Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hatton rejects Oscar fight!

Monday, June 9 2008 Fight News.com

IBO 140lb champion Ricky Hatton will not step in for retired Floyd Mayweather in a big money bout against his promoter Oscar de la Hoya in September. Hatton's father and business manager told BBC Sport that "The Hitman" is focused on a November fight with IBF jr welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi. Other names bandied about in the media as Oscar's new opponent include Winky Wright and the winner between Miguel Cotto-Antonio Margarito. An announcement is expected this week from Golden Boy regarding Oscar's plans. Team Hatton, meanwhile, is relishing the possibility of a clash with Manny Pacquiao, should he win the WBC 135lb crown against David Diaz.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Im glad to see Hatton is focusing on winning some titles, good move for him.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Shows what a coward Hatton really is
that crystal meth must get you really eggy, i haven't seen you post a positive post since i've been on the site.

i think this is a good move for hatton, it shows he wants to regain his titles in the jnr welterweight division, before he fights again at a bigger weight, a good move from hatton in my view. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think to call Hatton a coward for not fighting De la hoya is ridiculous! Oscar's too big, it would have been a mis-match- just seems the obvious, sensible thing to do!!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I don't know that it shows that Ricky is a coward. I give him credit for passing up on a gigantic payday to fight the fights he feels are best for him to accomplish his goals. Maybe he is lacking confidence and that's why he doesn't want to fight Oscar or maybe it's just that he does want to unify the 140 pound division and continue his reign as the recognized champ for a while longer. Besides, what weight would they fight at anyway? Oscar is a junior middleweight and he has fought at middleweight, Ricky has said he's never fighting above 140 again. I don't see Oscar going down that far and if Ricky is true to his word, he's not moving back up, even to welter. Can you imagine an 154 pound Hitman? Not a pretty sight...

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
oscar already declined fighting hatton. oscar was the guy who suggested ricky fights best at 140 and should stay there. infact oscar said this weeks ago. also since oscar promotes hatton, he wouldn't want to beat hatton and lose a chance to give hatton more fights to make them both more money.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Hatton doesn't need to fight De la Hoya, What a stupid fight that would be. I'm glad Hatton is focusing on things at junior welterweight.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts