Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haye gets put at five in new WBC heavyweight rankings!

Cruserweight king David 'The Hayemaker' Haye has been installed at number five in the newly released World Boxing Council (WBC) heavyweight rankings. The lofty ranking comes as a result of Haye's dominance in winning WBC, WBA and WBO titles as a cruiserweight in addition to his first-round demolition of WBC no.11-ranked heavyweight Thomasz Bonin in April 2007. The WBC champion is currently 'Nigerian Nightmare' Samuel Peter and, given Haye's high rating, the London sensation could be only one win away from competing for and taking Peter's title.

Here are the WBC top 15 rankings in full:

Champion: Samuel Peter (NIG)

1 .- Vladimir Virchis (Ukraine) EBU
2 .- Juan Carlos Gomez (Cuba) INTL
3 .- John Ruiz (P. Rico)
4 .- Alexander Dimitrenko (Ukraine)
5 .- David Haye (GB)
6 .- Oleg Maskaev (Kazakhstan)
7 .- Chris Arreola (US) AMERICA
8 .- Hasim Rahman (US)
9 .- Andrew Golota (Poland)
10 .- Kali Meehan (New Zealand)
11 .- Donnell Holmes (US)
12 .- Travis Walker (US) NABF
13 .- JD Chapman (US)
14 .- Carl Davis Drummond (Costa Rica) FECARBOX
15 .- Oliver McCall (US)
-As seen on Haye's MySpace

·
Registered
119 Posts
5 is way too high ;) :(
Maybe in principle, but look at all the other people in the list and i'm pretty sure i'd rather see Haye get a title shot than the rest of them, Plus it'll be at least a year or more before he gets a shot so it'll give him time to both find his feet, and to earn a ranking.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
sometimes the individuals governing bodies are realistic in terms of the whole division.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Yeah, he's more exciting than the other guys on the list, but he's only fought at heavyweight once, so him getting that gift ranking is BS.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
whoops i meant they aren't realistic. rankings is representative of how hard you work in your fights and win. he may have the ability to be a top heavy, but it aint worthy of a top 10 ranking yet. it's just he had a cruiser wbc title. the wbc is the most smart body. they suck balls of people who will be exicitng and make them money.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
If a guy holds an alphabet belt at a certain weight don't they automatically get a high ranking with that same organisation if they move up? I thought they did, but i maybe wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Sounds like that would make sense... In MOST cases.
200 lbs to a division with 240 / 270 pound fighters shouldn't be one of them. from 112 to 115 etc it would be

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
He was the unified (almost) undisputed cruserweight champ, so I see it well deserved. The heavyweight division sucks and in any other division Haye would be #1, since he vacated and moved up.

G

·
It's just the way it is. Haye cleaned up at CW and he's strongly tipped to win the HW world title. I think 5th is fair.

·
Registered
119 Posts
And it's what the WBO are doing for Guzman moving up to lightweight.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Maybe in principle, but look at all the other people in the list and i'm pretty sure i'd rather see Haye get a title shot than the rest of them, Plus it'll be at least a year or more before he gets a shot so it'll give him time to both find his feet, and to earn a ranking.
Haye is unproven at Heavyweight though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Haye is unproven at Heavyweight though.
Well there was that knockout of Bonin, but i know what you mean. However, you could say the same about Guzman moving up and immediately being made mandatory for campbell. Or Pacquiao and Marquez immediately getting lightweight shots. Or even calzaghe getting to fight Hopkins without first establishing himself in the light heavies.

I think sometimes it's just worth taking into account a fighter's proven quality and ranking them accordingly. I'd rather see the best fight the best than have them wade through a lot of C+ fighters just to get anywhere near each other. I'd say that Haye unifying the cruiserweights and getting a good ranking is pretty fair in terms of precedents, considering Holyfield got an immediate title shot.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
He was the unified (almost) undisputed cruserweight champ, so I see it well deserved. The heavyweight division sucks and in any other division Haye would be #1, since he vacated and moved up.
So does the Cruiserweight division :thumbsup: ;)

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
So does the Cruiserweight division :thumbsup: ;)
the cruiser weight isn't actually that bad. it's just that they aint fighting each other.

i mean there's about 5-6 names atleast that need to fight and are decent fighters.

basically a division can be amde a lot more better if more fights are made. i mean atleast 2 fights a eyar per fighter.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts