Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please dont turn this into a Hatton bashing thread.:thumbsup:

Ricky Hatton could be on the verge of splitting from Billy Graham.

The Hitman is reported to be considering his position with his long-time trainer following brother Matthew's decision last week to quit the Phoenix Camp.

It is not the first time there have been rumours of a rift between Hatton and Graham, but it is the first time the IBO light-welterweight champion has admitted their partnership could be in doubt.

"I will sit down with Matthew and my dad and have a good chat about it," Hatton told the Manchester Evening News.

"I will take my time and make a decision, and should be in a position to say something on it in a week or so.

"I have been on my stand-up tour and after-dinner speaking all over the place for the last few weeks, but obviously I heard about Matthew's decision."

Reports had suggested that Hatton was going to split from Graham following his knockout loss to Floyd Mayweather last December.

But the Preacher was in his corner for his successful Homecoming victory over Juan Lazcano in May - the night when younger brother Matthew failed to prise the Commonwealth welterweight title away from Craig Watson.

Matthew has since switched to Bobby Rimmer's gym where he will be trained by Graham's former assistant Lee Beard, who had a more prominent role in helping the Hitman prepare for Lazcano.

Ricky has around six weeks to make a decision on his trainer before he begins preparations for his November showdown with IBF light-welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi in Las Vegas.
Thoughts? some times fighters need a change to stay fresh.I still undecided.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I don't think theres much that Hatton can change at this point in his career so a change in trainer isn't going to have much of an effect.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I don't think theres much that Hatton can change at this point in his career so a change in trainer isn't going to have much of an effect.
I agree. It would be a bad move for sure. Especially at such a late stage. Look at what happened to Nas :laugh:

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Please dont turn this into a Hatton bashing thread.:thumbsup:

Thoughts? some times fighters need a change to stay fresh.I still undecided.
As I've said many times before changing winning trainers can be a big mistake. Think seriously Ricky

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Graham really isn't that great of trainer, but no one else is going to be able to change ricky at this point. Ricky is going to be Ricky. Dumb move imo. It'll prob just ruin him and grahams friendship.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yeah let's be honest, Graham is no world beater but at this point how much difference will it really make. Who knows what Hatton is thinking though. Maybe he thinks things have just gotten a bit stale, maybe he realises he can't walk through punches like he used to and his defence needs shoring up. Either way it might seem a bit cutthroat but I suppose that's the business.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
I'd really love to see Ricky and Graham stay together but I would absolutely LOVE to see Ricky work with Floyd Sr. That would be so kick ass and ironic.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I'd really love to see Ricky and Graham stay together but I would absolutely LOVE to see Ricky work with Floyd Sr. That would be so kick ass and ironic.
He got his head knocked off and even training with Floyd Sr. would still get his head knocked off, so I dont know how ironic it would be. He's getting tired in the later rounds and his defense is too bad for him to stay at the top of 140, so I agree with the move. Hatton probably needs different strength and cardio training, with some type of eating regimen that will help his body recover after how bad he has treated it throughout the years.

Why can't fighter and trainer ever have a separation where theres no hard feelings?

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Irrelevant move IMO. This will change NOTHING. You can't take a seasoned veteran like Hatton and try to change what he does. You do that and you make Hatton think too much. That isn't good. You don't want a brawler like Hatton thinking in the ring. That'll just get him caught earlier. Does Graham even train anyone else?

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Irrelevant move IMO. This will change NOTHING. You can't take a seasoned veteran like Hatton and try to change what he does. You do that and you make Hatton think too much. That isn't good. You don't want a brawler like Hatton thinking in the ring. That'll just get him caught earlier. Does Graham even train anyone else?
not sure now but he has trained other okay uk fighters before. so it's a possiblity

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Me to , that way hatton/floyd II never happens.
It can never happen Floyd is permanently retired. He said so himself.
You dont think Floyd lied do you??????:confused::dunno:;)

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Yeah he trained Matthew Hatton. Wow.
lol. i remember seeing someone he was training a few years abck and was liek wow i never knew that. i just dione a google and it could have been carl the cat thompson but i forgot now. all the others that were listed i don't know.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Bad idea. Like everyone has already said, Hatton is an old dog, incapable of learning any new tricks at this point. I just hope he can get past Malignaggi and not get tagged so much by someone like Lazcano.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Hatton's problem ain't his trainer. It's his declining skills

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
lol. i remember seeing someone he was training a few years abck and was liek wow i never knew that. i just dione a google and it could have been carl the cat thompson but i forgot now. all the others that were listed i don't know.
He trained Matthew Macklin didn't he? Im sure he left him after Hatton lost to Mayweather.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He brought in another guy after the Mayweather fight to work along with Graham so I saw this one coming. I don't think it will make much difference at this stage, it's only going to effect his relationship with Graham.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts