Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ricky Hatton's former trainer Billy Graham has claimed it was the boxer's decision to end their 11-year partnership and described the news as a "huge blow". Contesting the Hatton camp's version of the split, Graham said he did announce his retirement but only after Hatton met him on Monday to declare that Graham's days as his chief cornerman were over.

"I was sacked," Graham said, "but if Ricky wants to finish with me that's entirely up to him. As a result I have decided it is a good time to retire. I'm not going to get into a slanging match with Ricky because we've been through too much together. I always said I would retire when Ricky finished and I had hoped to stick it out to the end.

"We've spent half our lives together and we've changed each other's lives. It's a fantastic story and I'm not going to ruin it by bad-mouthing him. I wish him all the best for his next fight."

Hatton will return to the ring without Graham - who has trained the Hitman for all his 45 contests in a professional career than began in 1997 - for his next fight against Paulie Malignaggi in Las Vegas on November 22. "It's not over between me and Ricky just because I'm not training him anymore. I'll be there and I'll be urging him on. I just won't be in his corner - that's the only difference," Graham said.

Boxing: Retired trainer Billy Graham claims that Ricky Hatton sacked him | Sport | guardian.co.uk

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Ricky Hatton's former trainer Billy Graham has claimed it was the boxer's decision to end their 11-year partnership and described the news as a "huge blow". Contesting the Hatton camp's version of the split, Graham said he did announce his retirement but only after Hatton met him on Monday to declare that Graham's days as his chief cornerman were over.

"I was sacked," Graham said, "but if Ricky wants to finish with me that's entirely up to him. As a result I have decided it is a good time to retire. I'm not going to get into a slanging match with Ricky because we've been through too much together. I always said I would retire when Ricky finished and I had hoped to stick it out to the end.

"We've spent half our lives together and we've changed each other's lives. It's a fantastic story and I'm not going to ruin it by bad-mouthing him. I wish him all the best for his next fight."

Hatton will return to the ring without Graham - who has trained the Hitman for all his 45 contests in a professional career than began in 1997 - for his next fight against Paulie Malignaggi in Las Vegas on November 22. "It's not over between me and Ricky just because I'm not training him anymore. I'll be there and I'll be urging him on. I just won't be in his corner - that's the only difference," Graham said.

Boxing: Retired trainer Billy Graham claims that Ricky Hatton sacked him | Sport | guardian.co.uk
Very classy on Graham's part!:thumbsup: Sometimes change is good. Will it be for Hatton? I don't think so, but you don't know until you try.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Hatton needs to get in the ring and stop Malignaggi asap, or I'll start to believe that his career is over. He HAS to stop Paulie. Absolutely HAS to.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Hatton needs to get in the ring and stop Malignaggi asap, or I'll start to believe that his career is over. He HAS to stop Paulie. Absolutely HAS to.
No doubt Hatton has to beat Paulie. As much as I think he will, if he doesn't his career is most definitely down the shitter. You cant lose to a guy you HAVE TO BEAT!

G

·
I wouldn't say he HAS to stop Malignaggi. He has a good chin and went 12 rounds with Cotto who knocked out 6 guys in a row going into the fight. I'm expecting Hatton to give him a good beating but I don't know about the stoppage.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Why does he have to stop Paulie? I know he needs a good performance but I don't know about a stoppage.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I wouldn't say he HAS to stop Malignaggi. He has a good chin and went 12 rounds with Cotto who knocked out 6 guys in a row going into the fight. I'm expecting Hatton to give him a good beating but I don't know about the stoppage.
I don't think he meant a stoppage I think he meant just beating him...

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
i saw a clip of malligani at the hof'ers thing. he was saying he can't keep breaking his hands because it's costing him a fortune, so maybe his boxing career won't last too much longer. i've always seen him really confident and talk a lot of **** but he didn't seem most happy in that interview.

if hatton does not beat him, i will be shocked. hatton will have to give the performance of his life to ko paulie imo.

G

·
There's nobody would love to see Malignaggi put to sleep more than me. Even if it's from a brick thrown from the crowd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts