Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Golden Boy Promotions have announced that David Haye's first fight at heavyweight will take place on November 29, while Oscar De La Hoya's will bring down the curtain on his legendary career a week later.

Haye will fight a top ten-ranked heavyweight in London's O2 Arena, live on Setanta Sports, with the winner of Hasim Rahman and James Toney's July 16 bout a strong possibility.

The Hayemaker, who has recently been named number five in the world by the WBC, hopes that victory in this bout can set up a meeting with Wladimir Klitschko for the summer of 2009.

De La Hoya meanwhile seems increasingly likely to face Miguel Angel Cotto on December 6, assuming he gets past a tough bout with Antonio Margarito (live on Setanta Sports on July 26), after Floyd Mayweather's retirement earlier this month.

Meanwhile, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer also confirmed to ESPN two intriguing lightweight matches that could have a baring in who Amir Khan fights when he eventually looks to challenge for a world title.

Juan Diaz, who sensationally lost his lightweight crown to Nate Campbell earlier this year, will fight one of the world's most entertaining fighters, Michael Katsidis, on September 6.

A week later Ring Magazine champion and WBO interim titlist, Joel Casamayor will take on Juan Manuel Marquez, who like Manny Pacquiao is stepping up to lightweight after their second bout (which he controversially lost) in March.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Quite easy for Haye. He's not that active though, and he won't do much if he don't carry on past 30 like he said.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
i am definately gonna go to see this fight. seems good

·
Banned
145 Posts
whoever Haye fights he should win because toney and rahman are both way past it.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
KO'ng Tony would be one hell of a way to start a legend.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
The dude is like a brick wall. Your hands have to hurt more than his head after you box him.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Toney is getting caught a lot more these days and that is to be expected. I think him and Rahman will be close again and i think if Toney wins though Dave maybe able to force a stoppage. I dont think he'll knock him out though.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
hate seems an emotional guy. when he went to wlad and called him out to his face, he had an kinda nervous emotion. i would imgaine if toney was saying ****, then haye would get upset and angry. kinda like how lewis and rahman got angry.

i hope haye gets to fight rahman since rahman is more known in the uk than toney.

i think haye has the tools only because he says he has to starve himself for 18 weeks to make cruiser and that's why his legs can go. he also says the shots that dropped him, he doesn't see and he feels that not amny at heavy have the speed that he can't read the shots. it's a convincing story, but i will pass my judgement once he has a fight with one of these.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He looked sensational in his last outing at the weight but it was against a limited fighter. Still, he done what no other had.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
He looked sensational in his last outing at the weight but it was against a limited fighter. Still, he done what no other had.
the thing is, bonin is a fat chump. i was impressed but my main concerns are.

can haye fight for 12 rounds and not weaken.

can haye actually fight a fight when he can't ko someone. i.e toney, although toney would get outboxed because of many factors lol.

has he now gained enough experience since getting taught a lesson by thompson.

audley once showed maybe he was a contender, but he had stamina issues. it was clear since he was still fighting 8 rounders. i hope haye isn't a hypejob like audley. well i know he isn't.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IMO losing the weight made Dave tire in fights, he was pretty drained at cruiser.

I expect his stamina will be much better up with the big boys.

Time will tell i guess.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Haye should beat either. I could see a fight with Toney being stopped by the referee if it is in the UK, but there's no way Haye puts Toney out by KO. If he does I'll hop right on the Haye train.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What he said. Even a 260 pound Toney will find a way to slip the Hayemakers.
Dunno man. Sam Peter is very very slow and he was catching Toney a lot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts