Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having real issues trying to dance around the ring. No one has been able to get me to dance around. I get the basic movement of it, and the mechanics, just for some reason, when it starts to get fast, or even out of slow thing, my feet don't work. They are trying to get me to dance around, Larry's tried, all of the trainers have tried, my tennis instructors have tried, all have failed. They say "can't you hear the beat?" "can't you feel the music?" and I say "I can hear, but I can't feel it." which is true. I want to be able to dance around, I want to be able to be light on my feet, but for some reason my feet don't want to. I'm an all right runner, and I'm an all right jumpere, just for some reason my feet don't want to go up and down and all around to dance around the ring. Any tips? Or if you had the same problem, what did you do to fix it?

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Bill, are you what you would call a flat-footed person?
Try to keep the weight on the balls of your feet more. Since your still young and growing, it may just be a coordination thing that you need to grow into. When I was younger, I grew very rapidly (about 8" in 2 1/2 years) and as a result my coordination was a little behind.

Playing basketball helped me immensely. Ball dribbling techniques and drills really helped my hand eye coordination.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, my coordination is fine, and also, when I try getting on the balls of my feet, all it does is make it uncomfortable. Yes, I am flat footed, but I know the mechanics though.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Captainobvious99 said:
Is your footwork and rythm good when your working the heavy bag, and just not translating into sparring? Or is it just bad either way ?

Its fine on the heavybag, alright in sparring, and terrible at everything else.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Sounds like you need to incorporate some rounds of movement/footwork/shadow boxing into your routine. If thats a weak point for you, put a bit more time into it. You know that a boxer without good movement is an easy target

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Captainobvious99 said:
Sounds like you need to incorporate some rounds of movement/footwork/shadow boxing into your routine. If thats a weak point for you, put a bit more time into it. You know that a boxer without good movement is an easy target

No, thats all in my routine. Its the first thing I do. My trainer is starting to dance around me trying to get me to do it, but all I do is go forward after him, occasionaly cutting off the ring, but he can move!!! The one day Larry tried for 15 min, but to no avail. He would show me how, and I would do it, but then it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
try to develope your own rythem, it should be a longer, slower rythem if your more of a boxer and a shorter faster rythem if your a slugger, it just takes time

·
Registered
9 Posts
skipping rope as fast as you can will help also check your posture put your weight forward it will actually make you sturdier, but still more agile

1 - 10 of 10 Posts