Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today (November 3) former heavyweight champion (1978-1985) Larry Holmes turns 58 years old. The gym all chipped in and bought him something or other and all signed a card for his B-day. So, happy birthday Larry!

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rayman said:
Wow, I can't believe he's that old. What kind of shape is he in overall?
He's in pretty good shape acctually. He looks a little heavier than he was against Butterbean. He's about 270, take some of the fat away, about 230. He's in shape, but not in fighting shape. He is still faster than 80% of the heavyweights now, but he lost some power. Still, you know it when he hits the heavybag. You here "THUD" along with a loud grunt. You look over, and the bag is flying somewhere or other.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LeedsLad said:
is he punch drunk at all bill? Considering a comeback at all?;)
He's not punch drunk, but his eyes are a little puffy, and his thumb is still screwed up from breaking it on Roy "Tiger" Williams forehead in 1976, the heavybag twice in 1976 and 1992, and on Micheal Spinks elbow in the rematch. He'll only fight Foreman now, or anyone who starts running there mouth in the gym and wants to spar that is anygood. He already KO'd a guy with a jab who is currently 9-1 in the pros.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
BigDigga said:
happy birthday to great yet underrated champion;)
Happy Birthday Larry You were a great champion but never got your just rewardsMany more Happy Birthdays to The Easton Assassin :thumbsup:

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Larry Holmes is the man dammit!
The only problem Larry had was he had to follow the great Ali
He never got the respect he truly earned

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL. Today he came into the gym in a good mood. He gave me a pointer on my jab, and he was showing how to hit the double end bag like a man! LOL. But anyways, yeah, if he had the charisma as Ali, people would call him the greatest. Larry was too brutaly honest for his own good, and had a temper.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Sadly, no matter what he did nobody would ever call him the greatest. The greatest overlooked heavyweight? Yes.
Charisma goes a long way in boxing. If Larry was before Ali, and had Ali's charisma, they would say he was the greatest and shun Ali.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
I disagree. Ali had a different style that was appreciated more than Holmes' style.
The main difference is Holmes went to the body more, and didn't show boat. Ali only went to the head, was a fraction quicker, but didn't hit as hard.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts