Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The next fight for Ricky Hatton (43-1, 31KOs) has been officially announced by his camp. Hatton steps back in the ring against Juan Lazcano (37-4, 27KOs) at the City of Manchester Stadium on May 24. He returns for the first time since suffering the only loss of his career, a knockout at the hands of Floyd Mayweather Jr. last December.

"It is a homecoming fight and it's an absolute dream come true to be fighting back in Manchester," said Hatton told the BBC. "I'm down the home straight of my career with everything I have done so far. But I'm back down to my normal weight and it's my aim to come back and slam the door on everyone who thinks I'm finished. You prove yourself to be great by coming back from obstacles which are put in front of you."

Hatton's father/manager Ray told the Manchester Evening News that he expects a record crowd of 55K fans, breaking the the British attendance record of 42K for Benn/Eubank in 1993.

"Ricky is absolutely delighted. He's probably lost over £1m by having the fight here in Britain as a reward for his fans rather than going back to America which the satellite TV channels over there wanted him to do," Ray Hatton said.

"This is a Brit-friendly night. We're going for the record and hope to get up to 55,000 in the City of Manchester Stadium. It's Brit-friendly in terms of TV timings and the fans. Special planes are being laid on to bring in supporters from Ireland and throughout the UK."

I'm stoked to see Ricky back in action. Time to get back to the top of his division and hopeully a blockbuster fight to cap off his career.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a garbage fight. Lazcano best days are behind him. Another shot fighter for Hattons resume
Give the guy a break. He just got done with a very difficult fight and training camp. Add in the press tour and the mental recovery and Ricky deserves an easier fight. He'll be back to fighting champs by September or October.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Give the guy a break. He just got done with a very difficult fight and training camp. Add in the press tour and the mental recovery and Ricky deserves an easier fight. He'll be back to fighting champs by September or October.
Don't give me that shitt. A lot of fighters take difficult fights after another. Pavlik, Taylor, Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez are some. For the amount of money Hatton is going to get paid, he could of found a better opponent. Especially considering this is going to be PPV in the UK

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't give me that shitt. A lot of fighters take difficult fights after another. Pavlik, Taylor, Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez are some. For the amount of money Hatton is going to get paid, he could of found a better opponent. Especially considering this is going to be PPV in the UK

Dude, I just want to see Hatton get back to form. I want him to get back to who he is so he can make a climb towards another marque fight. I really want him to unify and call Floyd out again, but down to 140. But we won't start that argument again.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Dude, I just want to see Hatton get back to form. I want him to get back to who he is so he can make a climb towards another marque fight. I really want him to unify and call Floyd out again, but down to 140. But we won't start that argument again.
If that's the case, why put the fight on PPV?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Hatton-Lazcano is PPV in the UK?

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I'd say I'm justifying as a fan.
That's even worse. You should be ashame of yourself. With Torres and Witter available as opponents, how can you justify Lazcano? Unless your so infatuated with Hatton that he can do no wrong in your eyes. If that's the case, than you don't need to explain yourself

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well maybe Ricky has been permanently damaged after the fight with Floyd. A gimme fight is the perfect way to find out if he still got it.

There ya go! If Ricky isn't the same I don't want him getting badly injured in a fight. He didn't do a damn thing to deserve a lifelong issue. I hope he wipes Lazcano out and heads straight towards Paulie or Witter. If he can do that and clean up the division i'd love to see VD talk smack then.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He wont do that because he wont fight Witter , i dont if hes scared of him or what it is , but the i dont like him so i wont fight him dont work for me anymore.
I think you were missing some words there but I grasped the concept. I do beleive Witter will end up being the next fight or the fight after this one. I expect it no later than February of next year.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
There ya go! If Ricky isn't the same I don't want him getting badly injured in a fight. He didn't do a damn thing to deserve a lifelong issue. I hope he wipes Lazcano out and heads straight towards Paulie or Witter. If he can do that and clean up the division i'd love to see VD talk smack then.
But other fighters did, right? Boxing is a pain game. Boxers know the risks. For the amount of money he's getting paid, he should be giving the fans a better fight. I would love to see Hatton try and clean up the 140 division. But it doesn't seem like he has the heart to do it. Avoiding Witter cuz he doesn't like him is fukking lame.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Rafael Marquez and Israel Vazquez didn't need no gimmes to see if they had anything left. And they did it for far less money
Their 3 fights were as close and controversial as a fight can be. These guys are evenly matched. They don't need no gimmies because they already fought each other and they both looked good everytime. Ricky, on the other hand received a lot of punishment in a fight where he was clearly outclassed. He was defeated for the 1st time and he was KO'd on top of that. The kind of things that can break a fighter. He wanna know if he's still hungry and we're all gonna find out. Trust me I'd love to see him fight Witter or Paulie but what's the point if he's not as hungry as before? They could have found a more competitive fighter but they picked someone who was available. That's the way it is.

I'm more interested in seeing Ricky fight Witter since Paulie looked very beatable in his last performance.

He wont do that because he wont fight Witter , i dont know if hes scared of him or what it is , but the i dont like him so i wont fight him dont work for me anymore.
That reason is starting to sound suspect. He said he didn't want to give him his biggest payday but Witter would be Ricky's biggest payday at the moment (besides Paulie at MSG and no I don't think he'll fight Floyd again).

1 - 20 of 60 Posts