Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 814 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester

Ricky Hatton wants to avenge the only loss of his career, a tenth-round knockout suffered at the hands of Floyd Mayweather Jr. last December in Las Vegas. Hatton is now back in the gym and starting to do some light training while his team is making plans to finalize his return, which is still holding strong for the tentative date of May 24 in Manchester.

He doesn't want to become like his countryman, Prince Naseem Hamed, who walked away from the sport after suffering the first and only of his pro career. Hatton tells The Manchester Times that he wants to be remembered for something more.

“I don't want my last fight to be that fight, me on my back getting counted out to my first defeat. What sort of a champion would I be if I didn't come back and try and prove myself? Naseem Hamed's situation is a shame; he's one of the best fighters we've ever had, but unfortunately because of the way he bowed out, he's going to be remembered for his defeat rather than all the success that went before. I don't want to go down that same route," Hatton said.

“All the greatest fighters - [Rocky] Marciano being the exception - have lost and you become a good champion by coming back from adversity. If I come back stronger, people will hold me in even higher regard.” I'm not going to say how many more fights because I don't know. But there are things I still want to do: I'd like to top the bill at Madison Square Gardens, I'd like to fight in the City of Manchester Stadium. And I'd like another go at Floyd.”

The rematch with Floyd is something he wants to do before retiring. He doesn't feel that he was given a fair fight from referee Joe Cortez.

"There's one or two things I want to do and one of those is to prove people wrong. If you're a man, that's what you do. So I'd like to fight Floyd again; last time, I don't think I was given a fair crack of the whip. I've had one of the longest unbeaten reigns in the sport so whatever I was doing, I was doing right. I've always done the same thing and I'll carry on doing so.”

“I'd rather give credit to Floyd than blame the referee,” he said. “But this is not just me feeling sorry for myself and finding something to complain about. I have a lot of respect for Mr Cortez. Maybe he just had an off-night. And I was a little bit over-keen, over-eager and I made the cardinal sin of losing my composure. But I thought I could have won the fight, yet I started having arguments mid-round with the referee. I'd never done that in 43 fights. Floyd would be turning his back and I'd be saying: ‘Where do you want me to hit him when he's doing that?' It got to the point where I thought, ‘I'm scared of hitting him in case I get warned'.

Most experts didn’t give Hatton much of a chance in December, and they don’t give him much of a chance in a rematch. Hatton says Collazo and Phillips were tougher fights.

“I've honestly had tougher fights. Like any great champion, Floyd found the right punches at the right time. When I fought Vince Phillips and Luis Collazo, I wasn't in the best shape afterwards, I was sore and really tired. Even after being knocked out by Floyd, I don't think it was a physically demanding fight; I'd felt worse after six-rounders."

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First of all, I don't think a rematch happens. There is absolutely no point, and the outcome would be the same.

·
Registered
830 Posts
First of all, I don't think a rematch happens. There is absolutely no point, and the outcome would be the same.
Hatton isn't a wleterweight and never has been, that was his biggest problem. The only other fight in his life at welterweight was against Collazo and most people feel he lost that fight. After looking bad at wleterweight against Collazo he stepped back down to light welter and was back to the Hatton we know against Urango and Castillo. The only other fight in his career back at wleterweight was Mayweather. Incidently after the Collazo fight his trainer Billy Graham said he never wanted Hatton to fight at Welterweight again as he is quote not a welterweight.

Personally I think Hatton would have a great chance of beating Mayweather, but only if the fight was at Hatton's natural light welterweight. Hatton can never beat Mayweather at Welterweight, and he can't beat any natural Welterweight in my opinion, Cotto would also do him.

A rematch wont happen and to be honest the original fight should never have happened unless Mayweather moved down as it was simply outside Hattons natural weight class and too much of a problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Second Chances

I personally think hatton might be the only man to stand up against mayweather.

HATTON WILL HAVE TO LEARN MORE SKILLFUL CUNNING BOXING THEN JUST COMING IN HEAD FIRST. HE PUNCHING STYLE IS UNIQUE BUT HE NEEDS TO ADAPT A WAY TO LEARN HOW TO FIGHT OUTSIDE. COUNTER PUNCHING IS OUT HE DOESNT HAVE THE SPEED DIEGO ALREADY TRIED THAT AND WAS MADE A FOOL OF. SO HES GOING HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO KEEP A DISTANCE AT THE SAME TIME WALKING IN. IM THINKING OF MORE LIKE FRAIZER STANCE HEAD TILTED LIKE A BULL. HES ALREADY AIGLIE (SPELL CHECK. SO (((LEANING)))) IN TO PUNCH IS OUT!!! OF THE QUESTION. HES GONNA HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO MOVE HIS HEAD MORE WHILE HES MOVING AND KEEPING THE HANDS UP WHILE HE THROWS. LOL AND NO MORE LUNGING HOOKS!!!!!

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hatton isn't a wleterweight and never has been, that was his biggest problem. The only other fight in his life at welterweight was against Collazo and most people feel he lost that fight. After looking bad at wleterweight against Collazo he stepped back down to light welter and was back to the Hatton we know against Urango and Castillo. The only other fight in his career back at wleterweight was Mayweather. Incidently after the Collazo fight his trainer Billy Graham said he never wanted Hatton to fight at Welterweight again as he is quote not a welterweight.

Personally I think Hatton would have a great chance of beating Mayweather, but only if the fight was at Hatton's natural light welterweight. Hatton can never beat Mayweather at Welterweight, and he can't beat any natural Welterweight in my opinion, Cotto would also do him.

A rematch wont happen and to be honest the original fight should never have happened unless Mayweather moved down as it was simply outside Hattons natural weight class and too much of a problem.
Hatton would get beat at 140 as well. Just because the weight limit is 147 doesn't mean Hatton has to weight that much. He could have come it at 140 if he thought he would be that much better. Floyd + or - a few pounds isn't the reason Hatton lost. Floyd is just on a different level from Hatton.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I personally think hatton might be the only man to stand up against mayweather.

HATTON WILL HAVE TO LEARN MORE SKILLFUL CUNNING BOXING THEN JUST COMING IN HEAD FIRST. HE PUNCHING STYLE IS UNIQUE BUT HE NEEDS TO ADAPT A WAY TO LEARN HOW TO FIGHT OUTSIDE. COUNTER PUNCHING IS OUT HE DOESNT HAVE THE SPEED DIEGO ALREADY TRIED THAT AND WAS MADE A FOOL OF. SO HES GOING HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO KEEP A DISTANCE AT THE SAME TIME WALKING IN. IM THINKING OF MORE LIKE FRAIZER STANCE HEAD TILTED LIKE A BULL. HES ALREADY AIGLIE (SPELL CHECK. SO (((LEANING)))) IN TO PUNCH IS OUT!!! OF THE QUESTION. HES GONNA HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO MOVE HIS HEAD MORE WHILE HES MOVING AND KEEPING THE HANDS UP WHILE HE THROWS. LOL AND NO MORE LUNGING HOOKS!!!!!
I agree, but it is a little too late for Hatton to attempt to change anything. He's been doing that for a long time, and I can't see him fixing it. They could fight ten times and Floyd would win every time at 40 or 47.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
hese two will fight again, i'll bet every point i have on that.

Theres to much money to be made.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is less point in a rematch here than the rematch with Oscar. I don't really care if it happens again or not. I just don't care to see Floyd stop him again. This would be just another Vegas fight keeping Floyd from Cotto.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
hese two will fight again, i'll bet every point i have on that.

Theres to much money to be made.
No they won't. Mayweather doesn't need Hatton to make good money. He makes it with out him. Hatton had his chance and failed miserably. He needs to move on.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I'm saying. The only reason I could see Floyd taking this fight is that it is easy money. He knows he can't lose and could MAYBE come up with some BS reason to justify fighting Hatton again. Hatton knows (like he did before the first fight) that he has no shot. He just wants another pay day.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
No they won't. Mayweather doesn't need Hatton to make good money. He makes it with out him. Hatton had his chance and failed miserably. He needs to move on.
He only makes super cash against cash cows like Hatton and Oscar, Floyd couldn't sell a black cat to a witch on his own!

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Bbbbuuuuulllllllllssssssssshhhhhhhiiiiiiiitttttttttt!
LMAO !!

Whats the most he's made from a fight without a cash cow?

$12m?

Thats still good dough but he'll never be a 20+ guy without the cash cow.

·
Banned
589 Posts
There is less point in a rematch here than the rematch with Oscar. I don't really care if it happens again or not. I just don't care to see Floyd stop him again. This would be just another Vegas fight keeping Floyd from Cotto.
I Dont See A Rematch In The Near Future. This Was A Very Solid Preformance By Ricky He Couldnt Have Hoped For Any Better. But Floyd Knocked Him Completely Out, And After He Fights DLH Again Goldenboy Isnt Gonna Be To Eager To Give Floyd The 10's Of Millions He Seeks, Unless They're Promoting Cotto. And As Far As Cotto Goes Can He Really Challenge Floyd? We've Saw His Preformance Against Shane, It Was Solid But Shane Had A Very Basic Gameplan And Allowed Cotto To Set The Tempo. But If Shane Gave Him Problems Late, Mayweather Crusies To An Easy Victory. I Think Mayweather Would Look Sharper, Adjust Better And Confuse Cotto More Than Shane Did. Mayweather Would Also Prove To Be Harder To Hit Than Shane Was. Listen Im Not A Cotto Fan, Hell I Even Like Calzaghe More Than I Like Cotto, But I Dont Think It's In Floyd's Best Interest To Avoid This Guy Any Longer. With Every Fight It Seems As If Cotto's Knowledge And Skill In The Sport Grows At A Tremendous Rate, If He Continues On This Pace He Will Truly Prove To Be Floyd's Toughest Challenge.

·
Banned
589 Posts
LMAO !!

$12m?

I Disagree He's Only Had One Fight Without Bob Arum And DLH, And He Never Saw 8 Figures With Arum. But With That Said How Many Fighters Have Made 20+ Without A Cash Cow, Or A Big Name Fighter To Go Up Against?

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Hatton has never made anything close to 12 million in his career besides floyd. Hatton may have fans, but Floyd is the cash cow in boxing now adays. Either way, The only 2 gusy in the world that can fight bums and still do a million ppv is oscar and tyson. And oscar has only done a million on a few occasions, and he needed tito or hopkins to help. Anywayz, floyd knocks hatton out again, only sooner.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LMAO !!

$12m?

Floyd will be making huge money in every fight from here on out. It ain't about what happened in the past. Floyd has arrived.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
5 years ago , floyd promised he'd be Mr PPV himself. Turns out, Floyd was right. He'll be making 20 plus million every fight from here on out. No matter who he fights. You guys can disagree all you want, i'll show you the facts after his next couple fights.

1 - 20 of 814 Posts