I score it a draw most times but i'll go with leonard. He wouldnt of beat a prime hagler though. So much for 80 percent of people thinking hagler won............

Cotto beat mosley.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I scored it for Hagler. But the fight sucked IMO

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yeah it wasnt that entertaining but that was because Leonard wanted to win, not to have a good fight. Hearns came looking for a KO against Hagler, what happened? Leonard wanted this to be a boxing match cause he was a superior boxer, if it would have been a slugfest SRL wouldave been knocked out. Leonard won :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts